Diet Plans - which one are you doing?

HeatherFeather

Diet Plans - which one are you doing?

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Is anyone following any specific diet plan? I have tried a few different things, but nothing has really won me over fully.

I found a great deal on Nutrisystem food at Big Lots, so I am going to try out their plan for a couple of weeks and see if I like the food. I did try them out a few years ago once - but the cost deterred me from making more purchases. I felt like the plan worked, but I didn't like all of the food, only some of it. The stuff I bought and tried so far has been pretty good and boy was it dirt cheap!

I am not going to strictly follow their system though - I have a kid to feed and I want to cook meals for both of us on the nights she is with me. So I am planning to use the NS foods for my breakfasts, lunches, and snacks and then for dinner I will make recipes from Cooking Light or something when I am eating at home with my daughter. I will eat the NS dinners on the nights I don't have her home with me. The plan also allows for weekends off, so that works out well for me - I almost always have to eat out 1 night per week.

I am also thinking about getting a subscription to Cooking Light again. I already have a sub to Eating Well, which is good too. For some reason, the Cooking Light recipes appeal to me more.

Denise

Re: Diet Plans - which one are you doing?

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:04 am

I guess the closest thing to what we follow is Weight Watchers. I don't like to think of it as a diet, as I've been doing this since I was 27. It's definitely a lifestyle and I guess we'll always be doing it. I like that I can eat whatever I want, within reason. And we take Sundays off, if I want it during the week, I either figure out a way to make it healthier or save it until Sunday :lol:

Bottom line - lean meats. We don't do things like chicken legs or fatty meats like chuck roast. Veggies, salads. We do carbs, but we use reduced fat products to keep them healthy. I often call it a low fat diet, but I've stopped doing that with the hysteria that ensues as most people think a low fat diet involves eating fat free cream and fat free cookies. And some may do that? But it ain't gonna work :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:11 am

Denise wrote:I guess the closest thing to what we follow is Weight Watchers. I don't like to think of it as a diet, as I've been doing this since I was 27. It's definitely a lifestyle and I guess we'll always be doing it. I like that I can eat whatever I want, within reason. And we take Sundays off, if I want it during the week, I either figure out a way to make it healthier or save it until Sunday :lol:

Bottom line - lean meats. We don't do things like chicken legs or fatty meats like chuck roast. Veggies, salads. We do carbs, but we use reduced fat products to keep them healthy. I often call it a low fat diet, but I've stopped doing that with the hysteria that ensues as most people think a low fat diet involves eating fat free cream and fat free cookies. And some may do that? But it ain't gonna work :lol:
I have always been good about eating lean meats. I was never all that fond of chicken skin or meat fat in the first place, so for me I always gravitated towards the leaner cuts even when I didn't care. I am going to start cutting back on some of the other fats I got used to eating again - I won't be replacing them with lowfat versions in most cases, but rather reduce them down by a lot.

I love your idea of anything goes on Sunday! That is what I liked about the Nutrisystem model - those weekends off give me a chance to eat out at a restaurant or go to a holiday meal and not feel like I defeated my diet plans.

I am also planning to go through some old weight watchers recipes I have and try some of those out. If you have any favorites to recommend that are for 2 servings, that would be great. My sister uses their online website and has been very happy with them. She lost all of her baby weight gain and is back to normal.

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

I do use reduced fat dairy, but I don't mind that. I bought some full fat sour cream awhile back and actually didn't care for it, too rich! :lol: We use 1% milk, but I only use it for cooking. We actually just don't eat a lot of cheese, period. Or butter, for that matter. I use Smart Balance for cooking, that's the only thing I use it for. Other than that, olive oil. And not 1/4 cup either. You can saute something in a tablespoon of oil. I do use full fat half and half in my coffee and that is NOT ever going to change, LOL. For us, we use a lot of garlic, wine and herbs to add flavor instead of fats.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:29 pm

Denise wrote:I do use reduced fat dairy, but I don't mind that. I bought some full fat sour cream awhile back and actually didn't care for it, too rich! :lol: We use 1% milk, but I only use it for cooking. We actually just don't eat a lot of cheese, period. Or butter, for that matter. I use Smart Balance for cooking, that's the only thing I use it for. Other than that, olive oil. And not 1/4 cup either. You can saute something in a tablespoon of oil. I do use full fat half and half in my coffee and that is NOT ever going to change, LOL. For us, we use a lot of garlic, wine and herbs to add flavor instead of fats.
Denise, do you take supplements for calcium? You said you don't drink milk, or eats lots of cheese. Where you getting your calcium?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 pm

I don't diet. I hate diets

But ... I try to eat healthy. Yes, I eat carbs. Yes I eat HIGH FAT meats. Yes, I eat full dairy products. Now and then I don't mind a reduced fat ... but ever look what is in the LOW or NO FAT. NO Thanks, I'll take my chances with the real stuff. FAKE food doesn't fall into everything I ever want to eat. All the chemicals and preservatives are worse for you than the real stuff.

