My lowering the carbs daily journal

HeatherFeather

My lowering the carbs daily journal

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:37 pm

Sorry in advance if this is a little boring :D

I am trying to reduce carbs to help jump start some weight loss. I have done this before successfully, only I never quite finished the entire process. I am hoping that by posting a log of my meals, it will keep be focused, and maybe even help out others who have no clue where to begin. If anyone else wants to post their low carb meals too, by all meals feel free :)

Some of my personal rules for myself:
1) Going 100% no carbs really never works for me - I quit too soon because I feel deprived, so I won't be doing that
2) I am still going to incorporate some carby foods into my diet that I already have in the house. I am going to use up foods that would otherwise expire or spoil while I am trying to lose the weight. I don't plan to buy any new carb filled foods unless I need to for my kid.

So today my meals were:
Breakfast - my sink decided to back up on me, so my original plan to make an egg breakfast went out the window. I ended up only having some coffee (no sugar) and an organic yogurt cup (it expires tomorrow). So not exactly low carb, but oh well.

Lunch - I made a salad with mixed field greens/spring greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, half an avocado, and a small scoop of chicken salad I need to use up. I added a small amount of ginger salad dressing that also needs to get used up. Fairly low carb, except for the dressing.

Dinner - planning to make a Tarragon Chicken recipe that is from a low carb cookbook. Also planning to make mashed cauliflower, a low carb staple.

For beverages today, I have had iced tea (no sugar), coffee with creamer (no sugar), and water.

My snack will either be a small handful or olives or nuts, whichever I feel like.

HeatherFeather

Re: My lowering the carbs daily journal

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Breakfast today:
1 sausage, 1 scrambled egg, 1 handful sauteed mushrooms

Lunch:
Steak au Poivre (a low carb recipe)
Avocado half with a dollop of blue cheese dressing
http://www.recipezazz.com/viewforums/vi ... f=4&t=2778

Dinner:
Planning to make some chicken I have marinating in a Ginger Lime bottled marinade (one of the things I need to use up), and will serve with with some leftover boiled cabbage

Snack was a handful of olives & pickled mushrooms.

For now, I have been following suggestions from a low carb cookbook for most of my meals.

Beverages so far have been unsweetened iced tea, hot tea with Truvia & a splash of milk, coffee with creamer, water.

Issues: I felt hungry at night - which is surprising because I had a pretty hearty set of meals, but I didn't cheat. I am pretty tempted to grab another snack, but I resisted.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:53 am

Breakfast:
2 eggs, 1 sausage patty, handful of sauteed mushrooms (sauteed in Smart Balance)

Lunch a very tiny scoop of leftover rotisserie chicken salad, 1 tiny skinless chicken drumstick, 1 cup butternut squash soup*

Dinner Leftover tarragon chicken (low carb recipe from earlier in the week), mashed cauliflower, leftover boiled cabbage

Snack: small handful of olives/mushrooms

Beverages: Made a pitcher of iced barley tea, also had some coffee w/creamer and hot tea with a tiny splash of milk and 1/2 pkg Truvia, water, 1 small bottle Coke Zero

*I was planning to make homemade butternut squash soup, as per a recipe in my diet cookbook. However, it was so incredibly hot and I had too many errands to run, so I bought some soup from the deli counter at Fresh Market. The soup from the deli isn't low carb, but it wasn't a ton of calories either. I have half of the little tub leftover for tomorrow.

I also had a diet soda today (the Coke Zero) because I was out shopping and it was so very hot. It was either that or a sugar version, so I got it. I had promised myself to avoid diet soda, but oh well.

Also, I saw that a I had a package of expensive blackberries that were starting to turn. Those were supposed to be for my daughter's school lunch last week, but they didn't get eaten up. So I salvaged the remaining good berries and ate those as a dessert with 1 Tbsp cream and 1/2 packet of Truvia to sweeten them (they were tart - probably why dd hadn't eaten them).

