Suggestions for more low carb breakfasts please

HeatherFeather

Re: Suggestions for more low carb breakfasts please

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:18 pm

The main things I need to avoid for now (until I lose a bit more weight) are anything that has sugars/starch, especially things made with refined sugars, flours, grains. Things like bread, pasta, flour,rice, white potatoes, etc are all things I should try to avoid as much as possible for now. It is so hard!

I can eat dairy items, I just have to pay attention to the carbs in them - they unfortunately have a lot in some cases. Most hard cheeses are fine, as well as most semi-soft cheeses. Meats I can eat,as well as all non starchy veggies. I can eat fats as long as they are natural fats (not things like shortening or most margarine). Fruit is pretty limited for now, although I can have small amounts of berries and nuts occasionally. I can have things like pickles & olives too.

My staples when reducing carbs tend to be the following:
eggs, avocados, chicken/turkey sausage, Canadian bacon, hard semi/soft cheese, salad, chicken breasts, steaks, fish, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, cucumbers, tomatoes, mushrooms

There are other things I can eat, but those are the ones I end up eating most often as they are available and affordable, plus both dd and I will eat them.

It is a real pain to maintain low carbs, but I know for my body it always works. I usually am able to get off a nice chunk of weight and keep it off a long time. Unfortunately, I do eventually want to start eating breads and rice etc again and I just have to really be careful about limiting how much of those kinds of foods I eat later on, because it certainly will come back on.

I usually try to be careful to just maintain a steady healthy weight, but the weight I gained through my divorce process was a lot more than I usually would put on and it has been beating me. I am finally fed up and want my body back, so I am going to tough it out and try to get all of that off asap. Since I no longer have the divorce hanging over my head, I don't anticipate gaining as much back - but I will still need to be careful about the baked goods and stuff like that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :) Keep the ideas coming.
Last edited by HeatherFeather on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm

Dont these look yummy!???!
Zucchini pizza

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Dissie wrote:Dont these look yummy!???!
Zucchini pizza
That looks very good! I think that is a do-able breakfast or lunch.

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:43 am

I agree with Heather, Dissie. That looks really good. Is it here on Zazz? I couldn't find it.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:41 am

No, its not on Zazz, it was on a blog.

Pretty basic, they cut the zucchini into slices, then grilled each side, took off and put on pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese and placed back on the grill to melt the cheese. I am sure it would be just as easy on the stove top with a grill pan, then cover with a lid to melt the cheese or place in the oven to melt the cheese and get the pepperoni to heat up. :D

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks, Dissie. I cruised around and found it, as well as other versions that are cooked on the cook top and broiled in the oven (or even in a toaster oven). The thickness of the zucchini ranges from 1/2 inch to one inch, and the times under the broiler vary from 2 minutes to 5 minutes, so this is a dish in progress. Since we don't grill, I'll be experimenting with them to see how long to broil them and how thick to cut the zucchini. Now all I need is some zucchini!

Christianna

Post by Christianna » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:30 pm

eggs would be the choice for me, this is a great topic it's interesting to hear what everyone's idea is on low carb :)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 pm

I know its eggs, but I was thinking "scotch eggs" would be a great thing to make and just carry and go for you.
French Tart made a tutorial on the other site. You could use low carb bread for the bread crumbs.

Mary

Post by Mary » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I was talking to my daughter about the zucchini pizzas, and she said that they use Portobello mushrooms much the same way. That led me to search here and I found these.

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/portabella-pizzettas

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/stuffe ... ooms-spicy

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/portob ... sandwiches (I realize this has eggs in it, but a substitute might make it worthwhile)

Lots of recipes in a google search spelled both ways portabella and portobello.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Mary, portobella pizza's are soooooooo good. I used to make them all the time when I low carbing. Makes you think you are cheating! :lol: I don't know why I never thought of zucchini....sounds like a great idea!