The KEY is moderation and exercise and being active. Simple 1, 2 and 3.

- Eat healthy and REAL food. We all eat junk food now and then, that is fine, but eat healthy and fresh good food. NO processed stuff. And again, now and then is fine, but TRY to EAT fresh

- Second, moderation. Eat more veggies and fruits and pasta or carbs

- Third, Keep active, walk, exercise. DON''T sit around, do something. And mostly, do some kind of exercise. I don't care what, but something.

Frozen pizzas (yes, I do now and then), fast food too. But ... stay away from processed foods. Packages seasoning and sauces. Slow cooked meals and crock pots usually involve soups or cheeses. NOT good, full of fat. You are better off having a greasy piece of fried chicken than that. Grill, Broil, and NO frying. Cheese, butter and eggs are OK ... but in moderation. Cut those baked spuds in half and put a little sour cream, no butter, salt and pepper and have that. You may like it just as much and you will be just as filled with half the spud and save tons of calories.

Try sauteing your fish in a little olive oil vs butter with breading. A few herbs and lemon and you have a great healthy dish.

Use rice flour and club soda to make a version of fried fish with way less calories and just pan sear in olive oil vs deep fry.

Make a mushroom sauce with rich red wine, beef broth and onionsa over pasta. Use the NO egg noodle for a rich hearty dish. Still carbs. But ... way healthier and go heavy on the sauce, light on the pasta. Serve a full salad on the side with a vinaigrette vs a creamy dressing and finish with grilled fruit for dessert, and make sure to use caramel and whipped topping. Again, a little goes a long ways, a moderation.

I love my wine, a cold beer or a glass or bourbon now and then, but sorry. I won't give that up. But again. Moderation. And NO light beer for me, but try a night of just appetizers and soups and salads. Then enjoy that bottle of wine.

Enjoy all those sweets and carbs and decadent NO NO's. But offset them with more veggies and healthier versions.

And ... Turkey and Chicken do make a nice sub for beef.

So that is my plan. NO diet, NO NO fat or LOW fat. Now and then, I may do a low fat cheese or sour cream, but basically NO. Just eat healthy, smart, balance, moderation and exercise. That is the key. Lots of fresh produce, NO packaged ingredients, boxed food and eat smart.

elsie

Post by elsie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I am on the same page as you Kchurchhill 5! I love good food. Everything in moderation. Sometime we pig out too much, but I don't beat myself up....much. :D I just walk a little longer the next few days. No light beer here neither. No flavor in that stuff. I don't drink soda of any kind or eat fast food. I make my own fast food and put it in the freezer.

MaMere

Post by MaMere » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:37 pm

I learned a long long time ago, to not call it a "diet". For me, its a modified way of eatting, for life.
Do I splurge every so often, you bet! If I didn't I would go WAY overboard one day, and thats not gonna happen. Especially around the HOlidays. If I know there will be goodies, OR, I want a scone, or croissant, piece of candy, a cookie..then I make up the difference with exercise.
Everything in moderation, and that makes me a happy girl :)

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:00 pm

Dissie wrote:
Denise wrote:I do use reduced fat dairy, but I don't mind that. I bought some full fat sour cream awhile back and actually didn't care for it, too rich! :lol: We use 1% milk, but I only use it for cooking. We actually just don't eat a lot of cheese, period. Or butter, for that matter. I use Smart Balance for cooking, that's the only thing I use it for. Other than that, olive oil. And not 1/4 cup either. You can saute something in a tablespoon of oil. I do use full fat half and half in my coffee and that is NOT ever going to change, LOL. For us, we use a lot of garlic, wine and herbs to add flavor instead of fats.
Denise, do you take supplements for calcium? You said you don't drink milk, or eats lots of cheese. Where you getting your calcium?
I use full fat half & half in my coffee :lol: And that is why I use low fat sour cream and what have you. You know, you have to pick your poison. I actually weigh about 10 pounds less than I'm "supposed" to weigh, but I like to keep my weight low due to back problems. I gain 2 pounds and I can feel it. So I do watch what I eat fairly carefully. And I cheat sometimes, had pizza last night. But I'll have lean pork tenderloin tonight to make up for it. That is the key, if you eat something not that great for you, make up for it the next day or so and you'll be fine.

Denise

Post by Denise » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:01 pm

MaMere wrote:I learned a long long time ago, to not call it a "diet". For me, its a modified way of eatting, for life.
Do I splurge every so often, you bet! If I didn't I would go WAY overboard one day, and thats not gonna happen. Especially around the HOlidays. If I know there will be goodies, OR, I want a scone, or croissant, piece of candy, a cookie..then I make up the difference with exercise.
Everything in moderation, and that makes me a happy girl :)
Yep, I've been doing this for over 20 years and I'm still the same size I was in junior high. It's just lifestyle.