What do you buy organic?

WolfgirlNV

What do you buy organic?

Post by WolfgirlNV » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:16 am

Hello all! I was wondering what organic foods everyone buys. I would love to one day be able to afford to have an all-organic diet, but for the time being I mostly buy berries, lettuce, soymilk, and anything I can get really cheap at Costco.

KittenCal

Re: What do you buy organic?

Post by KittenCal » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 am

Hi Wolfgirl!

I buy everything that I can buy organic, fruit, veggies, soy milk, soy yogurt. So they say, organic plant-based foods offer some significant nutritional advantages, and also reduced risks associated with exposures to cadmium and pesticides in food but there has been a ton of controversy on that, however I feel better mentally consuming organic..as far as animal goes I have pretty much stopped eating animal a few years back and try to stick to a plant-based diet due to many reasons, although I do cook animal for my son, organic here where I live is pretty expensive I wish it would come down in price..
If you can eat, you can make it!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 am

I can't say I buy organic. I just can't afford it; down here in FL, it is about double the price.
However, I grow my own lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cabbage for part of the year. And, I know what I use - so no pesticides or chemicals.

Also, I do buy from the farmers market; and the organic farm is no more $$ than the non organic; so, I do get from them often.

I also get farm fresh eggs from the Amish market

So, I guess I buy fresh; rather they are organic or not; I'm not sure. I would to be organic if I could afford it.

I did try it a few years ago; I didn't feel any different other than depressed ... because my wallet was empty. It was just too expensive for me.

Hopefully one day, organic will not be so costly. In the mean time. I try to eat fresh veggies, fruit, fish, etc; and, hope that works as well.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:31 pm

I buy organic produce if it is available.
I will not buy milk or eggs that are not organic. I also like my other dairy to be organic, like sour cream, half and half, yogurt. I'd like all the cheese to be organic but the types that are available are limited.
The eggs, besides being organic, are pastured, free-range. I can see the hens and where they are when I buy the eggs.
I'd like all my meat to be pastured as well, but that is also limited. But there are herd shares from different farms around here.
So I guess I am saying if I have a choice, I will. I also try to buy local if that is offered too. I don't see that it really sets me back more than about $20/week, so it is worth it. I can make budget cuts elsewhere and do.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Organic meats here are a good double $$ same with cheese and some dairy.
I do get the farm eggs, which are just a few cents; but, dairy is very limited and $$ again.

My one farm has homemade cheese which I love; but, only limited types so; unless I drive almost 60 miles; I'm stuck with local.
I do buy local when I can. But; I also work some 30+ hrs; sometimes more; so ... I have to go with convenience too.

jordash

Post by jordash » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:00 pm

I will but only if I see it's something on sale, otherwise it's to dam expensive, sheesh how do they expect people to eat healthy if it's not sold at a decent price :o it should be the same price as regular grown foods, JMHO :)

elsie

Post by elsie » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:19 pm

It is a shame that we even have to think about buying organic. Everything was considered “organic” when I was growing up.

Organic is so blessed high, but I do buy some items that are organic when they are on sale such as; long grain rice, chicken and butter, and few other things that I can’t think of right now. We raise our own beef so I know at least the beef I eat is good for sure. :-BD

WolfgirlNV

Post by WolfgirlNV » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I think as organic becomes more mainstream, and more research comes out about the benefits, the prices will drop eventually. Even in my time I've seen organic going from only being available at specialty stores to almost all reasonably sized supermarkets carrying a decent selection. I do think GMOs have a place in developing nations - after all, it's better that food be available than not, even if it's genetically modified.

Funny thing about state laws - you can purchase raw milk across the state line and bring it over, but it's illegal to resell it. I love raw milk - I never realized how cooked supermarket milk tasted until I tried raw. Plus it lets me support local farms!

Jaquie55

Post by Jaquie55 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:06 pm

prices are too high, that makes it hard for me to purchase organic which is sad because I want to heat healthy, I'm also mad, I hope at some point in the future the prices will come down so everyone will be given the opportunity to purchase organic

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:25 am

I buy organic if it looks better than the other. Price really plays a part in my choices. I can lots of my fresh garden veggies, so I don't really buy that much anyway except for the staples such as celery, onions, etc...

It is very expensive, so it makes it hard for many people to purchase them.