Exercise and Motivation

Misa

Re: Exercise and Motivation

Post by Misa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Hello, friends! First time in this thread. I'm sorry for those of you that aren't feeling well.

I'm hoping to overcome this huge hurdle. My husband and I have been actively eating better this year; I've dropped 10 lbs so far! But I know to continue to lose and feel better, I need to get moving more. This past couple of weeks, I've been looking to use my students as motivation. We've been trying to sneak in walks as we can. Since I have two classes, it pushes me to get moving and breaks it up into smaller chunks - it makes it seem more doable.

What are you doing to stay motivating and moving during the winter? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:58 pm

Laury, sorry to hear that you have been sick, happy to hear you are taking care of yourself and recently able to get your walks in.

Misa, I have taken time off exercise until after my recovery, but normally I would use my elliptical trainer or DVD's to workout, and the past 3 years I used to do a walking program, but my walking buds have dropped this year too, and the leaving of our main motivator we just don't want to do it. I like exercise to be hard and sweaty, I personally not one that can break up workouts to smaller amounts. PS, I found your 10 lbs.

Me, I have one more week until my surgery. I found someone to work for me (not in my job description, but I did it anyways), I think she will workout. She has worked many jobs around this area and is known for working hard, she has worked for us before as a janitor and had the school spotless, even spoiled me by cleaning tables and chairs for me after every meal.

Laury

Post by Laury » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 am

Misa, good job on losing 10 pounds!! I do different things to keep myself motivated mostly what I watch/listen to while I exercise. The only allowed exercise, for me, is 3 10 minute walks a day. I can make shorter walks but no longer than 10 minutes. (My right lung no longer functions wants me to keep watch of the time.)
Exercising with your classes is good. What I have heard others do for exercise is parking further from where they are going, using the steps instead of escalator/elevator and things like that. This way they just make exercise more a part of the life.

Maddie

Post by Maddie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:12 am

Misa wrote:Hello, friends! First time in this thread. I'm sorry for those of you that aren't feeling well.

I'm hoping to overcome this huge hurdle. My husband and I have been actively eating better this year; I've dropped 10 lbs so far! But I know to continue to lose and feel better, I need to get moving more. This past couple of weeks, I've been looking to use my students as motivation. We've been trying to sneak in walks as we can. Since I have two classes, it pushes me to get moving and breaks it up into smaller chunks - it makes it seem more doable.

What are you doing to stay motivating and moving during the winter? I'd love to hear your suggestions.

Hey there Misa congratulations on your big achievment, 10 pounds is a lot of weight I bet it makes a huge difference for you

Misa

Post by Misa » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you for the kind words. 10 pounds is a big difference, but I have a lot more to go. I'll get there, eventually. ;)

Laury, glad you mentioned about parking - that's something my husband and I have always done, thankfully.

I'm going to be brutally honest with you and more importantly, myself - I know I am terribly out of shape. I have recently picked up a balance ball and dvd, but my living room is dreadfully small, so it's not easy. But I do like the ball; it adds some interest without being overwhelming for someone starting out. :D

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Got some exercise today. For our Professional Development Day (Pro-D) the staff met up in town, broke off into teams (that were determined on Tuesday) and we went on a Scavenger Hunt. Lucky this girl still remembers short-cuts around that town. We were the first team in the door, but the second to take a pic of it. Of course a big kerfuffle broke out over that. And the two teams did agree to share the prize, but the boss' team tried to disqualify us because we didn't get a picture with a statue of Ronald McDonald, just a high chair with his picture on it. Then debates over our team's and the second team's picture of a steam engine, reality we both didn't have a picture of it, we both had cabooses. In the end we ended up doing a draw for the 1st place prizes to stop the arguing.

Laury

Post by Laury » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 am

Yesterday and today I have been able to do my exercising. On Friday I resigned from helping our complex during the daytime. It seemed so stupid to have to take off my oxygen, go to the door and tell the same resident the same thing I told her multiple times before. "When you choose to not have your keys, you are choosing to be locked out. Call maintenance and they will come unlock. The fine for not having your keys will be added to your rent."

Misa

Post by Misa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Good for you, Laury - I know that is a frustration of yours for a long time. I hope this helps you out.

Yesterday, DH and I went to the zoo. Walking around there was a great workout with the hills and stairs. I just wish I lived near it!

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Crazy~ you have your surgery yet? Thinkin gof you, check in when you can!

Hi Laury~ GREAT job to you! I know it isn't always easy for you, but you ALWAYS try, and you also stay positive. Keep up the great work, and hoping you are feeling good!

Hi Misa! FUN FUN FUN to go to the Zoo~and what a great way to get a workout in...

Hi Maddie~Welcome to the Exercse and Motivation Forum! We have fun here, and sometimes, need that extra support from eachother to stay motivated! Check in with us often!

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Laury, I am actually happy that you stopped that. You had to miss out on so much of your exercise to be available for people that were being too lazy, and with your needing oxygen full time, it is time to take care of you. Good for you getting your exercise in too.

Misa, lucky you getting to walk around the zoo for exercise. I had fun a couple years ago when we went to the big city zoo. Just wish we got up closer to the hippos, they were over on the other side of the pond.

MaMere, good to see you. What have you been up to lately? Still doing your Zumba?

Me, I had my surgery today. It was done latroscopically (sp), so it was day surgery. I ended up hanging around the hospital longer than needed because hubby came home and by the time they phoned him he had to pick up the girls first. I am stretched out on the loveseat, laptop on my lap. I am not in very much pain. I am must confused on how much time I am to take off. In the office 2 weeks ago the Dr said 1 week, the handouts the nurses gave me said 2-3 weeks, then the extra paper the Dr gave the nurses to give me say to make an appointment at the office in 4-6 weeks. Going to have to call on Monday to ask now long. I have to let work know a number.