Let us know what you have put away this season!

Moderator: Axe

Axe

Re: Let us know what you have put away this season!

Post by Axe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Tomorrow is dedicated to Tomato Juice. A full day, I'm sure as DW picked a boat load of tomatoes yesterday. This year we are doing yellow tomato juice! I'll try and post some pics.

Axe

Post by Axe » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:45 pm

They have some really funky colored peppers, I picked up purple, a really light yellow (almost white) and orange ones.
DO IT!

I have made yellow tomato juice this year. It's super cool to put away something that's out of the ordinary and GREAT to bring out when you are entertaining company!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Wowsers Axe, you have been one busy guy!! :shock: I wish I had the room to do more preserving.

Axe

Post by Axe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:41 pm

132 jars of yellow and red tomato juice so far, and still going....

That stuff that looks like dust on some of the jars is actually minerals from our well water left after the water bath process. Our water is really hard here. :?

Canned tomatoes, juice, canned Turkey Stock, and homemade spaghetti sauce. Still more shelf space = more canning to come! :o

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:58 pm

Good Lord, you're a canning machine :shock: :o

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:34 am

WOW, I would love to be able to can that much, but I just don't have that kind of room in my house.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:53 pm

It is only my wife and myself home now, all 6 of our kids are on their own now, so we do not put up as much food as we used to. We only grow tomatoes , hot peppers and occasional cucumbers.
But we do put up something to prevent FREEZING in the winter....only took us the last 3 weeks!

That pile is 12x12x5, not bad for two old farts and a son.

We did have a little help from our 21 month old grandaughter.

Sorry it is not food!

Axe

Post by Axe » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:26 am

crazyndncook wrote:WOW, I would love to be able to can that much, but I just don't have that kind of room in my house.
You know...it doesn't take that much space. Just a couple of shelves somewhere

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:30 pm

Axe, quit trying to take my excuses away. :D Plus I don't have energy to do a whole lot of canning. After cooking for a whole day it is hard to go home sometimes to do it all over again. I did do up a half batch of Grape Jam last night (3 1/4 half pints). We accidentally bought some seeded grapes at the farmer's market last weekend. Me and the girls were on a "MMM, that looks good" spree. DS was with us but didn't say much and hubby was at a Firearms Course we had all the time we wanted to do what we wanted. :twisted:

A few days ago I harvested some stuff from the garden. I pulled 1 bucket carrots, 1 bucket shelling peas, 1/4 bucket sugar snap peas, they all made it to the freezer that same night.

I do have a whole crawlspace that is more than half empty, (the size of my kitchen, the whole thing is the size of my kitchen and living room) but only about 3 1/2 feet high. I always thought of setting a food storage area in there, but the hassle of getting in and out of there as the door in is on the living room side.

See I have every excuse in the book, and then some.

Axe

Post by Axe » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:00 pm

hehehehe..... I hear ya.

But with food prices skyrocketing, the excuses will be plummeting, methinks.

I have a feeling that in the next year or 2, our preserving experience is going to be very valuable.