Vegan recipes?

missmanda

Vegan recipes?

Post by missmanda » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Is anyone else besides me interested in vegan recipes?? :?

Dissie

Re: Vegan recipes?

Post by Dissie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Well I am not vegan, but as far as sides go, I would make recipes for sides.

AustinVegLiving

Post by AustinVegLiving » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 am

I'm only interested in vegan recipes!

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:23 pm

Oh good! Somebody heard me :D I'm not vegan either, but I'm considering it. Right now, just learning some recipes that can work as a main dish for me, but a side dish for my meat-loving husband. I can see myself living this way 95% of the time, but just trying it out for now.

I am currently about 3 weeks out from my annual blood tests (cholesterol, etc) and interested to find out what no animal products will do to that!

(BTW, I tried to get this to notify me by email when someone else posts, but I guess I did it wrong. You guys know how? )

AustinVegLiving

Post by AustinVegLiving » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 pm

You don't have to pressure yourself to commit, if you don't want to. It's not an all or nothing thing. Over the past 5 years, as I was working my way towards it, I would pick those favorite non-vegan meals that I wasn't ready to give up yet and plan them out on my calendar (have it 4 times a year, then 3 the next year, then 2, then 1). The more I ate vegan, the less I craved the old favorites. And when I did have them, it seemed they weren't as tasty as I remembered.

It's interesting about cholesterol. i have a friend who's been vegan for many years and is very fit. She had her cholesterol checked after many years of not, and it was high, so you can't just go vegan and think all will be well. All fats play a role. I hope you do see an improvement over your meat-eating days, though.

I see below this window I'm typing in, a checkbox for "notify me when a reply is posted".

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Yes, the check box! It finally works :)

Oh I agree.... only avoiding animal products won't take care of cholesterol by itself. Twinkies may well fit the vegan criteria (I'm not sure), but.... :shock: I gave up processed foods and fast food about 2 years ago and saw a big cholesterol improvement. I'm just hoping to carve away those last few points... Actually, its an experiment of sorts on my part. I recently read "The China Study" and have been reading some of Dr. Neal Barnard's books. He swears cholesterol will come down in 3 weeks. We'll see.... ;)

Thanks for your encouragement:) Finding new recipes in this area, and learning about it too, is fun for me.

AustinVegLiving

Post by AustinVegLiving » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh yeah...it sounds like you're doing his "Breaking The Food Seduction". I don't know if you're taking it as literally as I did, but you can mix and match recipes.

My favorites:
Autumn Vegetable Bisque
Better-Than-Grilled Cheese (misnamed, but still good)
Cheesy Broccoli Polenta
Cheesy Sauce for Macaroni
Chickenless Chicken Salad
Garlic Broccoli
Greens and Garlic
Maple-Walnut Granola
Orange-Oat Pancakes with Apple-Maple Fusion Topping
Red Bean Burritos
Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff
Sloppy Joe's
Steak Fries
Swiss-Style Meusli

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:33 pm

Yes, I've read that one too:) And thanks for the suggestions!

Marion_in_Savannah

Post by Marion_in_Savannah » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm

If you need to gel anything agar agar (kanten in Japanese) is vegan. It will even gel pineapple, which gelatin won't!

Here's a link you might find useful:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=frg ... 16&bih=567

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey that's good info, thanks! I've never heard of it before :o