Soft Kaiser Sandwich Rolls - Mixer Method

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Sue

Soft Kaiser Sandwich Rolls - Mixer Method

Post by Sue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:43 am

Soft Kaiser Sandwich Rolls - Mixer Method - NEW LINK!!!!!!
http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/soft-k ... ethod-8636

This first photo shows how the dough should look like in the mixer bowl after kneading: soft, supple, not overly wet and not crumbly, it should just be tacky to the touch.

In this next photo, sometimes my kitchen is cool or drafty and not conducive to the dough rising a lot or at least not very quickly. To remedy this I place an electric heating pad under the mixer bowl and prop the sides up against the bowl. You probably won't worry about this in warm weather.

I leave the dough hook right in the mixer and cover the top with plastic wrap- leaving the hook in helps keep the plastic stable. The plastic in itself makes a little bit of a greenhouse for the dough to trap warm air and carbon dioxide from the "exhausts" of the yeast consuming the sugars- it helps the dough rise by forming bubbles of carbon dioxide in the dough.

The dough needs to rise until doubled, and an approximate time is given for this, but the time is not important. What is important is that the dough doubles in size. If it has not done so in the time given, you must wait longer. Different environmental conditions can effect the rise, such as temperature and humidity, which we so far have tried to help along. Other factors include the type and or brand of flour you use. Every flour is different, containing proprietary blends of ground wheat, which affect the amount of protein, which affects the amount of water that can be absorbed to even how much sugar is contained naturally in the flours (higher protein bread flours contain less) and the amount of natural sugars will affect how much the little yeasties eat and eject that dough raising carbon dioxide. Kind of geeky, but that's what it is. We just want the dough to rise.

In this next photo yu can see that the dough has risen, was divided into 8 pieces, and gently stretched so the ugly marks get pinched together and tucked underneath the dough, placed on parchment, sprayed lightly with nonstick spray so the plastic doesn't stick, and then covered with plastic. Here the dough will rise again to double in size, and you might notice that the heating pad has been placed underneath the parchment lined baking sheet.
It is perhaps not as important in the kaiser roll recipe to do the stretching, tucking and pinching of ugly dough, but it is a good habit. If you were not to make the kaiser rolls, you could let them rise until doubled at this point and make some very lovely dinner rolls. If you wished just plain round burger buns, before you cover them with plastic, flatten them in the palm of your hand, then cover as shown and let the flattened dough do a final rise before baking.

In this next photo the dough has risen again, and at this point each dough ball is to be roll out into a rope about 10 inches long.

Take the dough rope and tie it into a simple knot and hold onto the two end pieces.

Tuck one of the rope ends behind the roll, and the other goes across the top and through the middle, where you pinch them together to keep unraveling until the rise process cements the shape.

This forms the knotted roll or kaiser roll.
Normal kaiser rolls are shaped this way as knots or not knotted just as hard rolls, using a slightly different recipe using all bread flour (and when baking a pan of water in the bottom of the oven ensures a crisp hard crust). This recipe is a modified kaiser roll recipe that yields a softer roll suitable for sandwiches.
Preparing normal kaiser rolls for sandwiches isn't the greatest idea, because of the hardness (I like soft burger buns) and also they can be very tall and round. To keep our sandwich rolls from being too tall, we give them a simple press between the palms of the hands to flatten them. Unfortunately, doing so sometimes messes up the perfectly formed knot, but it is what it is and in the end they don't look too bad. You can use a kaiser roll press to mark them as you flatten them but it's really not a big deal and not necessary for nice looking sandwich rolls.
Here I am are gently pressing the knot between the palms of the hands to flatten it.

Once we have them all knotted and flattened and back on the parchment, it is time to brush them with a soft brush and beaten egg white, like so:

This allows me to sprinkle on any toppings I like, which this time I am using some poppy seeds on some and some sesame seeds on the others. The egg whites will make the seeds stick once they are baked.
Here are the poppy seeds starting to go on.

