No Carb Meals, Twice Per Week, Weight Loss

Denise

Re: No Carb Meals, Twice Per Week, Weight Loss

Post by Denise » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:21 pm

Hmm, just saw this - I think that a lot of the problem with low carb is that folks replace carbs with fat. Cheese, eggs, butter - big no. I have seen folks make a big burger patty with regular ground beef and then top it with a wad of cheese. Almost a day's worth of recommended fats.

For me, a low carb meal would be a lean meat and several sides of veggies or salad. You can't avoid carbs altogether unless you want to starve to death. Tonight is our low carb night. We're having dry rubbed and grilled pork tenderloin - very lean protein - side of sauteed mushrooms, mostly done with pan spray - and a huge salad with greens, cucumber, red onion and tomato, very small amount of shaved parm. I think the key thing here is none of the bad guys on low carb nights - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread - and don't go crazy with the meats or how you prepare everything or it probably isn't going to work.

Michelle_Minicucci

Post by Michelle_Minicucci » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Denise wrote:Hmm, just saw this - I think that a lot of the problem with low carb is that folks replace carbs with fat. Cheese, eggs, butter - big no. I have seen folks make a big burger patty with regular ground beef and then top it with a wad of cheese. Almost a day's worth of recommended fats.

For me, a low carb meal would be a lean meat and several sides of veggies or salad. You can't avoid carbs altogether unless you want to starve to death. Tonight is our low carb night. We're having dry rubbed and grilled pork tenderloin - very lean protein - side of sauteed mushrooms, mostly done with pan spray - and a huge salad with greens, cucumber, red onion and tomato, very small amount of shaved parm. I think the key thing here is none of the bad guys on low carb nights - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread - and don't go crazy with the meats or how you prepare everything or it probably isn't going to work.
Denise, you are so right! It kills me when people suggest cold cuts or pepperonis and a chunk of cheese for meals (my mom loves junk food). I'm with you! Give me a lean meat and a couple handfuls of dark greens any day!

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Over doing the fats is a major factor in the low carb diet. But also, you need fats to make the diet work. If you eat too little calories, your body thinks you are starving to death and slows down the metabolism. Just what you don't want.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:24 pm

That diet or the premise for the diet does work, but you do have to watch - because we aren't actually aware of what does and what doesn't have carbs and fats.

I guess I just try to use a healthier brand of breads or pasta. Use it less - an open face sandwich or less pasta and more veggies or use a pita vs a thick pizza crust and load it up with veggies for a pizza.

I'll stay away from bread for breakfast, and have cottage cheese or fruit, or rather than adding a rice to dinner I will add another veggie.

I know this may not be correct, but it works. I remember a few weeks ago I made a chicken stir fry, but no rice. The veggies were enough. I made a fruit salad and I was fine ... But overall, cottage cheese, celery and carrots with some spinach dip for lunch and then the stir fry. I felt pretty good.
So, it probably had carbs, but I felt pretty good. I had eliminated any of the most common carbs such as potatoes, pasta, rice, etc.

I'm going to try to get back to that as I need to loose a few, but I have such a hard time with NO carbs.

Denise

Post by Denise » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:39 am

Dissie wrote:Over doing the fats is a major factor in the low carb diet. But also, you need fats to make the diet work. If you eat too little calories, your body thinks you are starving to death and slows down the metabolism. Just what you don't want.
Sure, you need some fat! I just think that some folks go a bit overboard to make up for the carbs, to fill up. You have to have something satisfying in some way. It wouldn't work for me if I wasn't satisfied. And there again, we're talking two nights per week, I think if you just cut out those white starches and bread, it would work. I had a lot of fattening stuff yesterday, so tonight we'll do our low carb meal. And there again, LOW - even salad has some carbs. I can't think of a single food that has no carbs that is good for you, like vegetables. If it grows in the ground, I think it's good for you :lol:

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 am

I cooked for Dd over a year on a no carb diet recommended by a dietitian she was seeing weekly. There was no butter, cheese or any white ingredient. No beef only fish & chicken. A lot of salads but eggs were allowed.

I have come to post here because on the News last night. They had a segment on dieting. They stated that if you use "red dinner plates" that your consumption of food will drop by 40%. The reason being is that the colour "red" is a warning sign & also the colour of a stop light. Personally I find this hard to believe but they said that there is documentation that proves it to be true.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:20 am

Maybe that is my problem, 3 of my plates are green and white ... GO!!

Laury

Post by Laury » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Our plates are usually paper and white. I wonder if that causes us to eat more.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:44 pm

Very interesting about the color of plates! I know they make those red disposable plates and bowls. I am going to get some tonight at walmart and will let you know if it helps! But then again, maybe it only works when you don't know the psychology behind it! :? :lol:

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:39 am

Dissie lol. My plates are all white with some design on them. I do not own a red plate. I really do find this hard to believe?

This topic of red plates reminds me of the discussions we have had about the toilet paper roll.