My lowering the carbs daily journal

HeatherFeather

Re: My lowering the carbs daily journal

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:27 am

Hoping for a new day, fresh start

Breakfast: 1 slice spinach quiche (leftovers), didn't eat the crust, coffee
Lunch: I ate some more quiche (tossed the crust) with a small avocado salad on the side
Dinner: leftovers (probably sausage & kraut)
Update: I did eat most of the leftover sausage/kraut and also had a small dinner salad to accompany it. I noticed a mango was very soft, so I ate that as well - amazing how it suddenly seemed sickeningly sweet to me.
Snack: 5 strawberries, 1/4 cup cashews

Weighed myself today again to see if yesterdays gain was just a fluctuation or something - and woohoo the weight was gone. I was still up 1 pound overall from where I had been a few days ago, but I also weighed myself after lunch, right after eating - so I am not concerned about that really.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:14 am

Breakfast: Quiche (no crust), coffee, water
Lunch: salad, 1/4 cup cashews
Dinner: some homemade roasted butternut squash soup (no sugar at all), with another slice of leftover quiche (no crust), 1 cup blueberries w/splash of cream

That extra pound was gone today, give or take a few ounces. Seems like I am back on the down path again - hopefully it will continue tomorrow and onward.

Still drinking water and unsweetened tea, coffee & hot tea throughout the day

The squash and berries have carbs, but lots of fiber and nutrients. I can eat those sparingly, even though they do contain some carbs.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:36 pm

How many carbs a day are you trying to stay under?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:56 am

Dissie wrote:How many carbs a day are you trying to stay under?
I am not keeping track of numbers, just checking to see if the food contains carbs, and if it does, which kind of carbs - if the item is very high fiber and not refined, I will consider eating some of it. Otherwise, I am trying to just eat things that have very very low carbs or no carbs.

It is faster if I follow everything to the letter, but I am happier at a slightly slower pace and able to sometimes have a bit of carbs mixed in too. I miss bread so much - I have had almost none.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Whoops late start recording my food today. Hope I remember.

Breakfast: the last piece of quiche (no crust), with 2 pieces of bacon
Lunch: homemade squash soup, 1 Greek yogurt (2%)
Dinner: I made a homemade burger using the remaining leftover sauerkraut, a bit of thousand Island dressing as a spread, and a slice of Swiss cheese. I did eat a hamburger bun (had some needing to get used up). Had the remaining 1/2 cup blueberries too.

So some carbs yesterday, but I have no money left this month to buy more food and I have to eat stuff I have in the house.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:57 am

Breakfast: scrambled eggs, bacon, sauteed tomatoes & mushrooms

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:20 pm

I know there is a recipe for eggs in peppers on here.

Try them in a tomato. A medium tomato. Take a slice off the bottom so it sits; and then a slice off the top. Scoop out and add and add and some cheese, onion or ham. Bake at 400 until the egg is set.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:I know there is a recipe for eggs in peppers on here.

Try them in a tomato. A medium tomato. Take a slice off the bottom so it sits; and then a slice off the top. Scoop out and add and add and some cheese, onion or ham. Bake at 400 until the egg is set.
Sounds very good! I have seen that pepper recipe - that also looks good.

Tonight I have no idea what to prepare - my daughter went off with her friends and might not be up for much dinner besides ramen. I would have done the same on a night like tonight, but I am going to have to try to figure out something different - not wanting carbs after having a hamburger bun yesterday.

I had leftover soup for lunch and a tiny scoop of homemade egg salad (no bread).

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Heather, just out of concern...seems like you are getting no where near the caloric intake a woman of your age would need for healthy living? I know low carb is difficult to say the least, but it can also have horrible effects on the body if you aren't getting the proper nutrition too. :(

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:25 pm

MaMere wrote:Heather, just out of concern...seems like you are getting no where near the caloric intake a woman of your age would need for healthy living? I know low carb is difficult to say the least, but it can also have horrible effects on the body if you aren't getting the proper nutrition too. :(
I am also taking vitamin supplements to make sure I am not lacking in any areas of nutrition doing low carb.

When I eat my veggie portions, I have a nice sized serving. I keep the meat portions to the recommended guidelines (3-4 ounces) and I try to include some dairy as well. Usually my salads include some cheese and sometimes a sprinkling of nuts too.

Once I lose another 10 pounds, I plan to start adding some more things back to round out my meals more (like occasional bread & rice - but whole grain and limited portions). Right now I am sticking mainly to low carb, but have been eating some high fiber fruits and orange veggies ( butternut squash and sweet potatoes). I don't feel like I am starving or anything - and I am not terribly active, so I don't require as many calories as someone who is much more physical.

Also, this month my whole budget went to paying a huge tax bill I hadn't expected. I haven't been able to buy much of anything, so I have had to stick to what is lying around the house - which by now is getting to be very repetitive. I will be so happy when I can buy some ingredients for some different recipes I want to try!

For dinner I ended up eating some leftover turkey meatloaf I had in the freezer, since my daughter won't be home until who knows when (she is doing homework with a friend). I had a nice big portion of steamed fresh broccoli and a side salad. I also had 1 dark chocolate drop.

There is a mango that needs to get eaten, so I might slice that up to share with my daughter later tonight as a treat. I am also hoping to get some zucchini prepped for tomorrow - I have been wanting to try some sort of zucchini pizza or bake ever since it was mentioned in the low carb breakfasts thread.