Sesame seeds going on. You can see the finished poppy seed ones on the pan. I sprinkle them until they look covered and don't really measure. I don't worry about the seeds that fall off.

Here they are on the pan, on top of my trusty heating pad, ready to be covered with that same plastic wrap which I have saved.
From here, it probably takes from 30-60 minutes to rise up as big as sandwich rolls. You don't want to hurry and have your rolls be too small.
When they are rising but not quite there, heat your oven to 400F.

Here they are and they are ready to rock. See how nice and big they have risen?

They want out of that plastic! :lol:
Ready to pop into the oven. Don't butter them or anything- you'll knock the seeds off and besides, that egg white will give them a little gloss.

After 10-12 minutes in there, give them a peek but don't stress about how many minutes have passed. Just bake them until they are golden and beautiful.
Like this:
You can let them cool on the pan, they will be fine. Now where's that burger? ;)

See how easy it is to make your own preservative free sandwich rolls? They are very nice and soft and have more flavor than what you can buy in a bag at the market.
But since they are preservative free, once they are cooled, whatever rolls you don't use right away should be packed in an airtight baggie and used within the day, or you can refrigerate or freeze to have them last longer.
Do not freeze for more than about three months.

I hope your breadmaking experience has been as pleasant as mine, and I feel honored and privileged to be able to share my experience with you. Thanks for dropping in and giving this a read.
~Sue
Last edited by Sue on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dissie

Re: Soft Kaiser Sandwich Rolls - Mixer Method

Post by Dissie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 am

OMG Sue, what a fabulous job you have done with this tutorial! Really is step by step and such plain, straight forward instructions. I feel like I could even do this! ;)

Thanks for posting this!

Derf

Post by Derf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 am

Well done Sue, great tutorial :!:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 am

Beautifully done, and a fantastic tutorial. And those rolls look delicious!

elsie

Post by elsie » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:12 am

Fantastic rolls, Sue! Nice job on the tutorial. :-BD That was a lot of work to put together to post.

I appreciate all the step by step recipes that a lot of the cooks on Zazz do. It takes a lot of time and thought to explain how things are made.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:44 pm

Elsie wrote:Fantastic rolls, Sue! Nice job on the tutorial. :-BD That was a lot of work to put together to post.

I appreciate all the step by step recipes that a lot of the cooks on Zazz do. It takes a lot of time and thought to explain how things are made.
It is a lot of work and lots of photos to juggle. I just had seen I missed one of the photos (dough balls covered with plastic) but it's in there now.
I did the tutorial last after loading recipes, uploading photos uploading photos again at photobucket, and by that time it was getting a bit late. Did I mention that halfway during the recipe writing of the rolls I hadn't noticed the cat managed to knock the plug of the laptop out and I was so busy I didn't notice the battery was draining and... I think Bergy may have heard me screaming French all the way to BC. Thank goodness that when I logged back in that the form still had what I typed there. Not sure if that was Wayne or the browser I am using, but I was SO happy.
The recipe gods smiled on me last night. 8-)

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm

Dissie wrote:OMG Sue, what a fabulous job you have done with this tutorial! Really is step by step and such plain, straight forward instructions. I feel like I could even do this! ;)

Thanks for posting this!
And you CAN do this. Just let the bread machine go through the knead cycle and pick up where the dough comes out of the mixer bowl.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:13 am

Sue great tutorial - Very well done. I never knew that Kaisers were actually braided!!! :shock: :idea: :idea: Your photos and instructions are so clear.

elsie

Post by elsie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:54 am

When I click on Sue's recipe, it takes me to the home page. This has been going on for about a week for me....not just a couple of days. :|

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Elsie wrote:When I click on Sue's recipe, it takes me to the home page. This has been going on for about a week for me....not just a couple of days. :|
Elsie see explanationin in the Help & Suggestions bu Admin - Recipes, reviews and some photos were lost when major work was done on the site.