Suggestions for more low carb breakfasts please

HeatherFeather

Suggestions for more low carb breakfasts please

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I have had eggs every way you can think of preparing them and I am getting sick of eating eggs so much.

I am trying to eat low carb, high fiber. Since I am back in the early phase of low carb, I am trying to avoid bread and limiting fruits for now too. I need to find some other breakfast staples and I am drawing a blank.

I know I can have some leftovers, but I really don't want to eat those for breakfast all the time either.

Any suggestions?

Mary

Re: Suggestions for more low carb breakfasts please

Post by Mary » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 am

I'd try yogurt with granola (layered like a sundae), cottage cheese with nuts and olives, strips of cheese wrapped in thin slices of ham or turkey, or a breakfast shake of some kind.

Heck, I bet a tossed green salad would be good with bites of ham and cheese and a simple vinaigrette. Torn greens will last a day or two if dried and stored in a covered container -- mix them up, store them, plate a serving of greens and top with bacon and grated cheese (and when you're ready, add a poached or hard cooked egg).

I'll bet someone here has a recipe for crustless quiche with egg whites (which is not quite an egg :) -- and you can add vegetables or spinach or meat to it.

For leftovers or something new, how about a wrap with a large lettuce leaf or a low carb tortilla?

Hope these ideas help. :)
Last edited by Mary on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Denise

Post by Denise » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 am

This will sound weird, but I love it - scoop of cottage cheese topped with diced tomatoes and green onion. I'm not a fan of "typical" breakfast fare :lol:

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 pm

How about a vegetable frittata, or add meat, you can do that and stay low carb.

I made this often when I was low carbing and ate salsa on top:
QUESADILLA QUICHE
8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
1 medium Roma tomato, seeded and diced, about 4 ounces
5 green onions, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt

Put the cheese, chiles, tomatoes and green onions in a greased 9 1/2-10 inch pie plate. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and salt. Pour into the pie plate and mix everything just to combine. Bake at 350º 35 minutes or until the center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:53 pm

I also used to make a mexican quiche

8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz can chopped green chiles
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 eggs
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Grease a large glass pie plate. Beat the eggs with the cream and seasonings. Put the cheese in the bottom of the pie plate; sprinkle the chiles evenly over the cheese. Slowly pour the egg mixture evenly over the cheese. Bake at 350º for 35 minutes or until done. Sercve with salsa. Yummmmmm, I need to make this soon. I love it! (Not my recipe, found it years ago and had it saved.)

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately I am also quiched out, as that is basically eggs in pie form and I have had that several times already as well.

Not sure I can face a salad first thing in the morning. I do love yogurt with fruit - but those are both more carby things that I need to avoid until I have lost more weight. I can have some berries, just not lots. I do eat about 1 yogurt cup a week anyway, just because I do want the dairy. Let me tell you those breakfasts of a simple yogurt with some berries sound like a dream to me now! I am salivating at the thought lol.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Heather here's my suggestion for a very low carb brekkie, make yourself a small steak and an egg, then enjoy! ;) :D

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:01 am

Steak seems like a big meal for breakfast! I'd leave out the egg though - so sick of eggs.

I was hoping there were more low carb breakfast meals that did not contain eggs - I see pretty much everyone is having just as hard a time finding them as I am. Pretty much everything else either is egg based or something too carby (pancakes, waffles, Danish, muffins, cereal, sigh - I miss all of those things!)

I like to eat a small breakfast on weekdays because I am usually rushing out the door to take my dd to school. She eats something entirely different, so her meals don't matter - but I usually can't eat what she is having.

I think breakfast is the biggest challenge for a low carber - so many breakfast foods are very high carb.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 am

After doing a bit of searching I learned some good news - Greek yogurt is OK for low carbers! Yay - I prefer whole milk yogurts and Greek yogurts anyway. I don't mind eating plain yogurt that I can add my own things to, so this is good news!!

Now I will feel better about having some yogurt meals, with some berries on top, on a more regular basis.

Another suggestion I found as smoked salmon rolled up around cream cheese or veggies. I am not a huge fan of smoked salmon eaten just plain, but maybe rolled up in cheese would be ok. I can try it. My dd loves smoked salmon.

Mary

Post by Mary » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 am

Well Heather, it seems we can't stay away from eggs. Sorry about that.

I'm also clearly not informed about low carbing, and I'm sorry about suggesting yogurt and cottage cheese. I was thinking protein and calcium, but I just don't know how the whole thing works, I guess. I did think that lean meats, vegetables, and lowfat cheeses were OK, but now I'm not sure.

So I'll watch and learn as others post suggestions.

I know Derf's pancake recipe has egg whites in it, but they're "disguised" as a pancake and can be frozen and reheated in a toaster. You can add fruit -- or not. Maybe it's a maybe?

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/oatmea ... Categories