Food Network Star - anyone watching this season?

HeatherFeather

Food Network Star - anyone watching this season?

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am

I have been enjoying this season so far. This season changed the format to three groups of teams with specific types of cooking styles - which I thought was a good move.

I at first found myself most interested in the group mentored by Giada, as she had picked people who all planned to have ethnic/regional cooking shows if they won. Yvan (Venezuelan foods, emphasis on family style foods) and Ippy (Hawaiian foods) remain, and I would likely watch either of their shows. Since I particularly love Hawaiian foods and don't really know that much about the culture, I would really like to see him win. I don't think he's going to win, however, as the producers have come down on him hard from day one about being "too laid back." I honestly never got that sense from him - I always want to see what he will be cooking each week.

I really didn't like Marti at all in the beginning, and then she started to get her act together. They made a big deal about her being great on camera, if they could just get her to edit her talking down from long rambles - she has pulled this off lately. I found her website by chance - she has a lot of good recipes and experience. They made her out to be a real country bumpkin on the show, but she comes across as very professional and polished on her blog. I think they are pushing for her to win, maybe as a fresh face for Southern food.

Justin also seems to be a front runner right now - they keep comparing him to Alton. I don't see that at all, but he is smart and somewhat engaging.

Kchurchill5

Re: Food Network Star - anyone watching this season?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:05 am

I have watched it from the beginning DVR. Not too bad.

Marti isn't too bad and Justin too; but he can come off a bit show off. I don't know how many people can relate.

I really didn't find anyone this I really liked. Ippy, I liked his food, but he is sort of boring. NO spark.

I just don't find anyone really special. The Sandwich King guy won last year I think, I don't like him either.

If I had to vote - Yvan is interesting to me

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:27 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:I have watched it from the beginning DVR. Not too bad.

Marti isn't too bad and Justin too; but he can come off a bit show off. I don't know how many people can relate.

I really didn't find anyone this I really liked. Ippy, I liked his food, but he is sort of boring. NO spark.

I just don't find anyone really special. The Sandwich King guy won last year I think, I don't like him either.

If I had to vote - Yvan is interesting to me
I think Justin has a lot of star potential - he has from the first episode. He does come across as too showy at times, which might put off some people but also draw others in, He seems to have the sort of brash attitude as a few other of the FN stars. I noticed that he always helps out the other members of his team though - so unlike the catty behavior and backstabbing that went on last season. I found that refreshing and it made me see that he is probably very nice in person.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 am

I do agree with that; he is always asking to help or offer advice, which is a nice change; I really think it is just his personality - and it is NOT meant to be rude.

I think the same; Guy had the same type of attitude and I can see him someone like that; But, I do think he is a NICE guy with very good intentions.

And yes, NO back stabbing this year. Last year is was too much that way.

I do think everyone this year were NICE, SWEET and were there for the right reasons. They all seem to genuinely care about one another which is refreshing.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:03 pm

I was sad to see Ippy go last night, but was fine with seeing the Grill girl go. I think Marti or Justin will be the winner, and I think both of them will get shows regardless.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Yep. Me too. I liked Ippy; but he was boring. The Grill Girl, sorry, not a fan, I could do better,sorry, but she was just NOT good.

Justin, interesting; but I do like Marti in a Melissa DeArabian way. I think she is interesting.

I will be a interesting America chooses finale.