Anyone have experience with Grow Boxes?

Moderator: Axe

Misa

Anyone have experience with Grow Boxes?

Post by Misa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

I apologize if this is off-topic, but I want to learn to can this year, but I need to grow something first. :lol:

Has anyone have any experiences with Grow Boxes? I finally moved into my own home a few months ago, but putting in an actual garden won't be feasible this year, as we will be bringing in dirt to fix drainage issues and trying to actually grow grass. I swear, I think the builders just threw down straw, no seeds, and our attempts to fix haven't taken hold, but I digress. I like the size and they sound relatively idiot-proof, which is good in my case, because my track record with house plants is not the best.

Or if anyone can recommend a good container gardening resource, I would be very grateful!
Last edited by Misa on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lovinretirement

Re: Anyone have experience with Grow Boxes?

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 pm

I don't use grow boxes, per se, but I have an area in my basement where I set my pots of herbs or whatever I want to grow in a tray (to catch water when watering), on a bench, shelf or table. Then I bought a grow light. It's just a 3 or 4 foot hanging flourescent light (like you would use over a work bench). Hang it over the plants and put it on a timer. I keep it on 10-12 hours a day if I can't put them outside. You can buy special flourescent-type grow lights for it in a gardening catalogue. But they're expensive. Or, I just use regular flourescent lights. Leave about 6 inches above the top of the plant to the light fixture. I have fresh herbs all winter long. Happy planting! :P

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:56 pm

I have many things in the ground; but, I also have 5 Earthboxes. www.earthbox.com.

Yes, they are idiot proof. My tomatoes were literally 6' tall and more tomatoes than I could eat. Grew cabbage, peppers, scallions, lettuce too. I love them; ad they are so easy. I do 2 tomato plants and 1 pepper per box; and they get big. For lettuce, I do 8 plants, and you will get lettuce!.

But, they are moveable too. Also, you water through the top opening, so no guessing - you can't over water. They just need sun. I have had them for 8 years now, and love them.

They do have different sizes too. I have grown herbs inside, but you need to have good drainage, good light, misting, etc. A outside porch is the best for that.

These was 2 tomatoes and a pepper right before the tomatoes started to ripe, about 6' tall, the pipes are 7'.

Here was zucchini, kale, red leaf, and summer squash

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:16 pm

I just have a patio so we container garden, but not as much as we would grow if we had a garden plot.
We grow several types of chiles every year, as well as herbs maybe a tomato in a big pot. I had seen something where someone converted a wood pallet and hung that on a wall and filled it with herbs and lettuces, which would then spill over the sides. Not a bad idea really.

Misa

Post by Misa » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:28 pm

I appreciate all the input!

Lovinretirement - Thank you for describing your basement set-up. Right now, our garage is pretty packed with 2 vehicles and unpacked boxes. Maybe, some day we'll get that place organized and I could set up an herb bench. I've been dreaming of basil for months.

Kchurchill - That is a great set-up. It looks like you have had a lot of success. I like the pipe rigging. What kind of wiring do you have on that, if you don't mind sharing? The staking kits seem to be lackluster, at least on the Grow Box reviews, so I'm glad to see homemade solutions are viable. Have you tried the caster kits on your EarthBoxes? Thanks for letting me pick your brain.

Sue - The pallet is a nice idea. The things people do with pallets on Pinterest just amazes me.

I also appreciate the pictures posted! I am a visual creature, so it helps!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:01 pm

The earth boxes are so easy because you just water through a hole; so you can't over water. Yes, the pvc worked well. I just dug them in and secured with the quick set cement. I just used a coated garden wire. Nothing special. I put long eye hooks through the pvc with a nut on the back to feed the wire through. That way I can tie the plants up. Even though the pvc is in the ground, it can easily be moved.

Mine came with casters, but haven't used them since they are outside on the lawn. My friend has 6 and moves them around all the time.