Exercise and Motivation

Roxanne

Exercise and Motivation

Post by Roxanne » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:35 pm

Hello :D
I hope I am asking this in the right place.
I like to lift dumb bells to tone my arms but I haven't done it in weeks so I am seeing the tone going away. That said, I have been saying for over a week that I need to start lifting again (even my BF asked me today, how many times have I said that for the week) I always get into these cycles where I would start with tons of motivation and then I suddenly lose that motivation. It's because I don't have workout pals and get bored and I am not going to join a gym and shell out cash I can't afford to put out when I have my weights here at home.

So it comes down to the basic question - how do you keep motivated without dropping on and off like I do?

I know the end results should be motivation enough cause I love the way my arms look when I am working out so why can't I get the zeal to re-start already? I do listen to all sorts of music when I workout and even change up the type of lifting I do.

Cranberry

Re: Exercise and Motivation

Post by Cranberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:56 pm

For the first time I am posting my goal here for motivation I can tell you after how that goes at the end of November :lol:

I had a conversation with DH some months ago:
me "I don't feel like going to the gym"
him "You never feel like going to the gym!"

He's right! Once I start exercising it's not even that bad. Sometimes I just tell myself to go there and start. It doesn't matter how much I get done, just focus on starting. Usually when I start it I finish, and the rare times I don't, I don't beat myself up over it because I accomplished my goal of starting.

I also like to exercise in the morning so I don't spend the rest of my day thinking about it and procrastinating.

Break things into small specific goals "I will do my arm exercises three times a week, Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, for three weeks" and then keep track. After you can look back and you'll think "well that wasn't very hard".

ETA: I don't even know if that answered your question after re-reading :oops:

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:29 pm

Cranberry, you did give me 2 good ideas throughout your post.

Having a post in a public forum where you share with others your progress - whether daily, weekly, etc. can be a form of motivation in itself.

Taking days in between is something my dad mentioned to me cause he said doing it everyday can make your motivation break. He said I should take about 2 days off the week, like weekend, like a refresher. I only used to take Saturdays off. I can't even remember how or why I stopped but I feel like I am pushing a boulder up a mountain at the moment cause part of me wants to re-start and the other half is like, "gosh, do I have to start today? Can't I start tomorrow?" Sounds a lot like laziness to huh? lol But there was one time where I was super committed and had lots of motivation still, even when I felt lazy I got up and did it and once I started - about 1/4 to 1/2 way through my routine I would feel like I could do more than my usual.

I think i may just have to give myself a kick start by force or something. I really wish I had friends who I could workout with though.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi!
Roxanne, great topic. This year I have really begun exercising, zumba, treadmill, tae bo etc. What motivates me?...
every day I tell myself, "I am WORTH the time and effort". When we take time out for ourselves, we are a better person for others. I try to keep it simple, cuz I am just as good at arguing with myself as others! lol

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm

lol, I often argue with myself too. I like your thinking "I am worth it!"

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:52 pm

Roxanne wrote:lol, I often argue with myself too. I like your thinking "I am worth it!"
yes you are, friend ;)

Denise

Post by Denise » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:32 am

My bat wings and being in a bikini in January keep me motivated :shock:

Laury

Post by Laury » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

I have been walking a half hour both yesterday and today. Hopefully Thursday and Friday I will do it. Tomorrow I go have a blood draw. If I exercise both Thursday and Friday it counts as a full week.

Roxanne

Post by Roxanne » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:21 pm

Hehe, I actually need to gain weight (high metabolism here) and lifting the weights do help with the weight gain thing, I don't do any exercise that will make me burn tons of calories. I am taking MaMere's advice though and I keep thinking to myself "I am worth it." I don't have a problem with myself at all but I just never thought of it the way she put it.

Good Luck Laury!

Tomorrow is a holiday here so I am going out walking with my friend and her sisters to see the deyas all lit up. This friend of mine wants to lose weight and once in a blue moon we would go walking together cause she always lazes out :roll:. There was this one week where she stuck to it and I walked and lifted my weights while I walked. I enjoyed the change of pace and wish she would get more serious about losing weight cause I enjoyed having the company that time.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm

great job Laury! take care of you!

enjoy your Holiday tomorrow Roxanne!