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:56 am

Breakfast:
1 egg, 1 sausage, some leftover mashed cauliflower

Lunch: plan to eat leftover butternut squash soup and a leftover roasted chicken thigh with some salad greens

Dinner: the book gave me some suggestions for eating out - I might do this, otherwise I will make steamed Spargel (German style white asparagus) with Hollandaise sauce. I used to love eating that during Spargel season in Germany - it doesn't sound filling to just eat asparagus for dinner, but the sauce is very rich - this way you get the tasty sauce and a whole mountain of veggie - very satisfying.

As it turned out, although I had only just bought the asparagus a few days ago, it was already starting to turn a bit. I had to toss about half, so I steamed what was still good to eat and heated up some leftover cabbage to make up for the loss of bulk. I also hard boiled and egg, sliced it, and served that on top of the sauce I ladled over the veggies. It ended up being fairly filling, but not as satisfying.

I had bunch of fruit/veg to toss today, so before I lost more produce, I sliced up the one remaining good peach and spooned some yogurt on top. Very not low carb, but both the yogurt and the fruit still need to get used up.

I have some errands to run today, so it will depend on whether or not I feel more like grabbing something or cooking when it gets to that point.

Beverages: Coffee w/creamer, water, unsweetened iced barley tea, hot tea

I also ordered a copy of the latest incarnation of the Atkins diet, which has updated the rules on low carb eating - I am excited to read the changes and try some new recipes. I hope they are good.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 am

Down 3 1/2 pounds today

Breakfast: 1 sausage, 2 egg omelet with 2 Tbsp mozzarella cheese, 1 Tbsp smoked salmon

Beverages: coffee w/half & half (creamer is finally all gone)

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 am

Congrats HF! My cardiologist recommended eating any carbs before 3 pm. Protein and veggies only after that. He swears the pounds melt off of his patients who eat this way. I agree with you, no way I can go totally carb free.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:24 am

racrgal wrote:Congrats HF! My cardiologist recommended eating any carbs before 3 pm. Protein and veggies only after that. He swears the pounds melt off of his patients who eat this way. I agree with you, no way I can go totally carb free.
That is an interesting idea. Another plan I had looked at (Slimming World or something like that) did a mixed carbs/high protein thing too. I didn't like their recipes as much, so I didn't really give it a full try.

I think they have come a long way is determining which carbs are bad and good and that having some can actually help. I will be happy to read the changes to the Atkins plan, which seems to also be adding in some formerly forbidden items to the earlier stages of the system. I am happy that I still have lost some weight but fit in a few carbs here and there.

I hope I can keep the momentum going strong!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm not doing as well as you guys because I was doing well with just exercising and heating a bit healthier; but now with no treadmill, biking, or rollerblading ... that may change with my ankle injury.

I still stick with my cottage cheese, yogurt or fruit for breakfast. Now and then I don't mind a poached egg or hard boiled egg which is what I had this am with some fruit. And yes, bacon or sauce is a great protein to have as well.

Lunch, RARE; but if anything, a small cup of soup or a small leftover. Today, just a couple of slices of cheese, crackers and grapes. Yes, crackers have carbs, but they are low fat triscuits and I'm only having 6 or so.

I don't snack. Well, I shouldn't say never, but, I can't remember the last time I did.
Drinks, I do like soda, diet caffine free, 1 cup caffine in the am, water, crystal light lemonade flavor and gatorade or G4. Ice tea is ok if I am out, but not a favorite.
I do like my glass of wine or cocktail, and that won't go away.

If I have a sandwich, I'm trying to use a good quality low fat bread and only 1 piece, cut in half or open face.
I have just tried to cut back on pasta, or starch, but I still eat it.
The pasta I do use the lighter type
Rice, I have used up my white, but I do enjoy brown most of the time.
I do eat fruit and veggies regular which I think helps balance your diet.

Their are carbs in almost everything it seems, and I think you guys have the right idea with moderation. Most would be shocked as to how many carbs are in some foods.
More fruits, veggies, high proteins, and less carbs.
But even potatoes ... they aren't that bad ... it is what is on them.

