2015 Slimdown

Kchurchill5

Re: 2015 Slimdown

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:38 pm

I don't believe in diets, gf, low carb, aitkens based etc; unless there are medical reasons. I think the healthiest way to loose ... is exercise (as much as one can); and, moderation in eating (portion control). Don't deny yourself of anything; but, don't go overboard either.

I know my gf went without eating sugar for 6 months. Nearly impossible, because so many things have sugar in them. She basically bought everything fresh; and used all organic fresh ingredients. Her family went nuts. It cost a fortune; and, she lost weight, but NOT worth it.

Now, the soda idea; that works for me. Pick something simple to cut back on. A few years ago, I cut back on bread or roll. Didn't eliminate them; but, cut back. Open face sandwiches; no rolls at dinner ... or
If I had a roll, 2 veggies. I lost 10 lbs easily.

I also think, that having 2 vegetables; or a veggie + fruit helps. If you want a carb, mix it with a protein or add more veggies to it. Eat 1/2 of a potato instead of a whole one. Use some of the starch water you cooked your pasta in to make it creamy vs adding heavy cream.

Yes, portion control is a must, everywhere we go these days, it is SUPER SIZE, not exactly healthy.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Yeah, that diet pop you really have to watch it. Sodium is really high and some of the sweeteners are really bad. I will only drink one if I am about to cave and eat something sweet.

Today I am making shrimp gumbo for dinner. I will go light on the rice. I had a Thai carrot salad for lunch with water. Breakfast was s-b eggs and coffee.
I do like fruit infused waters. I drink a lot of black tea (iced) with lemon so don't add too much more on the lemon. Herbs in the water are great, such as mint or lemon balm. Sometimes I crave lemonade and will make that with Splenda. Splenda is tricky though because of the law, they round down on the carb amount and make it appear that it contains less than it actually does. Some people hate Splenda but I do still use it as a point of necessity. I don't think it is good for kids.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Love the idea of cucumbers! Dug out my recipe for Cucumber Dill Salad and next time I go to town will pick up the ingredients. I don't usually eat cukes in the winter but now...seems like a gooda idea. :lol:

Breakfast is easy...usually a fruit smoothie with coconut milk, protein powder, banana and frozen berries...or a bowl of rice chex with coconut milk. I only drink water (lots) and 2-3 cups of green tea every day.

Made a kettle full of chicken soup with an aromatic broth (from onions (skin on), fresh ginger, fresh parsley, cinnamon sticks, star anise, bay leaves and peppercorns). Everything is strained off...chicken taken off the bones and finished off with lemon juice and lemon pepper. Served over noodles...which I will not be eating.

Will be making the cabbage soup over the weekend. It is chock full of fresh veggies.

We have a late breakfast...no lunch...but will have a cup of soup and some cucumber salad.

And then the pick of soups for dinner with some chicken.

Looking forward to much cleaner eating...as I tend to go for the comfort food during the really cold winter.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Great thread!

Well I`m not sure if you all know but I just lost 100 pounds (and have kept it off), I drank no more water than I usually do which was very little :lol: so I`m not sure if drinking more water is really the key but I do know that changing what you eat is, I did not loose it with any special diet, but I did cut out ALL animal, changed to a vegan diet, no dairy, no sugar, no salt and NO processed foods, and no artificial sweetners except one packet of natural stevia with my black tea in the morning...my weight came off quite quick..oh yes I walked for 1 hour a day and now run everyday :D

good luck on your weight loss guys, it`s not an easy road..
If you can eat, you can make it!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Carol, that is so impressive. I know I could never do what you did; however, I admire what you did. 100 lbs is a great accomplishment. And, glad you are so healthy.

I don't think water helps in weight loss; but, it is important to keep you body hydrated; also, water will tend to fill you up. So, if you are not on a special diet or restricted foods; is does tend to fill you up a bit; therefore making you feel fuller.

I know if I drink water with dinner vs my glass of wine; I feel fuller; and often eat less. Plus living in FL with the heat; it is very important to keep very hydrated at all times. Not just in warm climates either.

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am

Water doesn't actually cause calories to burn or fat to be lost but it does help in 2 very important ways: it helps flush toxins that might be released during a fat burn, and did you know that most hunger pangs are shown to actually be from dehydration? So while it may not help you lose weight, if you don't drink adequately, you will feel more hungry, have to fight harder to reduce calories and have more willpower, just generally suffering when that could be eased. People who drink more water are generally more successful at losing, not because it fills you up so much (it works out of the gut pretty fast as beer drinkers know well) but because it gets the brain to back off.
I do think hot liquids, such as tea, coffee, or hot broth work at helping when mealtime is not yet happening, but this I think is because if you get stomach pangs, the heat helps relax those muscles and help you wait until mealtime without noticing it more. But that is my opinion.
The water thing I read in some medical article somewhere years ago. It may have been something George Stella came across and posted on his website. I don't recall.

But anyhoo.
Good morning and this a.m. I am remembering to try to work on my mindfulness meditation, to help keep me relaxed and a part of the bigger picture, It helps to control the breath, and to disperse thought. I use a mantra for that which can be any sort of saying ro the like. The one I like to use is a countdown of numbers or the alphabet in reverse, with a breath between each as I say it aloud. It really does help slow down the breathing and relax me really fast. With saying type of mantras, I would always end of focusing on the mantra too much and become distracted.
It is not related to weight loss, but just a part of a person's general well being as a whole which I think we need to tend to, since our morale is going to be tested from cutting out our favorite foods. Anything to pamper ourselves is going to help us. Getting our hair and nails done, long bubble baths, shopping...especially if we can drop to a new size. I mean, then it won't be frivolous spending, right? =))
Exercise for me today is in the house, and I have no equipment to speak of. Very cold out, so I will be doing stair climbing, yoga and stretching. The weekend will be warmer and I hope to get outdoors. I can't do any running because of my ankle (cannot impact it that hard) but Saturday will be sunny and we hope to get out and do the trails in Whitewater Forest. I'll try to remember to take the camera. Most times going out I forget though. Occasionally I spot some deer.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:30 am

I signed up for yoga yesterday. Took it last year; and enjoyed it. It's starts in Feb. Just 1x a week, but, I will enjoy it.
And, I get a massage 2x/month. I really do it for my rheumatoid; but, I also do it to relax too.Very enjoyable.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:37 pm

For my exercise this winter...have been going up and down the stairs for 20 minutes a day. I usually go out walking (5km)...but have been fighting fear this winter. Last January our chocolate lab was taken by a cougar on our property and that was very frightening for me. I am working on that. I went for a walk in October with 5 other people and found I was constantly scanning the trees and ground (for prints)...but I did it and enjoyed it.

My favvy thing to feel good is to quieten our home...put some quiet music on and spin some fleece into yarn. Simple...yes! But oh so satisfying and rejuvenating.

For this birthday dinner on Sat...I am making an herb/lemon stuffed whole sockeye salmon on a bed of roasted red potatoes and fennel.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:26 pm

I do 12oz curls!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:33 pm

My friend does 20 oz of tomato sauce. Seriously, that is what she uses, lol.

Hey any exercise is exercise. Little or a lot. Don't forget, if you don't go out much in sunlight; a simple Vitamin D supplement is a good thing.

And, Luvin, I love that salmon dish over potatoes, I would love that.