No Carb Meals, Twice Per Week, Weight Loss

Denise

No Carb Meals, Twice Per Week, Weight Loss

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I believe there is probably something to this. I have tried low carb before, I don't feel that it is the type lifestyle to keep weight off, as you tend to binge. We do usually do one night no carbs, sometimes two. I know it definitely helps jump start the weight loss process.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45587821/ns/health/

Dissie

Re: No Carb Meals, Twice Per Week, Weight Loss

Post by Dissie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 pm

This is great news for someone like me who can't stick to that low carb diet thing longer than a month. I have done it several times and fall off the no potato, no bread wagon everytime! I could actually do this! :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I did this a few years ago, just because I wanted to loose weight. I lost 20 lbs. Now, I was a bit younger, but my goal wasn't mostly weight loss, but health. I was surprised how much I lost.

I didn't give up anything. NO way can I give up carbs. That just ain't gonna happen. But, I did cut back.

Rather than a sammy for lunch, I had crackers with tuna, or soup which was normal. But even for breakfast, I used to have yogurt or fruit. I started eating a half of english muffin with poached egg. NO cheese or sauce. but it was satisfying and filling. If I had lunch, especially out - I had 1 slice of bread of roll. Dinner, I still had baked spuds, but I had a smaller one. I still had pasta, but smaller amounts and more veggies.

And 1 night I always had soup or sammy (again, if sandwich, open face) or a salad in place.

And another night, just a salad, butr you could add a few pita chips for the carbs. Or make a salad with chick peas or cannellini beans. It is hearty and filling, but NOT just bread. Still carbs, but a bit healthier.

Or try a hummus spread, or veggie pizza. with a hummus base, veggies and feta. Yes, still carbs, but, weight all the nutrients and you will be surprised how good it is for you.

Soups to me is the way to go. And I ate all kinds. Yes even with noodles and rice. But the amount in 1 large bowl is NOT bad. But just learn to balance it out.

Grilled pork, roasted squash, a healthy creamed cauliflower like spuds and a salad. That is a lot of food. Even make a gravy with broth and the dripping and a little butter. Just go easy. NO carbs.

Try A VEGGIE soup, garnish with a few grilled pita wedges for something light but still pretty healthy. Then add a salad and top it with shrimp, chicken or beef. It can be very filling but still satisfying.

Have a open faced grilled portabello sandwich with cheese and tons of veggies. Put it on a pita and a side of grilled fresh fruit.

NO CARBS and still good for dinner.

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:03 pm

I love my carbs, let me tell ya :lol: No way could I stick with no carb diet. I'm more of a grazer though. I couldn't eat a whole sandwich for lunch, I'd be too full. I do eat soup and then a few hours later I'll have a fruit bar or something very light, maybe a cracker snack a few hours later. I eat something small about every 4 hours.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:17 pm

I agree! I think low carb really really works but oh it is a really hard thing to stay on. For me living with limited fruit, bread, and rice is torture. I always lose weight if I cut out carbs, but I get in trouble when I start adding them back.

I really like the idea of no carbing it a couple of days - that is very do-able.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 am

The only thing I don't care for about the article is it never states how many carbs per day you are allowed on the low carb days. Most foods have carbs. Are we trying to stay under 15? Or 50? That makes a huge difference.

Kim stated to eat pitas. Well a pita is 50 carbs, soups have lots of carbs especially if tomatoes are involved! The article would be very helpful if it gave you an amount to stay under. ;)

Don't get me wrong Denise, I love the idea of this, just wish it gave more information for the dieter!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:43 pm

I agree Dis, and I have seen articles with good and bad carbs. And do they consider a bowl of white pasta the same as a tomato. That is hard to say how that is considered the same. Or a couple of small slices of pita the same as a slice of french bread

And fruit ... My doctor always said NO matter what, fruit is important. But 1 piece of fruit. And if you have high cholesterole, meats and eggs are not the best veggies are, but some veggies have starch.

Any friends who did the whole NO carbs diet always gained it back. But they all said, they tried to just cut back. They tried 1 ore 2 days a week with either low or NO carbs. They may have an open face sammy or soup with pita, but that was all the carbs. But ... then if tomatoes have carbs - 1/2 pita with a bowl of tomato soup is carbs, but I can have a while steak and green beans.

Again, I think it is just moderation. My friends all said, they just learned to moderate the KNOWN carbs and tried to skip them, but at the same times, carrots are high in carbs, but so beneficial in so many other ways. They always tried to add a lot of the good carbs along with just a little of the bad cards.

But yes, I would be nice to really identify all that are good and bad and the amounts so you could justify how much should or should not be eaten.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Yes Kim, cuz even one cup of coffee is one carb! So it does make a difference when you are watching them!

When I low carbed, I ate lots of green veggies, not so many colorful ones, meats and cheese and eggs. I tried to stay under 20. It is more monotonous than you getting hungry! I avoided all pasta and potatoes, sugar, bread and fruit. Except lemons, they are low in carbs! But some people said lemons caused them to stall, so they avoided them, they were fine for me.

Michelle_Minicucci

Post by Michelle_Minicucci » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:03 pm

I'm glad you all are talking about this. I love being low carb, and I feel so much better. Believe it or not, my acid reflux totally disappears. I don't miss out on the starches like bread and potatoes, but I REALLY miss beans and peas. I would love to be a vegetarian if I could!

Anyhow, I count my carbs on a program called Diet Power. I think Self magazine has a similar calorie counting tool, but I like Diet Power much better. Don't forget about "net carbs" (carbs -fiber). I take a whole tablespoon of psyllium husk every day, and it doesn't mess up my ketosis.

One thing I agree with you all on is the cholesterol! I hear over and over that the food you eat doesn't contribute to your cholesterol count as much as we think. I wish I knew more. My brother lost 60 pounds by going low carb, and he eats at least one egg every day. His cholesterol count is only 146.

Michelle_Minicucci

Post by Michelle_Minicucci » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:04 pm

I just remembered something else! Best low carb recipe ever: Cobb Salad