Welcome to our Potluck 2017 Christmas

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Welcome to our Potluck 2017 Christmas

Post by Gerry » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 am

Christmas has always been my most favorite time of the year, be it entertaining over the holiday season, hosting the holiday meal or preparing a special make and take I find half the fun is in the anticipation and the planning. Each year I look forward to the pre-Christmas gatherings, holiday week, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day meals. Planning and doing make aheads can make the holidays relaxing and enjoyable for everyone.
This weekend saw me going through my recipes for the dainty tray as well as appetizers, there are the must makes and always a surprise or two. Sharing some of our favorites, inviting members to come on in and share special holiday recipes made at your house.

Must makes at our house are #recipe2363

made with Madam Benoit’s no fail pastry #recipe7166

No Bake Cookies another must make, for Christmas I do some with a with a cherry in the centre and roll in flaked coconut.
#recipe168

#recipe2385 a golden oldie favourite served at coffee hour when family and friends drop by.
I need to get a photo of another favourite the Fruited Carrot Loaf and Muffins topped with the cherry and almond ‘flower’ both made with our favoutite Carrot Cake #recipe1930

Some favorites that we enjoy over the holidays
#recipe1535, #recipe2868 and #recipe3099

Sue

Re: Welcome to our Potluck 2017 Christmas

Post by Sue » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:50 pm

Butter tarts look yummy.
Do you have a recipe for the full on apple pie that goes with the crust?

I make different things every year. I enjoy finding the new thing. I was playing around with a chestnut buttercream this year for a Buche de Noel. The cake is good but that buttercream I knocked out of the ballpark. I'll be using that one again in something else.

When Sarah visits she likes the grape jelly meatballs, and I will make those for her. Gabriel likes quiche so I might make mini quiches this year, but I am bored with the same "usual suspect" fillings. I made a quiche earlier in the year that had pear halves in it, but that can get weird for some people since they want the mundane things.

I love appies, always looking for new ones. I made some devils on horseback last week, but the Medjool dates are kind of expensive to get the ones big enough.
Speaking of expensive--the truffles have been at the market and one little truffle was about $80US...cheese and crackers!

I always think of Bergy making appies ahead and just whipping them out and baking in a few minutes (how genius!) so maybe some new ideas are forthcoming?

ellie

Post by ellie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

I love cooking for Christmas and love looking for new recipes. One thing I make every year (over 40 years now) is this coffee bread: http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/finnis ... ulla-22200. My family doesn't think it is Christmas without it!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Great to see members posting! While we have the givens I too love to add new recipes at holiday time Sue. I always add surprises to the holiday meals. Have been admiring that Buche de Noel of yours, been one long while since I have made a Yule Log, when I do I will certainly give that one a try. That Buttercream sounds awesome.

A few years back Cathy added quiche to our holiday brunch which had me pick up some lovely individual mini pans that are begging to be used. Would love a couple of great quiche recipes. Do share. The apple pie is from a long ago recipe for using fall apples from my backyard garden, it soon became my go to for both fall and market apples when making apple pies. #recipe2995

I always look forward to Bergy's appetizers and I too am hoping to see a number of them added to our 2017 Recipezazz Christmas. :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:27 pm

So pleased you shared your recipe for braided Coffee Bread Ellie. Love recipes that become holiday traditions, thank you for sharing! Have it printed and will be looking for powdered cardamon. May not get to it before Christmas but it will make a great addition to a family brunch. Please add more of your favorite holiday recipes!

ellie

Post by ellie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Gerry wrote:So pleased you shared your recipe for braided Coffee Bread Ellie. Love recipes that become holiday traditions, thank you for sharing! Have it printed and will be looking for powdered cardamon. May not get to it before Christmas but it will make a great addition to a family brunch. Please add more of your favorite holiday recipes!
I use the pods and smash the seeds with a rolling pin but my son likes using the ground which is easier.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm

A few of our favourites for holiday appetisers
#recipe123

#recipe2543

Two more favourites, #recipe20938 and #recipe20911

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:29 am

Finally getting some of my baking done, and then on to the final planning of the holiday appetizers and menus.

Christmas Eve will see to our traditional #recipe1154

And ForeverMamma's #recipe25698

Still needing to be finalized are the appetizers and the charcuterie board then on to the Christmas Day mini brunch and dinner which will be served at 5:00. You may want to have a look at our 2016 holiday recipes as I plan to do. Please do come on in and add some of your holiday favourites.
http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... 42&t=11837