Generics vs Brand Names

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Dissie

Re: Generics vs Brand Names

Post by Dissie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Here it is: From consumers reports

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... op-brands/

Three Walmart products were named in its top five winner’s circle: White Cloud, which is sold only in its stores, placed first, and Walmart’s Great Value Ultra Strong was third. In second place was Quilted Northern Ultra Plush.

The link isn't the entire list I read when the article was first published but consumer reports wants you to sign up and whatever to see it. Didn't want to do all that.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:33 pm

Dissie - I agree! That is the same tp I buy too. I am very picky about tp, and I won't buy anything else unless I am desperate. It is the softest and best priced tp I have tried. It even has a nice look with the rose quilting pattern.

I always try out a generic brand and see if I am happy with it. The ones that taste/look the same as the brand name versions I will absolutely go back to. Some don't measure up, but so many do.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:12 pm

I buy Angel Soft tp. I also only use Dawn dishwashing soap...other that those things, I'm generally open to generics.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:22 pm

I guess I am the same with my dishwashing detergent too. I only buy Gain. It's very reasonably priced and smells great. Works great too. The only scent I don't care for is the lavender. It drove me crazy for the entire month I had it. Honeyberry Hula is my favorite, but right now I have Lemon Zest and it smells darn good too!

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I also buy a generic brand of paper towels....can't recall what it is right now, but I get it from an IGA store. The towels tear off in "halves". I really don't use a lot of paper towels....maybe 4 rolls a year, if that. These towels are as good as any "brand" I have ever used.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 am

I was in Walgreens and noticed that one of the generic TP brands they sell looks identical to the Walmart generic that I like so much. I bought some to test it out and hopefully it will be manufactured by the same company. Walmart is less convenient now that I have moved, so it will be handy if this is the same stuff.

I have also started using Meyer, Seventh Generation, and Watkins for most of my wipes/counter/soaps sprays etc. My BF has incredibly sensitive skin and I also worry about my dog coming into contact with chemicals, so I started trying out some of the less toxic brands. Those are the three I was happy with. Some of them cost more than the regular cleansers, so I have to be patient and wait for sales or coupons to get them. Luckily, it seems they do go on sale often enough so I can stock up when they do. Walgreens has a non toxic window cleaner (I think it is there own brand) that I picked up to try - it didn't cost any more than Windex. Hopefully it will work well.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 pm

As for window cleaning and "Stretching Your Budget", I have no brand as a preference. A vinegar and water solution is as effective as anything I have ever seen.....cider vinegar of course. I try to keep it "green and clean".....no "bought" products here :(

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 am

I do use some homemade products; I also buy some GREEN products. Unfortunately, I often buy what is cheapest.

I do, try to grow my own veg, I compost, I am bad at recycling; but, I do reuse paper bags, plastic bags, and bottles. Definitely food scraps; use coffee ground and bananas for my plants, etc.

So, I don't do the best, but I try.
---------------------------
Generic vs Brand ... I buy generic most often. I found most is just is good or sometimes better.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:01 pm

With prices growing on every darn thing, its almost impossible to buy brand name any more. I think there are a few favorites that everyone keeps buying. Me, its Heinz ketchup. I won't budge from that. But I do give the generic a chance or even a label I haven't seen before a chance if its cheaper. It's all about the mighty dollar. But on meat, I don't skimp. I try to find the cheapest but I have found going to the meat locker is the best buy. You don't even have to drain the grease off the ground beef, its so lean. There isn't any grease! Plus you will be amazed how much cheaper it works out, you actually get more meat without all that fat added.

JanieTeachGal

Post by JanieTeachGal » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi, all! Newbie here! I tend more toward the Store Brand rather than Brand Names (not only from a cost perspective, but also I don't like some of the business practices of the huge corporations). I have found that World Table (a Wal-Mart high-end store brand) and Archer Farms (high-end for Target) are actually more expensive than the comparable brand name in some cases (but oh, so yummy!). Toilet paper, paper towels, and other annoying-to-embarrassing-to-purchase paper products I tend to buy in bulk (and am waiting for a store brand to get the picture and produce packaging sizes accordingly). I tend to like the Sam's brand which used to be Member's Mark but has since changed names but not quality. I really like Kroger brand products; my parents enjoy a 10% senior discount on all Kroger products (although they now have a high-end easily addictive line as well). Since my DH goes through a lot of orange juice, he has had to get used to store brand orange juice (Kroger, Brookshires). He has told me, however, that the Great Value orange juice tends to taste "off" unless we get the small jug-premium Great Value o.j. (which defeats the purpose).