Low Sodium Recipes

lovinretirement

Low Sodium Recipes

Post by lovinretirement » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 pm

Have to go on a very low sodium restricted diet. My husband's kidney function numbers were slightly elevated above what is healthy, so we have to cut way back on the sodium content and drink lots of water. My sister is on kidney dialysis and after seeing what it's done to her, we don't want to go down that road. Does anyone have any recipes that qualify and are tested and tried to be tasty? I've tried using herbs and salt-free meat marinades, and they're OK for meat. But soups and vegies leave a lot to be desired. :(

KittenCal

Re: Low Sodium Recipes

Post by KittenCal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:08 pm

Patti it's a very long hard road to go salt-free, I went that road almost one year ago, I am slowly introducing salt back into my diet but only 1/4 teaspoon a day, some days I go a little more :oops: I was a sugar and salt-aholic, I craved salt and sugar so badly I was climbing the walls for months, there is NO subs for either, I also tried those yucky tasting salt subs, many are just so bad for your body that your better off not even using them, not to mention they taste terrible!! Unless your doctor advises you to give up salt completely, 1/4 teaspoon will not hurt you.

I just omitted the salt completely for recipes and used a ton of fresh garlic, garlic powder, onion powder and a ton of pepper, your taste buds will get used to no-salt or very little but it is not something that happens overnight, it's amazing how our bodies are so addicted to salt and sugar, when we try to give them up we go into sort of a shock lol!

I really do not have any reduced-sodium recipes, like I said I just gave it up and also sugar plus a few other things and now I am 100 pounds less..

good luck with your venture!
If you can eat, you can make it!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:15 pm

This is an excellent site for health and tips...

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide ... oking-tips
If you can eat, you can make it!

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm

I echo everything Kitten has said. Though I have never been placed on any kind of salt restrictions, several years ago I decided I was going to go "minimalist" when it came to sodium....I just don't think it's good for us. It was not easy. I can say this, after you've been doing it for awhile, you'll become so sensitive to sodium that you'll find it difficult to eat many of the foods that you eat today, at least prepared the way you've become accustomed to eating/preparing them. Regular canned products, fast foods, and any kind of pre-prepared food will become totally unacceptable. I'm glad I made the move, and before you know it, you won't really miss all the sodium at all :D :D Just wanted to give you a word of encouragement ;)

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will take some time to get used to. But after having seen the inside of a dialysis clinic with dozens of beds and patients in each bed for 4 hours, 3 days a week, 3 shifts a day, I definitely want healthy kidneys. And here in the States, the Obamacare Affordable Care Act that's not supposed to disallow insurance coverage for anyone with a pre-existing condition, unfortunately does not include patients with end stage renal disease. Each state gets to decide whether or not they will require the insurance carriers to offer them coverage. And Ohio is NOT one of them. So now my sister has to move out of state just to be able to get insurance. Just a note of warning, people, drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Patti....I'm Patti too! :D

I have been on a self imposed very low sodium diet for 8 years now. It was a wee bit difficult at first, but with a little bit of playing around with herbs and spices...everything got better really fast. Herbs/spices depart tons of flavour with little or no salt.

I use no salt butter and margarine (along with coconut oil, EVOO and Grapeseed oil). I only buy no salt added products...put in an herb garden for fresh in the summer...use dried in the winter. And when looking for recipes...I find ones that are 350mg of sodium or less. And if I find a recipe that I like that is higher in sodium...I look to see where I can cut it and add something else for added flavour. If not...I do not make it.

We eat lots of salads and homemade dressings. If I make sauces etc...I either add a wee bit of salt or leave it out and others can add what they want.

Now when I eat out or at friends homes...I can really taste the salt. And when that happens...I drink lots of water for a few days to flush my system.

I agree with the others...it gets easier each day! And I can tell you that your body with thank you for this small change. Your blood pressure is back in a normal range...and you feel better all over.

YOU CAN DO IT! :D

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 am

Thanks everybody. I'm sure we'll adjust. Yesterday I made baked cod, coated with a mixture of light mayo substitute, a little grated parm, Mrs Dash herb and garlic, pepper and lemon juice; then dipped in bread crumbs. And some roasted cherry tomatoes, tossed in a tablespoon each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a sliced garlic clove and some black pepper. They were very good. Thanks again.
Sheila