Pounded chicken breasts

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

dianegrapegrower

Pounded chicken breasts

Post by dianegrapegrower » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:10 pm

A lot of recipes call for pounding chicken breasts - Chicken Cordon Bleu is an example. Can someone show me how? I don't get them thin enough, or they shred to pieces.

D

Kchurchill5

Re: Pounded chicken breasts

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:18 am

I don't have a tutorial, but this is my method. And yes, sometimes it is difficult to get them thin without tearing.

I like to use plastic wrap or a plastic bag. I find the ziploc bag a bit easier actually. I also but a few drops of water on the chicken; I find it helps. Some people use a couple of drops of oil, this also works.

I use a meat mallet, flat side of course. You can also use a rolling pin or the bottom of a pot.
Start in the center, and pound gently. Pounding it hard is not the way to go about it.

Sometimes the chicken breasts are SO BIG, I actually cut them in half first so they aren't that thick to start with. I find that it is easier to do this when they are frozen.

That's about all the tricks I do. A little patience and gentle pounding is key.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:40 am

Hi dianegrapegrower!
I used to have that problem also until someone told me to use an ultra sharp knife something like the ones you use for fish filleting and just slice the breast instead of pounding, and one tip is never use seasoned breasts which are usually sold in larger boxes, they are soaked in brine those are the ones that are virtually impossible to pound, they are like mush and fall apart..

hope this helps you out ;)
If you can eat, you can make it!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:15 am

True Kitten, seasoned ones are NOT good. I prefer fresh for pounding.
also, if using frozen ones; thaw in the fridge, and then pound when still cold. If warm; they tend to fall apart more. Fresh tends to pound a bit better than frozen. But, both do work.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:44 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:True Kitten, seasoned ones are NOT good. I prefer fresh for pounding.
also, if using frozen ones; thaw in the fridge, and then pound when still cold. If warm; they tend to fall apart more. Fresh tends to pound a bit better than frozen. But, both do work.

Kimmy I remember there was a discussion about this in the KK's forum, someone mentioned to me not to use seasoned, since then I never again purchased the seasoned for pounding, I also invested in a fileting knife that is ULTRA sharp and that works great for slicing the breasts instead of pounding
If you can eat, you can make it!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:47 am

Yes I agree fresh is best. If the breast is very thick I do like Kittencal does, slice it in half with a VERY good knife. If it is a thinner breast, I slice it to about an inch from the edge to butterfly it, after it is opened up into a "butterfly" I place it in a freezer bag and pound it starting in the middle then towards the edges, with a rubber mallet I picked up at Walmart in the tool department yeas ago.

The next time I do this I will do a tutorial here if you would like :)
Last edited by QueenBea on Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:03 am

I agree that the pre-marinated chicken is problematic. To me, it often seems to have a spongy texture that's really unattractive. I stopped making chicken "dump" recipes because of that, too. Slicing the chicken horizontally works great when you want a thinner cutlet for sauteeing (think, Chicken Piccata). I struggle with pounding chicken out, and rolling it up. But will try your suggestions next time, and see if I get better results. Thanks!
Diane

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:50 pm

Try using a rolling pin ( we do )! Softly "pound" the breast with the pin as you roll it outwards from the center, you do not need to beat the thing to death it is already dead. Continue this "pounding" until the breast is the thickness you desire!
Works for us every time!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 am

I butterfly the breast, place between wax paper and pound with my smallest sauce pan. It is heavy enough to make it thin, but not too heavy to tear the meat. Works for me.