Anyone want to share their bounty of garden vegetables?

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Dissie

Anyone want to share their bounty of garden vegetables?

Post by Dissie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:56 pm

I have put up less than I normally do. But I did make pickles, put up lots of tomatoes, froze corn in packets and whole for corn on the cob, loads of beans, and made rhubarb jelly. Oh and I made pepper vinegar. Its not ready yet, but its coming along!

Share what you have put up for the long winter!

Kchurchill5

Re: Anyone want to share their bounty of garden vegetables?

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:51 am

FL doesn't exactly have a long winter - they really don't have any kind of winter, :lol: :lol: :lol:. However, my Fall crop ready in Dec'ish I will be putting up like you, pickles and lots of roasted tomatoes for our NON-growing season. I do grow many different peppers throughout the year, and just did a pepper relish recently. I can mix a variety of my peppers in with red or green bells; and, it is always good.

Since we have a Farmers Market 365 days; many of the local farms really have great deals on produce. I do get strawberries during Feb (season); and make freezer jam. And, when corn is in; several bags of corn off the cob. Last season, I did several bags of shredded zucchini I used for soup.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:07 am

Living in a climate that really only has 2 seasons Kim, I can imagine its quite different. I was used to GA. I lived for 22 years, got quite used to it, forgot about how cold MN can be and the severity of the seasons. Sometimes its wonderful, sometimes its not.

I roasted more tomatoes today and put up 4 more quart bags, plus I used a quart bag when making my lazy mans cabbage rolls. OMG they were delicious. I didn't use the condensed soup the recipe calls for, I just roasted the tomatoes, added some seasonings and some corn starch to thicken it up. It was so delicious.

My mom brought me more zucchini, after I had picked 2 from my garden yesterday. SO I shredded the ones my mom brought over, they were bigger and I put in freezer bags for zucchini bread this winter. I cleaned out my fridge today, which is why I made cabbage rolls. I had so much cabbage, still have 2 heads in the fridge. It is a good thing, cabbage lasts forever in the fridge! :) I have taken to using my mandolin and making thin slices of the zucchini, partially breading it and oven frying. DH has decided he loves it. He didn't appreciate the bigger thicker slices. So that is how I am making it now. (by partially breading, I mean a real light breading not using egg). They get crispy with a cracker breading and just water. Then we dip them in a homemade sauce. Been very tasty!

My mom moved, so we are digging up her bulbs and such to store in the basement to replant next year in our yards. She had like 3 acres of a flower garden, so lots to dig up. We are not sure if we should take the hostas this fall or wait until spring, going to do some research, she has enough to surround both our houses and then some! She has like 5 bleeding heart plants. ALl things we need to do research on, should we move in the spring or fall? Anyone know?

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:43 am

I love Bleeding hearts, I have 2 plants; they are gorgeous.

From what I remember, best to do in the Fall. They start to go dormant. I remember us moving plants in the Fall up north. We would move them to containers and keep them in our sunroom until spring.

With so many, I'm not too sure unless you have somewhere to keep them inside because of the weather. If they need to be planted outside right away, it may be too cold. We did that with our larger azaleas. After the chance of a freeze, before they set to bloom.

I do miss the bulbs ... none down here. I loved daffodills, hyacinths, tulips, crocus, etc.

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:31 pm

My vegetable garden was kind of puny this year - too hot, too dry in So Cal. So hit the farmer's market. Put of 3-4 batches of http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/marybe ... kles-12887. Really more than we need, but ran out this year, since last year's cuc crop was also puny. Made apricot jam - used the low sugar pectin from Pomona's for one batch, and a sugar free recipe with pineapple for the other - really happy with both. My green and yellow beans did well - so made some dilly green beans and trial batch of a new recipe - pickled yellow beans with curry-like spicing. Made a couple batches of tomato sauce. Need to plant fall/winter veggies next month - hopefully, we'll get some rain!