Let us know what you have put away this season!

Moderator: Axe

crazyndncook

Re: Let us know what you have put away this season!

Post by crazyndncook » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:50 am

I am doing my best to stop my excuses. I do plan on learning how to use a pressure canner in the next few years. Now with hubby being able to purchase a gun we will have wild meats once again. Meaning I will have to make room in the freezers for it. I have gotten so used of stocking up on veggies and fruits because he hasn't been hunting in years. We do plan on getting most of our meat butchered this time around, before we were too poor to get it done all that often. But it will really help our budget.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:19 pm

I scored free apples from a co-worker, so the last 2 nights were dedicated to canning apple sauce. So far 72 jars, they are only 1/2 cup jars. But the kids will eat them in a few months. I did Plain Applesauce, Apple Pie Sauce(applesauce with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger,cloves, allspice), Apple/Peach, Apple/Blueberry, 18 jars of each kind, well actually 17 of the Apple/Blueberry. One jar had a cracked rim, I been trying to find the jar for almost a month now. I found it when I was canning Pickled Jalapenos last month, cut myself on it, and left it on the counter and the kids put it away, I must have moved it from the kitchen cupboard to the microwave stand cupboard when I was exchanging empty jars for full ones, was beginning to think I threw it out. But I really didn't have enough to fill the 18th jar in the end so it is all good.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:46 pm

I have my third batch of dehydrated apples on the go.

At work today I did up 4 batch of jam, to use in the food program. I made 2 batches Blueberry Jam and 2 batches Apple Pie Jam. I canned them in qt jars so I am a little nervous about them. I have never put jam in anything other than half pints and pints, but my boss couldn't find of those sizes.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:01 pm

I have my last batch of dehydrated apples on the go. This time I finally got around to making a spiced apple slices recipe I have been wanting to make for a couple years now. I will have to try them out later, hope it was worth the apples.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:20 pm

My mother and I put away so much this season! We canned tomatoes, froze tomatoes, made stewed tomatoes and canned and froze those too.

I put up rhubarb for baking. Man, I love rhubarb.

I baked up so much squash and put away in ice cream intervals, so its easy to pull out one cup at a time. We also cooked pumpkin and did the same thing. (frozen)

I also have bags and bags full of frozen bell peppers, onions and jalepeno's and celery.

Gardening is alot of work, but so worth the effort IMO. I buy like 1 bell pepper a week for fresh salads, for cooking I just reach into my stash. Haven't had to buy canned maters. Saves so much money! DH thought I was over doing it this summer, said we will never eat that much. He just doesn't realize how much goes into making things I guess! ;)