How is everyone putting up their bounty?

Moderator: Axe

Dissie

How is everyone putting up their bounty?

Post by Dissie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I have canned a few things. Made pickles, apple sauce and tomatoes.

I have also frozen a few things, such as green and yellow beans, tomatoes and corn.

I have so many zucchini, didn't really care for them frozen last year, so not sure what to do with them this year. I guess I need to start stewing with tomatoes, used many up last year this way and then froze those in quart bags to use through out the winter. I have resorted to giving many away. Just over run with them!

Any ideas what to do with cabbage? I picked 6 heads today, 2 purple and 4 green. Can you freeze cabbage? Or how would you do that? Or cook up cabbage and process it for canning? No idea here. Cabbage sounded like a good idea when we planted it. I love coleslaw and cooked cabbage, but we didnt think about all coming ready at once! :lol: I know sauerkraut, but have never done that. Guess I could research a bit and try it!

Oh, and the sweet corn is ready! I picked 5 dozen today. I plan to cook it up and freeze it off the cob. Already have some of that done already. We are giving so much to friends, begging them to come pick corn! My mom is making creamed corn in her oven. Some recipe she found.

Kchurchill5

Re: How is everyone putting up their bounty?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Dis, I can email you a kraut recipe if you want
Zucc, grate and freeze. Great to use in soups, and breads. Also puree and freeze, again, freezes well for soups, muffins and breads.

cabbage pickled of course, otherwise, no idea how to freeze, other than kraut.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:37 am

Yes KC I would appreciate the recipe for kraut. It might be fun to try something new!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:26 am

Kraut

This is the best way I have found to make kraut. Now, you can make the quick version in a mason jar, in a few days - but it is just not right. This is how I have always done it. Then, I keep in the fridge for 6 months. Or freeze individual bags.

5 lbs of cabbage, shredded (about 3 large heads or 4 medium), It should be about 20 cups shredded
3 tablespoons kosher salt or pickling salt, I have always used kosher

1 large plastic container or bucket, sterilized that will hold 20 cups of cabbage, and at least 5" from the top of the container.
1 kitchen bag, and 1 large aluminum pan, that the plastic container can set in

Add 1/3 of the kraut and 1/3 of the salt to the plastic container and mix using VERY clean hands. Or you can use a wooden spoon. You want to bruise the cabbage. mix it up squeezing it, use a wooden spoon and break it up a bit; or use a meat mallet and smash it a few times. This allows the cabbage to break down. I actually use a 2x2x2 piece of wood that I wrap with a baggie at the end - secured with duck tape. It works great to SMASH the cabbage down with the slaw.

Then, add the next 1/3 of the salt and cabbage, do the same thing. Then, the last 1/3 salt and cabbage. Now. You are basically done.

Set your garbage bag on you container and fill with water until the bag forms a seal over the container. This will form a nice seal to keep air and contaminants out. Seal the trash bag so it doesn't leak.

Add the container in the aluminum tin. As the kraut starts to ferment ... it will burp, meaning ... it will expell water. That is why it is a tray or tin. Keep in a cool area, garage is best. After 2 weeks, skim the surface about 1/2". Put the water trash bag back on. Another 2 weeks, skim again. Taste to make sure you got any bad slaw on the top off.

Finished. Store in maon jars for 6 months in the fridge or freeze which is what I do.
I make this every Oct down here - otherwise too hot.

The best kraut around. It isn't hard to make, takes about 20 minutes to pound it all down; then, just let it set.
I usually make 10 lbs every oct. I use a 5 gal white bucket from home depot. Just sterilize with bleach and hot water, rinse clean. Gives me lots of bags of kraut, but they last all year.

The quick 3-4 day method in the mason jar is OK; but not what real kraut is.

Some people add caraway and juniper berries to theirs; I don't. I prefer to season it when I add it to a dish; because each dish can be different. And, I love it on dogs, and I am not fond of the caraway and juniper in it when I use it that way.
============
There you go. My kraut version

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Dissie, most folks here don't plant cabbage in the Spring. Here it's pretty much a Fall and into Winter veggie. Next year, you might think of it as and "after the summer bounty" planting. ;) Sounds like you've done a bunch of stuff to Winter you over. I'm envious, as I have no place to plant anything.....all shade :(

ClassyCook

Post by ClassyCook » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm

I just wanted to pipe in for a minute after seeing your post.

I love shredding zucchini to use in spaghetti sauce and then freeze the sauce after adding in the zucchini (this is especially great with big overgrown zucchinis, just seed them and peel off the outer skin). It's a great filler and tastes great.

You can also use fresh tomatoes, peppers and onions along with zucchini to make stewed tomatoes, which you can freeze for winter use. I cut them in large chunks and boil them down. You can add any spices you like. I use basil and oregano along with salt and pepper. They are also great in zucchini bread and chocolate zucchini cake, not to mention muffins.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I picked up my pots and chicken wire for my potato pots ... Can't wait to plant them, late September here. I'm excited.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:42 am

Deepster wrote:Dissie, most folks here don't plant cabbage in the Spring. Here it's pretty much a Fall and into Winter veggie. Next year, you might think of it as and "after the summer bounty" planting. ;) Sounds like you've done a bunch of stuff to Winter you over. I'm envious, as I have no place to plant anything.....all shade :(
Girl, you have no idea! We have so much its just nuts. It makes me tired just thinking about it. I have 3 days off to pick more tomatoes, so tomorrow is going to be stewing and freezing. Mom is talking canning tomatoes, so maybe that too. I am exhausted thinking about it.

Thanks Kim for the recipe for making kraut. I might just try that.

Classy, I guess I am going to shred some then. Didn't do that last time. I just blanched it and froze it. It just mush when I went to use it and didn't care for it. So that sounds like a plan.

Kim your planting sounds fun! Autumn is going to come quick, and soon we will have a frost and it will all be over.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:43 am

Deepster, we cant plant crap in the fall, it frosts pretty quickly here and then nothing will grow. Snow is soon for us.....Actually, we are probably due for a early frost soon. I know its hot as heck right now, but that will change soon. Sooner than we want. :x Like probably in 2 to 3 weeks. Temp dipping at night already.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 am

How crazy is that? Heat at night, cuz it gets down so low in the house, then air conditioning in the afternoon cuz it gets hot as you know what!