THANKSGIVING 2017

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

THANKSGIVING 2017

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:34 pm

This weekend is our CanadianThanksgiving long weekend, on the fourth Thursday in November the American. A time when we gather to give thanks for all the blessings, the harvest and our family and friends. This year as we gather amid a very troubled world we give thanks for the love and comfort we receive from those around us, giving thanks and sharing our many blessings.

Here Thanksgiving weekend is family time and at our house turkey, ham and pumpkin pie are a given for the main event and as always the table rounded by the offerings of family members much as we do for potlucks. Each year an added surprise recipe or two has become a tradition in the making.

While most of us have our givens I am sure we all like to add something new to our holiday menus. Do share your special Thanksgiving recipes and photos to our 2017 Thanksgiving.

#recipe2055

#recipe11294

#recipe6732

#recipe15690

#recipe10722

One of my favourite recipes for the smaller Thanksgivinging family gatherings, this one never fails to impress.

#recipe2372

For the ham lovers, I may vary the accompaniments but this ham is a given

#recipe8741

Netgirl

Re: THANKSGIVING 2017

Post by Netgirl » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:17 pm

That all looks scumptious! :o Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:35 pm

We love vegetable appetizers, this year adding

#recipe20911 along with #recipe5713

Two of our favourite holiday vegetables

#recipe124

#recipe7847

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:00 pm

My family is very small.
In the past I have done all the usual:
Turkey, glazed ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes,roasted brussies and cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie. Dinner rolls, giblet gravy.

This year I might make a pumpkin cobbler and a pecan pie. Jellied cranberry sauce from scratch, possibly stuffed cornish hens with some other entree, like moussaka, always need mashed and gravy for my daughter. I like bread, maybe I'll make a sourdough loaf. Possibly roasted veggies.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:27 pm

With the travel time and growing families our gatherings have become smaller and much like with you Sue comes change. Have the turkey and the ham, this year only half the ham will be made. The side dishes and salads are being cut back, as for desserts no longer the dessert table of the past. There will be two pumpkin pies. I would be ever so pleased if you would share your recipes and photos especially your pumpkin cobbler that is so a new to me recipe!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:26 am

A very happy Thanksgiving to all our friends to the north.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Thank you for dropping in Netgirl and loveretiement, be sure to come back and share your favorites, am also hoping we see more members stop by and share to make Recipezazz the place to come for holiday recipes!

This morning I am preparing the pastry shells for the pumpkin pie using Madam Benoit’s very freezer friendly #recipe7166, this year my mom’s pumpkin pie will be added to our traditional family Thanksgiving recipes.

#recipe7166

#recipe2235

#recipe2730

To enjoy family over the long weekend adding salads and make aheads to round the table frees up kitchen time. With three days of meals I like to prepare and have a well-stocked fridge filled with family favorites.

Zesty Corn Salad is a one of those make aheads that is great to have on hand on holiday weekends, a salad we enjoy that tastes as good as it looks.

#recipe2201

Potato salad is an absolute must make when we gather over holiday weekends. Another make-ahead salad I like to make early in the day to allow for the ingredients to blend. A recent addition to our holiday table is Cauliflower Potato Salad as alternate for the low carbs. Both carber and noncarbers enjoyed, made for an empty bowl. It has been added to my Holiday Cookbook.

#recipe8571

And always Cranberry Sauce for both turkey and chicken, this year long with ours will be making

#recipe4132

For those enjoying homemade breads two of our faourites are

#recipe126

#recipe127

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:06 pm

For anyone that loves turkey but finds a turkey far too big, Turkey Roulade Stuffed Turkey Breast. ‘Not only impressive but incredibly delicious as well. Adds an elegance to the holiday table and wows the guests. While guests hardly believe you've made it yourself, it is surprisingly easy to make. Makes for great presentation making your holiday table one that will awe your guests.’

#recipe2423

This year will once again basting my turkey with my favourite savory Provencal Butter Baste, the aroma alone makes for a ten, the turkey absolutely delicious.

#recipe28359

This year’s glazed carrots another recipe from a family memeber and one that has been added to our favourite vegetable sides, Honey Orange Glazed Carrots and Caramalized Onions
#recipe28333

Some of our favourite breakfast recipes for weekend guests

Waffles #recipe1973

#recipe9872

English Breakfast Sausage #recipe2294

Eggs in Pepper Rings #recipe5197

To add enticing natural frangrance that is warm and inviting for the holidays a potpouri simmer pot.
#recipe1960

These recipes are our family favourites for the Thanksgiving holiday, there are so wonderful recipes that could be shared by our members. Looking to see those recipes!
:)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Another great make ahead for company breakfasts.

#recipe28363

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:17 am

Wishing all my fellow Canadians a Happy Thanksgiving.