Summer is nearly here (Australia)

Moderator: Axe

Tisme

Summer is nearly here (Australia)

Post by Tisme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:44 am

I think I have planted far too many tomato's!
I dehydrate, freeze and bottle them, but would love to hear of some of your recipes.
I also will have plums, beans, cucumber, eggplant, zucchini, capsicum, basil and coriander (too burn). A number of other things..... but swill keep that question til later.....gotta see if the rabbits beat me first! :shock: :? :roll:
I would love to hear how anyone else uses this produce.

Kchurchill5

Re: Summer is nearly here (Australia)

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:35 am

Well for peppers. Other than the obvious. Roast with herbs, garlic and olive; then refrigerate or freeze.
I free my whole. Perfect NOT SO MUCH for cold salsa; but, great for cooking with.

Tomatoes, I roast with garlic, olive oil herbs; and freeze. I use it for sauces or soups. I often add peppers to this too.

I also freeze them whole w/skins on. After they thaw, the skin peels right off. NO boiling first.

I love making tomato pie; but, doesn't freeze well. I have made a tomato quiche; which does freeze really well. You can do crustless which I do.

Of course you did sundried; but, I also dehydrate them even further and make tomato powder. It's good to add a nice flavor to sauces, without actually add whole tomatoes.

How about tomato jam or tomato butter. Or tomato chutney is really good too.

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:56 am

Oh! I'm with you Deb.
Not only I planted too many tomatoes...it seams that the compost I bought had tons of tomato seed on it, because I have tomato plants sprouting in every pot! I have no idea what kind :shock: :shock: Surprise tomatoes.
I was thinking about trying this tomato paste recipe.
http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-to ... chn-206853
If it is good I will post it on Zazz later.
Tomato soup is always good and yummy gazpacho :P :P

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:33 am

I so agree with gazpacho. Delicious, when warm or cold out.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:41 pm

I love my Country Style Tomatoes http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/countr ... atoes-6349. And my Savory Tomato Pie http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/savory ... -pie-20232.
Also with eggplant, my mom used to make veggie "burgers" with ground eggplant, sauted onions and peppers and garlic, bread crumbs, egg to bind, salt and pepper. Then form into patties and fry in olive oil.

Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:16 pm

I grew some hot chili peppers and dried them out, I did plant vegies but there was not enough to can we ate them all :lol:

Jaclyn

Post by Jaclyn » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:17 pm

lovinretirement wrote:I love my Country Style Tomatoes http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/countr ... atoes-6349. And my Savory Tomato Pie http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/savory ... -pie-20232.
Also with eggplant, my mom used to make veggie "burgers" with ground eggplant, sauted onions and peppers and garlic, bread crumbs, egg to bind, salt and pepper. Then form into patties and fry in olive oil.
Your tomato pie sound wonderful!

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:18 am

O.M.G. .... :shock:
what wonderful ideas!
I am saving each and every one of them for summer..... ummm if the rabbits don't beat me, I can try them all! :? ;)
Naaahhh...plenty for all of us!
Kchurchill5, I have never frozen tomatoes with skin on...that's a plus for this year!
I have made a few chutneys over the years...the son HAD a favourite....but couldn't the recipe last year! Tried a different one and he knew! :shock: lol
But taking the dehydrating to a powder is a great idea!
Pia, please let me know how the tomato paste works...I have a very old recipe 60plus years old, but never been game to try it! Pia I have never made gazpacho .... DH hates soup. But with the family on a health kick.... might be a time to try it!
But from today.... ssssshhh don't tell DH I planted more...... SSSSHHHH ... but I have 54 tomatoes planted!
lovinretirement Those Country-Style Tomatoes sound great, especially towards the end of summer, when the weather is not so hot, this will be a great recipe to try, as will the Savory Tomato Pie, I just have to start looking for a savoury pie crust.... not good at pastry I am afraid.
Eggplant is a vegetable I have never tried until last week! I did like it, so any old, new and wonderful recipes would be great....not too mention easy! :lol:
Jaclyn I planted chilli... We hate them here, but DD has a new boyfriend that loves them and coriander..... It killed me to plant them...but I did....AND guess what is growing the best ....yep the coriander and chilli.
Drying is going to be thing to do as you suggested....also they are good to use in a pesticide, keeps bugs of anything .. I think I posted the recipe for that, but it works soooo good!
So are you trying vegies again next year?

Tisme

Post by Tisme » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:20 am

Planted spring onions and chives tonight! :D
Pumpkin tomoz!

So what is in season where you are?

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 pm

I'm in Argentina, same hemisphere.
Do you have a big place Deb?
54 tomatoes!!
For now I've planted and have sprouted: Faba beans, green beans, peas, edamame, green mung beans, several herbs, radish, tomatoes and Rocoto peppers.
Yesterday I planted, squash and pumpkins.
Next should be more peppers, cantaloupe and lettuce.
I have a small yard.... :shock: :shock: It's going to be out of control.