Cook one day, Eat for a week

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Shadows1

Cook one day, Eat for a week

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Since we became empty nesters we have still cooked in larger batches. We cook on Sunday and eat for a week.
When we are going to use the oven we see what recipes use the same temp (but does not need to be the same time ) and cook say a chicken and a roast or casserole at the same time.
Same goes for stove top stuff. We then use these things in other recipes ( Shapes knows what I am saying ) or freeze portions for latter use.
This not only saves on cooking but also on your energy bills.
Originaly got the idea from Jeff Smith "The Frugal Gourmet" and have been using it for some tine now.

Kchurchill5

Re: Cook one day, Eat for a week

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Shadows, just me; and yes. I cook a whole tenderloin, 2-3 chicken breasts; or a whole chicken. A whole ham or turkey.

I can't say I cook for the whole week; but, I always put stuff in the freezer; where I could easily eat for a whole week.

It is not only cost effective, but time saving. When I make soup, a big pot. I then, package it up. Tomorrow cooking chicken, 1 for dinner 1 for later in the week. Cook rice or pasta, double it. Cool and freeze. Just a few minutes in the micro and done.

And like you said, find recipes which cook the same. Tons of things you can make ahead.

If I'm on the grill. I often throw on other veggies, spuds, onions; and throw in the fridge. I also usually throw an extra chicken breast on too. Why not? They are great to heat up. Cook once, eat twice or more.

Chef shapeweaver

Post by Chef shapeweaver » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Lee, :-H
It sounds like you've posted some really good
" COMMON SENSE " ideas. :D
I certainly do know the benefits of using
leftovers.(Thank you for mentioning me.)
And as far as re purposing leftovers,
all a person needs it just a little bit of creativity. :D

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am

I find it helpful to plan a menu for a week or two at a time. That way, I can plan creative ways to use leftovers (one could just stick the leftover chicken in a sandwich, but chicken enchiladas use cooked chicken too, and don't feel like "leftovers"). and I make sure I rotate freezer stock consistently. Also helps me have a healthier diet...

Diane

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Diane, nice to meet you!
I'm Kim

I sort of head up the What's For Dinner Thread, or keep it going I guess.

I love to plan too. I cook for 3 ladies during the week on and off; but, also work full time too. Mostly, I have always planned.

Like you, I think it avoids the take out, delivery, or fast food items; and, like Shapeweaver (we call her the Queen of Leftovers) - she also, is a whiz at turning anything into something.

I don't cook for a whole week; but, always have stuff in the freezer to heat up or re-use in another meal.

Even though I plan for 2 weeks out; it often changes - however, I have everything on hand. So, the days may change around; but, the food doesn't.

One it keeps me organized; less last minute grocery store runs; and no binge buying which saves money.

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:58 pm

I find it reduces my stress level too. No question at 6pm about "What's for dinner?" Less of an issue now that the kids are grown, but was definitely as factor with teens at home.

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm

And honestly, half the fun of planning ahead is anticipating what you'll be eating, and how much your friends and family will enjoy it...

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 pm

When my son was home and young, I worked 40+ hrs; and my now ex 50+ hrs. And, my son was involved in soccer traveling all the time. Dinner was crazy; so yep, planning was key.

And, I do agree. Less stress ... At least I had a game plan.

dianegrapegrower

Post by dianegrapegrower » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:22 pm

A happy memory - planing can really pay off - I was working late, and 16-YO DS called me.

"When are you coming home?" - "1/2 hour"
"I'm hungry. The menu says chicken tacos. What can I do to help?" - "prep veggies"

- DH and I walked in together, and DS had the lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and onion ready. All we had to do was cook tortillas and chicken.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Awesome daughter Diane! My kids would have whined, but probably never thought to help. Now my daughter is a good cook, but she rarely takes the initiative to cook on her own for us.