Looking for some good mystery/thriller shows/films

HeatherFeather

Looking for some good mystery/thriller shows/films

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:54 pm

I have already watched an enjoyed all of Prime Suspect and The Killing. I have seen much of the Law & Order series (and the spin offs). I am not fond of CSI or NCIS. I loved Wire in the Blood as well.

Looking for some recommendations for some smart, well scripted thrillers or mystery type dramas (or movies). Any suggestions?

Dissie

Re: Looking for some good mystery/thriller shows/films

Post by Dissie » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:02 pm

I like Dexter, this is the last season. It is so well written and makes you root for a serial killer. Can't really explain it more than that. New season and last season starts tonight! Happy and sad at the same time. I always looked forward to it. It's on showtime. But you can buy the seasons on DVD. It's an excellent series!

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Dissie wrote:I like Dexter, this is the last season. It is so well written and makes you root for a serial killer. Can't really explain it more than that. New season and last season starts tonight! Happy and sad at the same time. I always looked forward to it. It's on showtime. But you can buy the seasons on DVD. It's an excellent series!
My BF really enjoys that show. I have caught part of the last couple of seasons and it is not bad. I think he enjoys it more than I do (probably because he has seen the entire series from season 1 onward). I don't want to ruin anything for anyone who hasn't seen it, but I did like the story line from a recent season that had Edward James Olmos as one of the villians. I started watching sometime towards the end of that season. I haven't cared for the most recent episodes, however - I can tell they are ready to finish up the series. It feels like they are tying up the loose ends.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:32 am

Watched the first episode of a new (to me anyway) show airing on BBC America, "Broadchurch." It was pretty good. I will watch again next week to see what happens next.

It airs on Wed nights in the US at 10 EST.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 pm

I will look for it.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:41 am

I checked to see if there was a way to catch up if you missed an episode, and the BBC America site has a link up for limited time to see the epsiode:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/broadchurch/v ... e-episode/

I thought the actress playing one of the main detectives was very strong and the lead actor is a former Dr Who Doctor (very good as well).

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Netflix has the episodes.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:40 am

Dissie wrote:Netflix has the episodes.
I wasn't able to find them on Netflix. I'd so much rather view them that way - I hate having to be tied to the tv schedule (we no longer have DVR service here).

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 pm

weird because I went to netflix and it asked if I wanted to add them to my queue. Hmmmm

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:54 am

Enjoyed the second episode of Broadchurch - looks like it will be a pretty good show.

I also just watched a series called "Vera" (another British mystery show) - very very good! Netflix only has the first season, which is 4 long episodes. My dad had recommended it, so I gave it a try and it was well done. I thought the lead actress and the actress who played one of her assistants (the character of Holly) were really good in their roles. The stories were based on books by Ann Cleeves - I'll have to look up that author.

Oddly, the second season of Vera (another 4 episodes) is on Amazon Prime instead of Netflix. Seems to be a trend to put part of a show on one streaming network, and another part gets put on a different network. I suppose it doesn't matter for the folks who have multiple streaming sites, but so far we only have Netflix.

Looks like the show is still airing, as they are in season 3 currently. Hope it continues to be a good show. I liked it as much as Prime Suspect, which in some ways was quite similar.