Freezing Questions

Moderator: Axe

Roxanne

Freezing Questions

Post by Roxanne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:33 pm

Hello :D
I have sour cream that needs to be used up ASAP and I decided to do a batch of baked goods using it cause I know this sort of stuff freezes well. What I do not know is how do I go about freezing/defrosting these particular items
Cinnamon Rolls
Sour Cream Pound Cake
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake
Pecan Coffee Cake (the topping is a pecan streusel)

I know the basic rule is not to frost cakes before freezing, so I won't be frosting my rolls or chocolate cake. I don't know if the pecan coffee cake would hold up well to freezing cause of the topping. After the freezing process, what is the recommended way to defrost these items before frosting and eating. In the fridge overnight, counter top, microwave? All tips appreciated.

Crocus

Re: Freezing Questions

Post by Crocus » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:47 pm

I think they should all freeze just fine. I'd thaw them all on the counter.

Deely

Post by Deely » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:50 pm

Roxanne, I swear by Glad Press 'n Seal for freezing baked goods. Since it's just Robby and me, I seal everything in individual servings and place in ziplock freezer bags. I defrost still sealed, on the kitchen counter. I even freeze hamburg and hot dog rolls this way, in packages of two.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:24 pm

so that's 2 for thawing on the counter, thanks!

Deely, I've heard of that but I wonder if I'd find it here...hmm. Oh but I do have a sealer. It isn't a vacuum food sealer but one of those general purposes kind. I use it often to re-seal packages of cereal. My dad likes to borrow it to reseal his fish food packages too. Maybe I can use that and press excess air out with my fingers and seal it up before freezing.

Deely

Post by Deely » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Roxanne wrote:so that's 2 for thawing on the counter, thanks!

Deely, I've heard of that but I wonder if I'd find it here...hmm. Oh but I do have a sealer. It isn't a vacuum food sealer but one of those general purposes kind. I use it often to re-seal packages of cereal. My dad likes to borrow it to reseal his fish food packages too. Maybe I can use that and press excess air out with my fingers and seal it up before freezing.
I would set things on a cookie sheet in the freezer for an hour or so. Then you can use your vacuum sealer with out crushing soft breads.

Derf

Post by Derf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Really old fashioned way , use a staw to draw all the air out of a zip lock freezer bag.
it works for me :lol:

Derf

Post by Derf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm

except for meats, i thaw almost everything on the counter, for meats overnight in the fridge.

arham

Post by arham » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:36 am

The risk of keeping a hot relish more than a week is mold. Vinegar will keep the mold from gaining a foothold, but it is going to affect the flavor in a tart way. With pickles that's usually ok as it drains off. But relish does tend to grab the vinegar and hold on to it.
My advice is to find the relish recipe that appears to have the best flavor, then cut the recipe down to a manageable amount, and freeze it in half cup portions in zippy bags.

Last edited by arham on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 pm

[quote="Derf "RIP" Forever in our Kitchen"]Really old fashioned way , use a staw to draw all the air out of a zip lock freezer bag.
it works for me :lol:[/quote]
I wasn't watching the dates, then I saw this, and almost spit on my screen. So wonderful to see a post from Derf. Dang I miss that lady!