RE: low carb recipes

Nana Lee

RE: low carb recipes

Post by Nana Lee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm

I looked at a recipe for skinny beef enchiladas and in the nutrition area it said 1 serving. However, it then listed 45.5 gm carbs and a minimal amt of fiber.
To me this is not LC.
I'd like to find recipes with a carb count of 10 or less. Is there an area for these?

Dissie

Re: RE: low carb recipes

Post by Dissie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Since people put the information in for their own recipes. Sometimes it isn't always correct. I get what you mean about low carb, low carb to me is definitely 10 and under. See on the side of this screen where it says diet? In purple, click it and you can pick low carb to find low carb recipes. Now mind you, its what the author has deemed low carb, so you may have to search a bit to find what you want. ;)

Nana Lee

Post by Nana Lee » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Thank you, Dissie! @};-

:idea: ETA - I did click on low carb but that is where I found the 454.5 gm carb per serving recipe. I think what happens is they are not putting in the correct servings and the nutrition info is for the WHOLE recipe.
Last edited by Nana Lee on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:30 pm

I think because people deem fruit and all veggies as low calorie, and therefore low carb but they fail to understand, its not all low carb. Things with tomatoes and carrots and fruit usually aren't low carb. Some strawberry things can be. Or small amounts of fruit can be but usually aren't. Sugar which means carbs. So fruit is usually out. I have a great broccoli cauliflower salad thats low carb and just wonderful. Well I think so! http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/brocco ... -salad-775 It's lower carb then listed when I use splenda.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:12 am

When I look for low carb recipes, I know what kind of foods I am looking for. I also know what kind of things I can substitute for other ingredients.
You may be able to use low carb bread or tortillas, or sugar substitutes, or cut back on higher carb veggies such as onions, parsnips or carrots in favor of other vegetables.
If you need any help with suggestions in converting a recipe to be more low carb, I'd be more than happy to help as I think everyone here would.
But even recipes I have prepared low carb I don't usually put as low carb or use the low carb ingredients I would myself if it isn't an issue, because I want my recipes to be as accessible to as many people as I can.
I have made many recipes that have a higher carb count but substituted different ingredients to get the carb count down.
But in general, here, other sites, cookbooks, whatnot, they aren't all low carb exactly. At least not what I think of. But that's just it- everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means. And going by the numbers doesn't always work either- a recipe for a sugar cube would come up low carb if it was cut into small enough pieces. kwim? =))
Going low-carb can be rough. Finding things to eat, that is.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 am

The other things I have noticed is serving size. That is something that really differs from person to person as well. I made a soup recipe (not from here, but another site that said 4 servings); I knew it wasn't 4 servings but the amount of ingredients. I ended up getting 2 1/2 nice size bowls is all.

So, like many sites; the idea of serving size; and, as already mentioned. One persons idea of LOW carbs differs from each person.

Nana Lee

Post by Nana Lee » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:06 am

What I meant about serving size is that either the program is not clear on how to determine the size of a serving or people are not putting in the number of servings to get the nutritional facts for one serving.
I'm going to post a couple of recipes I know are LC and see how this site handles them.
Sue, thanks for the tip about posting a recipe as a regular one with maybe a note on how to make it LC. Wonder how I would label it?

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:24 am

Nana Lee wrote:What I meant about serving size is that either the program is not clear on how to determine the size of a serving or people are not putting in the number of servings to get the nutritional facts for one serving.
I'm going to post a couple of recipes I know are LC and see how this site handles them.
Sue, thanks for the tip about posting a recipe as a regular one with maybe a note on how to make it LC. Wonder how I would label it?
Sometimes when I make crock pot recipes I add in parentheses after the title (crock pot or not!)
Maybe something like (low carb or not!)?

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I am WAY late to this party, but...

Diabetic recipe sites (Dlife.com, Diabetic Lifestyle, etc.), follow this basic rule for carb listings: Carb Safe = 30g, Low Carb = 15g, Very Low Carb = 3g. I've even seen them go as high as 20g for low carb. You also have to take into consideration that if the fiber count is higher than 6g, it can be subtracted from the total carb count even though the higher number will show on the recipe. And if the protein is more than twice the carbs, then you can subtract the amount of protein from the total carb count.

At least, that's what my mother's doctor says.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:26 pm

I am sure that way of counting carbs is healthy for a diabetic. Well probably healthy for all of us. But when someone is low carbing, they subtract the fiber from the carbs, no matter what the number is or how high or low. Sugars count as carbs too. They don't do anything with the protein.