Les Miserables

Sue

Les Miserables

Post by Sue » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

We watched Les Miserables last night on Amazon.
It has Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway and Amanda Seyfried in it. It also has Sacha Baron Cohen in it and I am glad I didn't know that beforehand or I would not have watched. He was ok though.
I enjoyed the movie/musical more than I thought I would.
I recommend it.

Dissie

Re: Les Miserables

Post by Dissie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Sue, my daughter keeps telling me we have to see it! We both enjoy musicals, so now that you have said that, I am getting it this weekend.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I have not seen Les Miserable, nor will I even attempt to do so until it comes out on DVD. From what I have read, I may not even see it then. This movie has for the most part gotten "miserable" reviews. I have read the book twice, and loved it. But, from what I have read it's just not a must see at the box office....a musical made into a movie is quite a thing of the past, or at least it seems so from many reviews. If I want to see a musical, I'll go to Broadway. In all honesty, I just do not care for musicals made into movies. Barbra Streisand probably made the last one that was decent, and my gosh, that was the 70s :P

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am

Are we talking about the same movie? This one is out on dvd and blu-ray.
As per reviews, on Amazon:
1229 reviews:
5 star: 797
4 star: 173
3 star: 101
2 star: 60
1 star: 97

It would seem the supporters outnumber the detractors 8:1.
If it was a reviewed recipe I would say it was a success.
I can't really speak for the so-called critics out there, just for myself. I don't usually go for musicals that often, but Anne Hathaway's performance brought a tear to my eye. If that means it's crap. I say more of it please! ;)

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:07 pm

That's amazing, Sue. Wow! I guess I need to take a broader scope regarding the critics read. I certainly didn't intend to berate anyones movie preferences. I guess my own particular dislike for movie musicals led me to what I wanted to hear( :?: ) I just may have to give it a shot when it comes out on DVD.

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Some people probably do dislike it. It's not an opulent kind of performance. They sing while they are acting, and they do it well.
I was just really surprised that the critics would slam it, but they have slammed good things before. They are obviously comparing it to something that it is not, and perhaps something the film didn't try to be. I just took it at its face value, and I think I got what the artists involved wanted to convey.
It is worth the $3-4 to rent to see if you like it. If you don't, that's not much lost.