Anyone watch Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen yet?

HeatherFeather

Anyone watch Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen yet?

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:39 am

I just saw two episodes of Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen. I always used to enjoy Paula Deen's earlier shows, before she got a bit too over the top for me. I had been disappointed by her other son Bobby's show - with felt so canned and forced to me. I don't even remember exactly what it was called - not sure it lasted more than a few episodes (Not my Mama's Meals? or something like that).

However, recently Food Network started airing her other son's new cooking show, Home for Dinner - and I really like it! Ordinary family food (and since he has a fairly small family, the meals are nice reasonable amounts for 4) and so far I wanted to make everything. He doesn't come across as forced to me at all, which I really appreciate.

After a whole lot of duds on the FN lately, I really hope this little gem sticks around. I had also been enjoying Trisha Yearwood's cooking show, but they only had about 4 episodes and now nothing - I hope it was a test run and they will pick it up and make more episodes. She also makes food I'd actually want to make and everything seems homemade but simple. Both shows appeal to me for the same reasons, so I hope both will be on a while.

Kchurchill5

Re: Anyone watch Home for Dinner with Jamie Deen yet?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:05 pm

I did watch them, DVR for me. But I liked them. Very approachable and easy to enjoy. Simple but flavorful. I think and hope they will do well.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:40 am

This has just come on the cable here. I also have been recording them. I like that the recipes are easy to make.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:32 am

So far, I have been really happy with each episode. I have saved so many of the recipes to make later. In fact, I am planning to make his tropical fruit salad today if I can get to the store for some fresh mint. He is so very calm and doesn't annoy me at all. I like his family too - the kids are cute and his wife seems so sweet.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:19 pm

He is EASY to watch! Not bad at all. Calm, easy attitude and simple concept. I always DVR it.

Ninner

Post by Ninner » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 pm

LOL, I agree not to bad to look at. I am with you on the recordings. Most of mine are at least 90%. Unless I run into a Sci-Fi movie then I will watch it on time.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:04 pm

I DVR everything and then when I can't sleep I can watch. Or like Criminal Minds and CSI I watched last night at midnight. Saw both in less than 1 hour; fly through all the commercials.

Jamie is cute; not overly interesting; but enjoyable. And for those who don't want too complicated meals, he makes it easy and fun to watch; especially for families as well.

BettyinDenver

Post by BettyinDenver » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Haven't seen that show yet, FN shows have really gone down hill there's some bad shows on that channel and I can't stand Paula Deen :!:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:36 am

BettyBoop wrote:Haven't seen that show yet, FN shows have really gone down hill there's some bad shows on that channel and I can't stand Paula Deen :!:
Most seem to be contests and extreme cooking now, less focus on actual cooking shows. I miss those - I used to get so many great recipes from some of their cancelled shows.

Jamie's show is really good - It feels like a true cooking show, not just flash and shock. So far all of his recipes have been normal food a family would like to eat - normal ingredients, nothing too expensive or fancy, but still good and homemade. He doesn't load on the butter etc like his mother. He also doesn't try to health-ify everything like his brother does. Just normal food. I made his tropical fruit salad last night and it was really great. Goes right in my keeper folder, with the recipes I make over and over.

I DVR a lot of shows too - I never have time to watch them when they are actually on. The only shows I try to watch when they air are live events that I really don't want ruined on me by the news or spoilers online. Even some of those I DVR, but I try to watch the finales live when I can.

racrgal

Post by racrgal » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:45 pm

I haven't seen Jamie's show but all of your comments inspired me to take a look at his recipes. Today I made http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jami ... index.html It is a great change from Run of the Mill pasta salads and I love his technique of adding the veggies to the pasta pot. Less dishes to wash. :D That said, I do have to wonder who tests the recipes before they go on the website. The serving count is WAY off unless you are feeding construction workers or Olympians. Prepared exactly as written except for the dressing, which had to be doubled. Again, who tests those recipes? Less than 1/2 cup of dressing for a pound of pasta and lots of veggies left everything a bit dry.

Thanks to you gals, I'm anxious to see the show and try more of his recipes. 8-)