Thanksgiving 2020

Moderator: Gerry

Gerry

Thanksgiving 2020

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:15 pm

2020 sees our holiday and special occasion celebrations unlike any we have ever known. Being a senior with added issues had me do four months self isoation, not living in fear but being realistic. I still do everything remotely and doorstep deliveries. July saw to forming a small 'bubble' as its being called which saw us together for our Canadian Thanksgiving on Oct 12.

As our Canadian Thanksgiving approached we carefully watched the numbers. Here in southern Saskatchewan we have been fortunate which saw our little group here for the Thanksgiving meal and video calling family members. Seems northern Saskatchewan has not been following through and see the map is very red at our border to the south, as the numbers go up I suspect this likely our last little get together we may see to in the coming months.

Son brined and smoked a turkey which I thought way too much work but absolutely delicious! That had me needing to rethink one of the must makes, crockpot dressing was suggested seeing me order an oval crockpot. I was so pleased I ordered a second one to add to my collection which will see four keeping things warm when we next gather. The stuffing recipe was right on for the amount of cubed and toasted bread but will have to play with that one or simply go with the herbs I usually use. Would really like to hear what recipes others have used for the crockpots,as well any tips to make cooking and serving a holiday meal easier. I plan to stay positive and hope we once again will see to a touch of normal back in our lives.

With the holiday to the south on November 26 and the escalating numbers I suspect many will see to only family members in the household and for many just one or two. Please follow the guidelines in your area to stay safe, if you are only one or two make it special, make a favourite meal, get out the table cloth, set that table, make it a special day. Take care and stay safe.

Shadows1

Re: Thanksgiving 2020

Post by Shadows1 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:45 am

No Thanksgiving here for the wife and I (U.S.) both of us are immune-compromised and will be at home without the kids and grand-kids. Both of us have been hospitalized this year and do not relish returning.

Gerry

Re: Thanksgiving 2020

Post by Gerry » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:23 am

A very wise decision Shadows, being both a senior and compromised remains I still do door stop and remote. Numbers here in small town Saskatchewan see us being careful but if numbers go up my little bubble will see me back to self isolation. Again not living in fear but realistic. So sorry to hear the two of you have had hospital time. I hang in but have to say a grocery shop would make my day. I am hoping there will be a response from our members and ideas as to making our special holiday celebrations happen, be it just one or two or family member only. I must add son's Thanksgiving smoked turkey had me think to you and Bea!