Making Gluten Free Buns

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

QueenBea

Making Gluten Free Buns

Post by QueenBea » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:59 pm

I developed this recipe because I am not a regular bread eater but I do enjoy it on occasion with soup or chili or for a burger bun. As most people following a gluten free diet know, gluten free bread does not keep long so this is a perfect small batch bun recipe. The buns turn out fluffy and airy just like white bread. It will not fall apart when you bite into it, when I say it is just like white bread, I mean it. You can add flax seeds or poppy seeds to this recipe for a bit of crunch or a combination of both; 1 tablespoon of seeds is all you need. This recipe makes two buns, use them as a hamburger bun, or a kaiser bun for sandwiches or as a dinner roll. If you prefer a "whole wheat" type bread just add a tablespoon of ground flaxseed to this recipe.

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup milk (at room temperature)
3 tablespoons warm water
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup rice flour (white)
2 tablespoon millet flour
2 tablespoons quinoa flour
2 tablespoons potato starch
2 tablespoons tapioca flour
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

Fit a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
Place the milk, water, melted butter, sugar, salt, egg and yeast in the bowl of the stand mixer and mix on low speed for a few seconds until well blended.

Add remaining ingredients and mix for 5 minutes on low speed (2 on my stand mixer), scraping down the sides after about 2 minutes. (This should have the consistency of a thick muffin batter.)

Coat 2 mini cake pans or 6” pie pans with butter, spoon in the batter into the pans using a sturdy spatula and place in a warm draft free place and allow rising for 1 hour.

Place the bread in a preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven on the middle rack and bake for 40 minutes, until buns are a nice golden brown.

Allow to cool and remove from pan.

Sliced to show inside of bun

Shadows1

Re: Making Gluten Free Buns

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:44 pm

Great series Bea! I will have to give these a try!

QueenBea

Re: Making Gluten Free Buns

Post by QueenBea » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:57 pm

Thx Lee :P