Danish Cucumber Pickles

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Bergy

Danish Cucumber Pickles

Post by Bergy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:19 am

Danish Cucumber Pickles (Aesier) Recipe#683
By: Bergy

This is a pickle that I can remember right back to my childhood! They are wonderful crisp white sweet pickles that have a bit of pep to them. They are so easy to make. They go well with almost anything. You will always see these pickles on Danish open face liver pate sandwiches. By cutting them in spears they pack well in the jars but the more traditional way is to cut the across in 1/2" pieces. I say 7 cucumbers but if they are really large you may only need 5. I have never water bathed these pickles and have served them years later - they are still crisp and wonderful - just make sure that the lid has sealed

Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 30
Servings 8 pints

Ingredients:

7 large fat cucumbers (cucumbers must be large but not soft or yellow)

6 cups sugar

6 1/2 cups Pickling vinegar

3/4 cup water

8 hot peppers

8 teaspoons Mustard seeds

8 small bay leaves

4 teaspoons dill seeds

8 teaspoons white peppercorns

HOW TO MAKE THE PICKLES:

Choose your cucumbers carefully - They must be large and quite fat but not at all yellow

STERILIZE 8 PINT JARS

Peel the cucumbers,

Cut the cucumber in half longways and scoop out the seeds

Cut the cucumbers into 1/2" spears that are apprx. 3/4" shorter than your pint jar, thus allowing some head room in the jars. Or cut them across in half inch pieces in the traditional way

I like to measure out the spices into 8 little dishes so you can just pour them into the serilized jar before you pack in the cucumbers
Place the evenly divided peppers, mustard seeds, bay leaves, dill seeds and peppercorns in the bottom of each sterilized pint.

Make the syrup by putting the sugar, vinegar and water in a large pot, stiring until the sugar has dissolved, bring to a boil. When you fill the jars the syrup must be at a full boil. Pack the jars tightly with the spears/sliced cucumber pieces. Fill the jars with the boiling vinegar syrup. Make sure the jars edges are clean with no syrup on them. Place a slightly heated lid on, screw on the ring

Check that the lids have popped when they cool

There you have it - It is that simple
Leave for at least two weeks and then enjoy

Kchurchill5

Re: Danish Cucumber Pickles

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

I made these last Christmas. You sent me the recipe. They turned out wonderful. I made 7 or 8 jars. My jars didn't last more than 3-4 weeks once opened. But they were perfect.

I did boil my jars and rings, but didn't water bath them either. I did keep mine refrigerated but I knew I wanted them chilled and knew they wouldn't last long.

It is very high on the vinegar sugar vs water so they may do well without a water bath. I didn't, but I ate mine up in a hurry.

Great pictures!!

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:11 am

Thanks KC - I have never water bathed them either and keep them in my lovely cool room under my front stairs. It stays at a cool temp year round. Thanks for your comments KC

KC's further comments
I didn't keep them out only because, FL, it is rarely cool. And my inside temp is always 80+ for me. So I thought it was best to refrigerate. Absolutely otherwise.
And delish!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Awesome tutorial Bergy!! Those do sound delicious.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:42 am

Great step by step directions and photos!
Will have to try these.

DeeCooker41

Post by DeeCooker41 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:20 am

I LOVE THIS! thank you to Bergy!

Derf

Post by Derf » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 pm

mmm YUM :!: I know these pickles and they are sooo delicious :!:

NuMairoo

Post by NuMairoo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:29 am

I know these pickles and they are sooo delicious

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:32 am

Thanks NuMairoo They are a must in this house from as long as Ican remember.