Streaming - grr arggh!

HeatherFeather

Streaming - grr arggh!

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:04 pm

I have noticed a new trend with streaming movie/tv services. One service gets the rights to air part of a series, but not all of it. If you want to watch the rest, you need to subscribe to yet another streaming service. :evil:

I have just run into that with two different shows, which I find quite frustrating. I really want to watch the entire series, but I can't really afford to subscribe to every service out there. Sheesh.

I love being able to stream tv shows and movies, but I really hope this trend doesn't continue.

Derf

Re: Streaming - grr arggh!

Post by Derf » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:11 am

I am really dumb about all this stuff, I don't even know what "streaming" means, have heard the term but have no idea what they are talking about :oops:

so my questions is "What is streaming" :?:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:13 am

Derf wrote:I am really dumb about all this stuff, I don't even know what "streaming" means, have heard the term but have no idea what they are talking about :oops:

so my questions is "What is streaming" :?:
Streaming services (like Netflix or Amazon Prime or Hulu, etc, there are several) are subscription services for watching movies/tv shows on your tv or computer. I think I pay around $10/month (I have Netflix).

The service has thousands of movies and tv shows to choose from (including many cancelled shows and older seasons, nearly every episode). You search for whatever you want, and then if they have it, you can watch it right that second. Imagine if you could have paid a video rental store one fee good for the whole month that let you watch every single movie they had in their store whenever you want, as many times as you want, all month. Only you don't have to go anywhere to pick up movies, you do it all from your remote control on your couch (or your computer).

They don't have every single movie/tv show ever made, but they have lots and lots, enough to make me happy to pay the fairly low monthly fee. I love the whole concept, although it is frustrating when the service you subscribe to only has seasons 2-4 and another company has the rights to season 1. That isn't the case with all shows, and I think it is the company selling the rights to their show that is in control of it, not the individual streaming providers.

You have to have equipment that will let you get streaming on your tv (computers usually already do), although many newer video game systems and blue ray players already come with it built in. You can buy a "roku" or other similar device that will let you get streaming as well. I use our PS3 and our computers to access Netflix.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:08 pm

I'm a BIG fan of horror movies. So, tonight I have re-watched Wes Craven's "Hell Raiser, Hell on Earth". Craven is a producer that I really get into. He does really good work without it being crass. It's still only 11pm, so I might still watch another DVD.

I have never really grasped the "streaming" thing either.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:12 am

thanks for the info Heather :D , so it's kinda like having the movie channels. but wonder why they call it streaming, anyway now i know, thanks :!:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:34 am

Derf wrote:thanks for the info Heather :D , so it's kinda like having the movie channels. but wonder why they call it streaming, anyway now i know, thanks :!:
Yes, in a way, only you get to choose the time to watch your movies. Also, the streaming services have way, way more movies available (truly thousands). One thing cable move channels have over streaming is more new releases sooner. The streaming places do get some new releases as well, but cable providers often will get them much sooner.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:51 am

Streaming is like on utube. You know how you can start to watch the video before its totally downloaded to your computer? Well that is streaming. It means, it starts to play before the entire thing has been downloaded.

Derf

Post by Derf » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks Dissie :!: that clears it up in this old head :lol: :lol: :lol: so it's "streaming" into the computer while you're watching it, we were looking at getting netfick and just do not always understand all the jargon :roll:

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks, HF and Dissie, that kinda clears up my misunderstanding of "streaming". Of course I live in a very remote area, and do not have high speed internet. It's just not available here due to both remoteness and terrain issues...maybe someday :!:

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Derf we sure love our Netflix. So many old shows to re-watch, some just a few months old (Series you may have missed), British series and movies. Just lots to watch!