Tonight, I am making a tuna nicoise salad. A simple vinaigrette, lemon, red wine, evoo, shallots, herbs (even that has carbs); but, that isn't too bad especially when you just drizzle it on.
tuna grilled with just seasoning, potatoes, boiled, no butter, lettuce, tomato, onion etc. Then olives ... yes, some carbs; however, they offer other benefits. So you got to way the pros and the cons.
==================================================
Sorry for the long post, but I hope this will be helpful.

My friend who I consult with (on cooking) is trying to low carb as well for she, her huband and 2 kids; all who are over weight. Just a couple of weeks ago she sent me her weekly diet plan. Now, she had been following my plan I gave her and she did really well. The last month she has been on her own and called to tell me she had gained and didn't know why. I gave her lots of ideas, but this past month is the first she has cooked her own recipes or ideas. Before she had followed my week plan of meals. Her family lost an average of 12 lbs per person for just 4 weeks. Her kids are 12 and 15.

This was her last weeks plan she sent me. As you can see, I understand why she gained. She did use some of the advice I gave her, but combined it in the wrong way. If you want to have a sauce or rice one night; make sure your other items are not carbs. You can still have them, just try to mix them up and balance everything.

1. Salmon w/lemon dill sauce (pkg'd); rice Uncle Bens; broccoli steamed
Nothing wrong with rice (but don't add the oil or butter as the pkg directions suggest, it isn't necessary), but the salmon which she did grill was perfect; but the sauce - a pkg sauce. She could of mixed a little dill, lemon, and capers with yogurt and that would of been just as good and hardly any calories

2. Spaghetti whole wheat, sauce no meat, salad low fat creamy caesar dressing
I would of said the light or Dreamfields pasta or any other brand, and watch the portion; the sauce, she used a jar. Make your own, you can control the salt and other ingredients and it is so easy to make and it takes no time, a jar has so much salt; the salad great, but bottled is so bad and you really have to watch portions, but she said NO croutons or extra cheese ... she would of been better off with more cheese and less dressing

3. Out, Applebees salad; she thought salad was beter
Ever look at the calories ... shocking. And always ask for the dressing on the side. She would of been better off with a steak, potato and side salad

4. Fried fish; fried potatoes; coleslaw
She said she used Pam to fry the fish; potatoes, no butter; but the coleslaw low fat mayo.
Why not bake the fish and just lightly put breading on the top vs the whole fish, it comes out wonderful with tons of flavor; potatoes, bake or roast, you don't need hardly any olive oil and seasoning use low salt or a salt substitute with herbs; also the coleslaw, use a light vinegar based dressing with just as much flavor and no fat and add extra veggies

5. Broccoli soup and grilled tuna melts
Broccoli soup with cheese, NOT good. She thought because of low fat cheese, skim milk and broccoli it was OK. NO. Make a broth based soup, cheese as a garnish, and just a little cream for texture - but just a little, you don't need much. AND NO Velveta please.
Also, the tuna melt is fine, but it can be made without mayo. Low fat or NOT, it still has carbs. She could of made one with a evoo/vinegar base, capers, onions and then a slice of swiss. Just as good, WAY less fat. And make it open face.

6. Low fat chicken salad on a croissant, sweet potato fries with aioli; dessert, pound cake with fresh fruit and whipped low fat cream (cool whip)
Great idea. Chicken salad is fantastic. Use yogurt instead of mayo, it works great. Also, add grapes and other veggies and nuts for flavors. A croissant, bad choice, use a whole grain bread, or stuff it in a pita, still carbs, but better than a croissant; better yet, stuff it in a tomato or in a lettuce wrap.
Sweet potato fries, great, but NO aioli even if it is low fat.Try a fresh fruit dip or no dip at all. Season the fries well and they are just as good.
Dessert ... try Angel Food, and even buy it. Fresh fruit, wonderful. Microwave to break it down and serve it warm over the cake. Healthy, easy, sweet and delicious. Add a little brown sugar or honey to the fruit if necessary. Then use a greek yogurt for the topping rather than synthetic cool whip.

