Delicata squash ~ HELP pease!

Moderator: Axe

Tisme

Delicata squash ~ HELP pease!

Post by Tisme » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 am

Hi everyone,
I saw a post a while ago about this squash and decided to plant some this year.
They have done really well ~BUT I am not sure when to pick them, some sites say young but some of the recipes I see they are yellow inside.
Mine are white inside. Any ideas on when I should pick them, or what to do with them when I do pick them....Nothing like being organized and asking before the grow! :lol:
Also any Tomato or passionfruit recipes that I could preserve would be welcomed.
I have frozen heaps (soup etc) and making chutney today and tomorrow, but would love any ideas.

Kchurchill5

Re: Delicata squash ~ HELP pease!

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:09 am

First, I know you said tomatoes too ... I freeze mine whole. NO peeling or anything. Once thawed on the counter, the skins come right off. Perfect for sauce.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/balsam ... atoes-9770 this is a favorite; great to add to sandwiches, burgers, on salads, etc. And, easy to make.

Another easy favorite http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/easy-s ... o-jam-9321
Great on burgers, sandwiches, with cream cheese on crackers, etc.
---------------------------------
Passion fruit; I have only made jam or jelly before. Not sure what else. Sorry
Back with squash ...

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:17 am

I don't think your squash is ready to harvest. The skin will turn a light creamy color not white; and, the inside should be creamy colored as well.

Once the leaves die off; the stem will still be green. If it is still green ... the squash is not ready.

A little over 3 months of growing is what it takes. Then, always cure your squash. Basically leave it in the sun; or a warm place inside for 2-3 days after picking before cooking. That goes for any winter squash.

I used to roast mine; or a pan saute, they remind me of pattypan squash. You can eat the seeds too, roasted - like pumpkin. Good in a stir fry too.

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:First, I know you said tomatoes too ... I freeze mine whole. NO peeling or anything. Once thawed on the counter, the skins come right off. Perfect for sauce.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/balsam ... atoes-9770 this is a favorite; great to add to sandwiches, burgers, on salads, etc. And, easy to make.

Another easy favorite http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/easy-s ... o-jam-9321
Great on burgers, sandwiches, with cream cheese on crackers, etc.
Passion fruit; I have only made jam or jelly before. Not sure what else. Sorry
Back with squash ...
Thanks so much KC, I have been making slow roasted tomato's to freeze but must try your recipe (Balsamic and Thyme Slow Roasted Tomatoes) as it is a little different to the way I make mine. I also would love to try you Easy Spicy Tomato Jam recipe and try bottling them (if I get any spare time) ;)
I love the tomato's roasted they are so sweet and have so much flavour.

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:28 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I don't think your squash is ready to harvest. The skin will turn a light creamy color not white; and, the inside should be creamy colored as well.

Once the leaves die off; the stem will still be green. If it is still green ... the squash is not ready.

A little over 3 months of growing is what it takes. Then, always cure your squash. Basically leave it in the sun; or a warm place inside for 2-3 days after picking before cooking. That goes for any winter squash.

I used to roast mine; or a pan saute, they remind me of pattypan squash. You can eat the seeds too, roasted - like pumpkin. Good in a stir fry too.
Thanks so much KC, I will leave them on the bush then.
They are not used much here, but they sound like you treat them the same as pumpkin. :)
It was so hard to find the seeds (I saw Luvcookn) used some in a recipe and they got me intrigued. :)

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I wish I had some advise Tisme I`ve never plated squash :?

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:23 pm

59chevymom wrote:I wish I had some advise Tisme I`ve never plated squash :?
Thanks chevymom, I grow zucchini, but this looks a little different.
We might both learn something. ;) ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:59 am

The squash is a winter squash; but, it has a lighter flavor and texture. You slice and roast it or even saute it. It is very good. You will definitely enjoy it.