Come on in and celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Come on in and celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:06 pm

This weekend we are celebrating our Canadian Thanksgiving, a weekend of gathering of family and friends, a time to give thanks for the blessings in one's life. At our house we gather as a family for a weekend of family time with our special Thanksgiving meal on Sunday allowing time for those needing travel time home. As for Monday always plenty of turkey, dressing and cranberries left over for brunch or lunch. This weeks Memories brought up my 2012 menu which is typical of our Thanksgiving celebration, each year an added surprise recipe or two has become a tradition in the making…

2012 Memories “The cabbage rolls are made, enough dressing to make for leftovers all ready to go, the turkey is thawing. The ham is baked. Yams, turnips and freshly dug carrots and potatoes in the coldroom, fridge filled with fresh vegetables and salad makings. Pickles, homemade salad dressings, cranberries and pumpkin pies. Loving the beautiful flowers gracing the tables - yes it's Thanksgiving at our house! 2012 has not been kind to us but when counting our blessings we have much to be thankful for and we will give thanks! "I don't have the power to make life fair but I do have the power to make life joyful'!

This year daughter and son in law are hosting the Thanksgiving gathering, my make and takes will be one of my favorite holiday appetizers
#recipe123

And to assure plenty of gravy our Carol's
#recipe52

And her Pumpkin Pie ( I wasn't able to find the link so am sharing her recipe)

PUMPKIN PIE (MY FAVORITE RECIPE!)
This is my go-to recipe for pumpkin pie, hope you enjoy this pie!
INGREDIENTS:----------------------------------------------
1 3/4 cups pumpkin pureed
1 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
2 large eggs, beaten
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar (white)
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (if you like a stronger clove flavor then use 1/2 teaspoon)
1 unbaked single (9-inch) pie pastry (to fit a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate)
Sweetened whipped cream (use as much as you like)
INSTRUCTIONS:--------------------------------------------
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Fit pastry into a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate, Flute edges as desired.
In a large bowl combine the pumpkin puree with the condensed milk, eggs, both sugars and all spices. Beat at medium speed using an electric mixer until well combined (about 1-2 minutes) Pour into prepared pie crust. Place the pie onto a baking sheet.
Bake in a preheated oven (bottom oven rack) oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean (do not over bake the pie).
Cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature. Dollup each slice with sweetened whipped cream.

Using my favorite Madam Benoit never fail pastry
#recipe7166

If I get to the making of an apple pie, as a glaze I will flick on a bit of water, distribute the fine sprinkling and sprinkle on sugar ... my favourite glazes
#recipe2235

For any of you still working on your Thanksgiving menu I am including a link to our Thanksgiving thread over at Potluck which has a wonderful selection of holiday recipes.
http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... 142&t=7065
I wish all of my fellow Canadians a very Happy Thanksgiving!

An open invitation to all members to come on in and share your favorite holiday recipes.

Deblum

Re: Come on in and celebrate our Canadian Thanksgiving

Post by Deblum » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:03 pm

I'm not Canadian but I'm saving that pumpkin pie recipe to try out, also that gravy recipe :) Happy Thanksgiving all you Canadian members!

MuggsnMuffins

Post by MuggsnMuffins » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:34 pm

Oh my that's a wonderful spread you have there Gerry! :shock: wishing a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:15 pm

Gerry, everything looks absolutely scrumptious!
Happy Thanksgiving to all our friends to the north.
Sheila

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:56 pm

That pie sounds out this world DEE-licious :!: Happy Thanksgiving!

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:57 pm

http://www.recipezazz.com/forum/viewtop ... 142&t=7065 :shock: :shock: :o :o :P :P Thank you, so much good looking holiday food Gerry!

J.Jaeger

Post by J.Jaeger » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Our Thanksgiving isn't until the end of November, here's hoping all the Canadians enjoy and have a great one! Gobble gobble that turkey, gravy and all the fixins, eat, drink and be merry!