7. Terriyaki steak kabobs with mashed potatoes made with chicken broth; sauteed mushrooms and onions; stuffed tomatoes with breading and cheese
Terriyaki, go easy. You can brush it on vs marinating, less sodium and just as good. Break the strong terriyaki with a little fresh orange juice;
Try mashed cauliflower, with broth, then you could even add a little spoon of light sour cream, yogurt or even a little butter. For the sauteed mushrooms and onions. Try just roasting them, or put them on a kabob and just brush lightly with olive oil and season, much healthier.
Finally the tomatoes; great choice, but stuff with ricotta and spinach and a little parm. Even top with a little spoon of bread crumbs, but it still is much healthier.

Well, this past week, I sent them another menu plan which they followed and they all lost weight again. So, it shows that; not only does low carb work, but moderation and mixing up your choices to balance out your choices and meals. I got hired for another 2 months to get their meals on track.

All 4 are Type II diabetes, way over weight and sky high cholesterol and other issues. Since they started my plan, both kids are borderline diabetic, but no meds any more, just diet. The Mom is very close as well which is a good thing.

I am NOT a medical person, and I never offer medical advice. I just advise he and his family on healthy eating which is what they need since neither he or his wife cook much. We trade his business for my advice, so it is just a friendly arrangement, but it worked well. I also make sure they check with their doctor at all times. But for the most part, I just suggest healthier meals for them to cut back on what they shouldn't eat.
==========================================

Well sorry to rant on, but I thought this may be helpful. This is their second week back doing my menu I plan for them. They let me know on Sundays their progress. Both parents never learned to cook so this is all new for them, and they are willing to learn and to teach their kids. They also make the kids cook with them every night to learn that Mickey Dees and take out pizza is the best ... and they can still enjoy it, just pick wisely and balance.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Yes, unfortunately I can see all the areas where if was trying to avoid carbs/sugar, she was way off the mark. So many of those foods have high sugar counts - almost all of those bottled teriyaki sauces and pasta sauces have both high sugar and sodium.

I try as much as possible to use actual whole foods - cook my own veggies from fresh or frozen, make my own sauces so I can leave out the sugar/salt (or at least greatly reduce it). I have to avoid rice for now, as it is a weak area for me. Those bottled low fat dressing are horrible - so much sugar is added.

When I low carb, I guess it is a slightly easier transition for me since I already love fresh veggies, don't use lots of precanned/preboxed etc stuff. My problem areas are always baked goods I bake, rice!!!!, and too much fruit. While I am trying to knock off weight, I can easily avoid the baked goods and rice, allowing myself a tiny bit once a week maybe. The fruit I can't eliminate or I go crazy, so I still eat some, but I am avoiding eating too much of it. I am thinking of fruit as my dessert.

Lucky for me that one of my favorite desserts is fruit salad with jello. If I am absolutely going nuts, I can at least have a tiny portion of fresh fruit and either a little scoop of real yogurt (I love plain) or a little jello and I am happy and don't feel deprived.

I am avoiding almost all diet soda and other diet drinks for now, unless I am out and don't have any other options. I will drink them if they have almost no sweetener at all (like Honest-T iced teas) in moderation or if they used stevia to sweeten the soda (again, only in moderation). I used to drink tons of diet soda, and now there is a lot of evidence being looked over supporting the idea that diet drinks actually inhibit weight loss. Whether that is true or not, it isn't like diet soda is all that great for me anyway, so as long as I have some unsweetened iced tea around, I am fine with that.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Good information bouncing around here. I'm so thrilled to moving back to an area where I will be able to find decent produce and grow some as well. The only market in this tiny town is a chain market but I swear they send us the outdated produce from their higher end stores. OK I know they don't sent the outdated stuff but it sure isn't FRESH. You know carrots have been in the store too long when they are starting to sprout. :shock:

The very first thing I am doing to the yard is to plant an avocado tree! :D