Fresh Tomato Sauce

Moderator: Axe

Tisme

Fresh Tomato Sauce

Post by Tisme » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Everyone, I am new to here, and I am from Australia, so that means (for most of you) I have crops fruiting now where most of you have winter.
We have had a mild summer here in Victoria, and I have an absolute abundance of Tomato's, Basil, Beans and Basil.... also cucumber.
Wondering if anyone has some great preserving recipe's that may use these vegie's.
I would love a great tomato/pasta sauce recipe if anyone would like to share please.
Thanks so much

Tisme (Deb)

QueenBea

Re: Fresh Tomato Sauce

Post by QueenBea » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:02 am

Hiya Deb,

I have a 2 tasty fresh tomato basil and meat sauce recipe I make and freeze during tomato season or when the tomatoes come on sale.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/fresh- ... asta-13948

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/roaste ... asta-17052

Also, if you are looking for canning recipes for tomatoes, I know Axe has a few ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:43 am

I'm in FL, so my fall crop just finished. Spring crop is about 1 month away.
I will come back with a couple of recipes; but, first ...

You can freeze them right off the vine. NO peeling, NO blanching. A good vacuum sealed bag; or, a good ziplock freezer back.

They aren't good for salsas or a fresh use; but, once thawed, the skin comes right off. Perfect to use in sauces; and, they taste great.
---------------------------------------------------------

Second, I love to roast them. They can be roasted as is, with just a little olive oil, s/p. Or you can add some garlic, herbs; or even some peppers.

I roast on a sheet pan until they start to burst and get soft and tender. Simply cool; then freeze.
They are great in soup, stews, roasts; or, you can puree until smooth for tomato sauce. Again, I leave the skins on for this.
----------------------------------------------------------

Right now, I have 2 bags of plain frozen - 2 bags of roasted without herbs; and, 2 bags of those with herbs, garlic, and peppers.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Also, you can simply puree until smooth; and, freeze. Works perfect.

JamesdoesCooking

Post by JamesdoesCooking » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:22 am

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 am

Thanks QueenBea and Kchurchill5, wonderful ideas, and I have bottled, frozen and dehydrated all my tomatoes in the last week. Another lot coming on!
Love and used both your ideas and will be using your sauce recipes soon QuennBea. :D
Kchurchill5 have done your roasted tomatoes and frozen them...Thank You :)
and have made fresh tomato sauce by AdriannaNY.
Now to use up the basil.....Possum's got the capsicum (30 or more) :cry:
and SO MUCH Rhubarb!
Picked 4 kilo of blackerry and made jam all weekend, my nails look like ............... HELL! :D
Ohh what we do as woman !!!!! lol