Vegan recipes?

Laury

Re: Vegan recipes?

Post by Laury » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 am

missmanda, my last blood test was the best one my doctor had seen from me. The only change was after breakfast and lunch, I take a handful of mixed nuts. There has been no other change which would have made a difference.

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Laury :) I love nuts, especially cashews and walnuts. I usually have a few every day too. Good job on your blood test!

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I haven't been around for awhile, and I"ve missed you guys! Anyway, I did become vegan after all, and have been on the "whole foods plant based diet" described by the doctors in the documentary "Forks over Knives" for nearly 9 months now. My cholesterol went from 202 (total) in March of 2012 to 131 (total) as of November 2012, and I have lost about 18 pounds without trying at all. I am totally impressed with this diet, though it isn't really a diet so much as a way of living. At first it was hard to avoid animal based foods, but I have learned so much. I can recommend free lectures on youtube if anyone is interested in learning what these doctors have to say. Anyway, I turned 50 a couple weeks ago and I can honestly say I have never felt better in my life.

So if anyone knows of/uses good vegan recipes, please let me know:)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:54 am

That is awesome MIssManda!

My cholesterol just tested high. Dr wanted to put me on meds to lower and I refused. I want to try diet first. Our bodies react differently on certain diets. I low carb, or atleast lower carb. I am not fanatic about it. (Some people stay under 20 carbs a day). I don't, I try for 50. I have heard people on low carb get real good results on cholestoral, even though they eat bacon and such....well, I guess my body doesn't like it much. I am going to start watching fried foods and processed meats and see if that helps.

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:47 am

I'm with you on the medication route. I think meds are fine when necessary, but when my doctor tried to put me on them I was just like you. I wanted to try diet and exercise first. I tried various things and just when I thought I was going to have to resort to drugs, I found my way.

I wish you the best on finding the way that works best for you. I know it is frustrating at first! Hang in there Dissie, and you'll get it :D

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:42 am

MissManda,

Awesome thing, My job has a thing called a biometric test.

It's 5 things....they give you a credit of 10$ per test you pass on your insurance, which for me is $50 bucks per month without taking this test. So basically, our insurance could be free. But mine is going to cost me $10 a month now. My test results are back and am only going to have to pat 10$ a month for my insurance! I passed all 4 but the tobacco use. If I didnt smoke, my insurance would be free!

I passed on cholestorol
Waist circumfrance based on height
blood pressure
blood sugar
failed on tobacoo use

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 am

I know smoking is BAD....you dont have to beat up on me...I know I need to fix that..... :D :D

missmanda

Post by missmanda » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 am

Hey you did great! And don't worry too much about smoking. When your time is right, you'll stop. My husband said that to me for years, and he was right. I thought there was no way I could do it, but next week it'll be 4 years for me and I don't miss it at all.

Just remember, nobody can do everything at once. Be proud of what you've done so far :D