'Tis the season...

Moderator: Axe

Axe

'Tis the season...

Post by Axe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm

...for planting!

What are you planting this year for canning in the fall?

We have decided to try our hand at making a few different hot sauces, so we are planting a variety of chilis and peppers along with the regular fare of tomatoes, zuchinni, etc...

Kchurchill5

Re: 'Tis the season...

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:04 pm

I have a limited garden; but summer in FL is not great growing. My tomatoes will done next month, and the peppers soon. All my lettuce is being harvested right now.

Tomatoes, scallions, herbs, peppers, bok choy, 4-5 lettuces; snap peas and a few baby organic carrots.

5 different carrots, and 6 peppers

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Unfortunately, its still too cold to plant. Cripes, it snowed twice today! Didn't stick, but still....just goes to show you our temps are still too cold. I have a few things started...

Went to my moms today and she has radishes, lettuce and peppers that already sprouted. I have basil, tomatoes and peppers that have sprouted. But who knows when we will get to plant them. OH and I also have celery. I cut the end off of a stalk I bought and planted it...waiting for it to sprout. It really works! Did it last summer. Don't throw it out, plant that sucker! ;)

Axe

Post by Axe » Tue May 21, 2013 2:25 pm

The May long weekend has come & gone! The garden is only about half done, but we got 240 tomato plants put in as well as potatoes, corn, onions & broccoli.

Still lot's to go...

Axe

Post by Axe » Tue May 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Oh ya.... we got the herb garden planted too, along with 10 new grape vines to round out the orchard. ;)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed May 22, 2013 8:58 pm

Finally finished up the garden tilling tonight. Will plant all my starter plants tomorrow. It has been rain, rain and then more rain lately! Going to put my onions, sweet corn, radishes, lettuce and beans in too. We need to "plant" the screen apparatus for pole beans to grow up too. Mowed the lawn, need to weed the flower beds and try to figure out what the last owners had planted. Already planted lots of flowers that my mom gave me, perennials that were taking over her flower beds! I have transplanted lots of hostas that she had that were just taking over certain beds... Hope we have a handle on it, but its hard to know what plants were already here....She pointed out several that she said were keepers. Flowering bushes, flowers that are perennials, so I have a good start, just need to add to make it pretty. LOVE flowers and lots of colors! Need to attract those birds and hummers.