Diet Plans - which one are you doing?

Kchurchill5

Re: Diet Plans - which one are you doing?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:26 pm

I have to admit I am over weight, according to me right now, by 10 lbs, but, I had 2 bad car accidents, back issues, moved 3 times and 4 deaths in the family (mom and dad included) and had to deal with estate issues, divorced, a single mom of a 18 year old, money issues, etc.

Do you think exercise worked in to that schedule ... NO. I was already working 50 hrs. I have come back and lost 10, I have 10 to go. I was eating healthy, but at wrong hours with NO exercise which is what caused my gain. I'm now much healthier and almost at my goal of 115-120 which is good for me. I'm short.

So things happen and we just have to work around it as best we can.

Denise

Post by Denise » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:26 am

Boy, do I feel the stress factor as well! I have a list a half mile long. And let's face it - it's harder to maintain weight when you're of a certain age :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 am

Denise wrote:Boy, do I feel the stress factor as well! I have a list a half mile long. And let's face it - it's harder to maintain weight when you're of a certain age :lol:
Absolutely, I used to eat anything ... whenever ... and it never mattered. NOT any more. I just have to watch. Exercise is key to me

I'm not giving up on some of my faves. I like my wine and beer; I love food, so ... it is just about moderation and getting up and doing things.

Park a ways away when you go to the store. Don't spend 10 minutes driving around to find a spot in the front. Take the stairs and not the elevator. Take 10 minutes to do simple leg lifts or arm lifts with weights. A little each day, or a couple of times of day can make a big difference if you don't have time to hit the gym or a full workout. If it is nice outside, go for a walk. I still do my own yard work, even though the association takes care of the lawn, I do the rest. I'm on my treadmill every other day, but I also ride my bike on the days off.

So for me ... just try to eat healthy and exercise.

Denise

Post by Denise » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 am

I'm not giving up my wine or beer either :lol: Actually, I have found that if I make myself a nice, healthy dinner and have my glass of wine, it actually is very nice. You enjoy the healthy meal, more like dining out at a nice restaurant, you know?

And I HATE when people stalk for parking spots! Park at the end and WALK like the rest of us :lol: It really drives me crazy. And we're not talking disabled or anything like that - I'm talking perfectly able bodied people that just sit there for 10 minutes and block traffic to boot. People are really lazy. Pile that cart full and push it as fast as you can across the whole parking lot, that'll get your blood pumping! :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 am

I do take a calcium supplement 2x a week, I do not drink milk, but I do eat cheese and consume other dairy items. I just like to drink milk, but I do cook with it.

I take vitamin C 3x a week, a multi vitamini (those gummy ones) every day, echinacea (sp?), sorry 1x a week, more when I am around sick people. And vitamin E 2x a week. Now, I may forget one now and then, but that is what I try for.

Since I don't drink milk, I do make sure to take extra calcium. E I have always taken, my doc told me a long time ago to take 1-2 per week and the C and Echin ... is more during the year when I am more prone to getting sick, winter, or when I am working more and have more stress.

But I think it is important to supplement.

Denise

Post by Denise » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:19 am

I just take my Gummies :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:14 pm

An update on my Nutrisystem diet:

I started the plan last Wednesday. I am not really sold on it. I was really excited the first few days as the food at that point was tasty and I love their website meal planner (very easy to use). I like their basic concept, but I haven't loved all of the food. I bought all of my food from Big Lots, and they are selling a lot of the discontinued items along with some that will remain, but get updates - so I did expect some items to be less popular in the taste department. All of the breakfast and snack items have been delicious and I would buy them again, but the main dishes are pretty much not to my tastes. The Swedish Meatballs (which is discontinued) were awful - my dog wouldn't even lick the tray more than twice. I have an omnivorous beagle - for her to pass up licking the gravy says a lot.

I also dislike their dehydrated pasta cups (lunch items) - the taste isn't awful, but they don't cook properly. Very soupy and unappetizing looking. I loved their cheese mashed potatoes lunch though, and the soups have been ok. I am really glad I paid between $1-3 each for these things - I'd have been upset if they were the normal prices (double those numbers basically).

I still plan to keep trying to diet a bit, and I will use up my food, but I am at this point not really sure I would want to keep going on this plan. It really depends on the flavor of the rest of the food. Their bars are so good, I could happily keep buying them on a regular basis, but I obviously can't exist on protein bars alone.

Denise

Post by Denise » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 am

Oh, it's packaged food??? That would be a "no" for me. What is their selling point? I think I would rather duplicate it myself, you know?

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 am

Denise wrote:Oh, it's packaged food??? That would be a "no" for me. What is their selling point? I think I would rather duplicate it myself, you know?
Well their plan is part packaged food, part food you add yourself. I had seen it advertised a lot and when I saw it for sale locally at a huge discount (because they are redesigning their packaging as well as coming out with new items), I decided to try it. The food items were all only between $1-3 each when normally the kits are anywhere from $150-300 depending on what you get.

For each meal you eat one of their items labeled for that meal and then the website planner tells you what other items you need to prepare on your own to round out the meal. Their system for my plan is basically:

Breakfast: 1 of their food items labeled for breakfast (usually a muffin or bar or cereal type thing), plus 1 serving of fruit and 1 serving of a dairy or protein item (the website has a list of the serving sizes and types of food you can choose, it is very extensive - a positive thing)

Lunch: 1 of their lunch items (usually a soup or starchy side dish type thing like pasta) plus 2 servings of veggies and a serving of either dairy or protein of my chooice

Snack #1: a fruit or veggie plus another dairy or protein serving

Dinner
: 1 of their lunch items (a tv dinner main dish type thing), 2 veggies, 1 fruit (or another veggie), 1 fat serving

Snack #2: 1 of their snack or dessert items (popcorn, a bar, cookies etc - everything was delicious in this category)

They also have a list of veggies and beverages you are allowed to eat any time that don't count towards your daily calorie count - things like lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, tea, coffee, etc. They also let you choose 3 items a day that are less than 20 calories,bonus things you can choose to eat, things like sugar free candy or something. I didn't bother with any of this.

The plan is based around approx 1200 for a healthy adult woman (the plans are different based on your age, health, sex). They also want you to drink 8 glass of water a day and exercise 5x a week. I did do this.

The plan itself seems sound and healthy, but I don't like the main dishes for dinner at all and I also didn't like most of the lunch items. Breakfast and the Snack/Dessert line was all good. Eating their food items is convenient especially if you need to eat at work or on the go, but I just don't enjoy them. They also seem very salty, which I don't care for.

If I can return some of the uneaten items I will, although not everything will go back to the store. I will buy more of the bars and muffins and they were very good and handy. I will possibly try their plan out using my own homemade foods instead of the meal items I didn't care for.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 am

Update: I was able to return all of the unopened food I didn't like back to Big Lots. What a huge relief! So now I am just back to watching what I eat, using the NS as a model, but making all of my own food instead.