Exercise and Motivation

Dissie

Re: Exercise and Motivation

Post by Dissie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:39 am

Crazy, glad to hear your surgery is over! I am sure you will have discomfort for a few days. I am thinking you probably will be able to return to "light duty" soon, but shouldln't be lifting or working as hard as you do for weeks! Let us know how you are doing. Oh and thanks for the zucchini recipes you posted on the other board. Can't have too many of those, I love zucchini and like to see new ways to prepare it!

Laury

Post by Laury » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 pm

crazy, I hope that you recover quickly and with as little pain as possible.

Today was my 4th day of walking 30 minutes a day. I was done exercising by 6:30. On my 3'rd walk as I pass the oxygen machine for my last time, I turn on the oxygen and wear it the rest of the day.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Dissie, thanks for the well wishes, your welcome for the recipes. I have been making them the last 2 summers to use up zucchini. My family wasn't too keen on the thought of zucchini casseroles but they love them. Do you have any suggestions for me?

Laury, good for you getting your walking in before 6:30, I was just rolling out of bed by that time, to see my son off to school.

I am feeling more cut up today. Yesterday I felt that my abs were sore like I did a few too many crunches, it wasn't that bad, so I did probably did too much, we had to pick up meds before coming home and I made my own dinner, but found my cuts were bleeding, so today I am taking it easy, I am stretched out on the couch with the tv and laptop on. I have my water, e-reader, novel, phone, cell-phone and remotes all in easy reach. I have plans on getting some free games on the tablet for the kids to play with. My meds sure helped with the pain this morning.

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Hope everyone is doing well. I have been mostly plastered to the couch. I did head out shopping yesterday. I have taken myself off most doses of my prescribed pain meds, making me feel too sick, I have been using a combination of Tylenol and Ibuprofen instead. Today my back seems to hurt more today, I think I really need to just move around more to get other things moving (aka bowel). So a little later I will try and do some laps around the house. I am not home alone today, my son's teachers are on strike.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:43 pm

So happy to read that the surgery is behind you, crazy! My thoughts are with you, that you continue to heal and feel stronger with every day!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Rest up and heal up.

Laury

Post by Laury » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:12 am

Hi all! Crazy how are you feeling? When can you return to work? I think it may depend on the type of work you do. Years ago I had an unexpected appendix removal on Memorial Day. I was the only expense report auditor at Paramount Pictures. They actually came to me the day after the removal and wanted me to do the work from my hospital bed. Originally I was going to have a 2 week recovery. Once the doctor saw me working from the hospital bed, I didn't get to return until the July 5.

I have found that when I can walk my 30 minutes by 6AM, its a much better way to start my day. I have been waking up around 2AM. I have quiet time and my first walk around 2:40, my second one around 4 and my last one around 5:45 after Tom goes to work. Last week I managed 4 days, this week 3 days. Friday we have nobody else with a Master Key so I rest. Last week I covered for 14 hours. Tom left at 5:30, came home at 6PM to hand me dinner, I woke him at 7:50 so he could lock up the Laundry Room and the Community Room.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:41 pm

Kudos to you Laury, for keeping up on your personal program. So happy that it makes you feel better when you walk.
Exercise does the same to me too. I function better throughout the day, and sleep MUCH better in the night.

I'm still doing 80 minutes a day on the treadmill, 6 days a week. Well, actually on saturdays I do about 40 mins. Not sure why but its always more difficult to set my mind to it when Hubby is home.

We're eatting healthier than ever. Have incorporated Organic foods, fruits & veggies in every place possible. Doing far less red meat (once, MAYBE twice per week) also. Just feel much much better in relation to all the baby steps we have taken to get a bit healthier.

Still do my mega vitamins/minerals/supplements every day too. I fell off the wagon with this for about 4 weeks, and felt it! The B vitamins are soooo good for stress, and how it affects the body. Not sure why I stopped, but the important thing is that I am now back on it all.

Crazy, hoping you are healing perfectly!

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am recovering well. I went out yesterday for 4 hours to visit co-workers and take my son to the school for our Health and Career Fair.

Laury, awesome you have keep up your exercise routine. I can't get over your company wanting yo to work from your hospital bed after an appendix surgery, I had mine out almost 11 years ago, mine had burst while in surgery. I was in so much pain that I took about 5-10 minutes just to roll over.

MaMere, wow 80 minutes a day for 6 days a week. I could only dream of it right now.

Me, well I work as a School Cook so there is no way I could work right now. I lift so many heavy things, and I am one of those people who don't ask for help if I can do it myself, I won't ask until I know I can't do it. I am very stubborn. I only found out my gallbladder was this bad after I pulled a muscle in my back lifting big pots of pasta to dump them. After my appendix surgery I did go back to cooking school after 2 weeks, which was a bad idea, I was back in the kitchen after 2 1/2 weeks. I originally thought that I had 2 weeks of class time so I asked to go back and got the Surgeon's ok. I never fessed up that I was back to cooking when I went back for my check-up. That was very stupid of me. I will admit that. So this time around I will take it easy. I am not going back until end of the month. I would have asked to go back next week but we have Spring Break the week of the 17-25. So I got to call the Surgeon's office and make an appointment to see if I get the ok.

Laury

Post by Laury » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

When I audited expense reports, I was the only employee who did this. I had asked my supervisor to let me cross train someone but there were too many little rules, exceptions, and other reasons she wanted only me to do them.
One of the interesting rules was if 5,000 people ate a meal, and only 4,999 were employees it had to be entertainment, If all 5,000 were employees at the time of the lunch it was business lunch. One person signed his contract at 1:15 and the lunch had been at noon, it was still
entertainment.