Does anyone else use streaming media?

Sue

Does anyone else use streaming media?

Post by Sue » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Such as Netflix, Amazon or Hulu?

I use Amazon and Netflix. I was going to drop Netflix, but there seems to be enough different stuff I watch to keep it.

elsie

Re: Does anyone else use streaming media?

Post by elsie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:29 pm

We use Amazon.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:51 am

We use netflix and Hulu. My daughter has netflix and we have hulu, so we use both. Hulu has more of what you may miss from current tv, netflix has older things. We enjoy both. I like it better because ondemand stinks so badly. Yes they have the same as what we can get without paying extra, but they make you watch ads and you also cant fast forward. Irritates me to no end, why watch on demand if you can't fast forward?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:53 am

TO me, on demand means on demand, when I want it and how I want it. Not with you guidelines of how I should want it.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri May 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Once we move, we will very likely reconsider our cable options. We do watch regular cable shows on some channels (any of the ones that show food related programs in particular, some science/nature/animal programming as well). We almost never use most of the other cable channels.

We have Netflix right now and it is good, but could be better. A lot of titles aren't available on streaming, which is frustrating. I have been able to enjoy quite a lot of older films and complete tv shows to make having Netflix worth it for me, however. I have not yet tried Amazon or any of the other similar services.

Maybe I will try Amazon out after I move, depending on the price and what the cable packages are at the time.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:36 am

I signed up for Netflix last fall when I had surgery, and it's been great. Especially since I downloaded the app to my phone a bit ago, which means when I can't sleep I can watch movies in bed without having to worry about the laptop. I've got unlimited data on my phone, so I can watch a movie a couple of times a week without worrying, and there aren't any glitches, although it does take a couple of minutes longer to start on my phone than it does on my laptop. I primarily use it for cheesy horror movies (anything rated two stars or less pretty much automatically makes my queue), and the price is definitely right. I think I've only ever looked for something once that wasn't available for streaming, but then I'm not using it for anything more recent than a couple of years ago.

Best part of it for me is they take Paypal, which is how I get paid for my website work, so it's like a free service to me since I don't consider that "real" money. :D

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Since you mentioned horror films, which I also sometimes enjoy, you might enjoy these two films I recently saw on Netflix: "Pulse" and also "Bestseller." Both are Asian horror films and have a similar dark and creepy style. I am not sure everyone would like them, but I thought they were pretty good. Those are the sort of film I might have never ever heard of if not for streaming. I find little gems like these on Netflix whenever I am either sick in bed or up late at night because I can't sleep and want something that is just fun to watch.

Bestseller took a little while to get going, I actually turned it off at first and went back to it later and watched the rest, after about the first 15 minutes or so, the story started to get more interesting. Pulse was weird but good right from the beginning.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:45 am

I have seen pulse and it was interesting! Also off netflix. Yes you do get lots of things from other countries on netflix, which is great. Love lots of those British shows. They can do so much more on their Reg TV shows than we can here. The whiners would be up in arms! ;)

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:21 am

Dissie wrote:I have seen pulse and it was interesting! Also off netflix. Yes you do get lots of things from other countries on netflix, which is great. Love lots of those British shows. They can do so much more on their Reg TV shows than we can here. The whiners would be up in arms! ;)
I have really been enjoying a lot of the British shows as well. I watched all of Prime Suspect, which had its ups and downs, but was mostly very good. There are a lot of British period dramas that I have in my list to watch, also things I might not have had access to if i didn't have Netflix or something similar.

Had a few duds in a row though too - I watched a few recently that Netflix thought I'd like but I ended up giving a 1 star rating to.