Great finds at the library bookstore!

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Great finds at the library bookstore!

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I love my local library! It has a great little used bookstore in the entry area where they sell not only used books (with plenty of cookbooks!) but also magazines and even some DVDs and CDs.

I stopped in today and found 7 old issues of Gourmet magazine from 1999 and 2009, plus one much older issue of Southern Living from 1985. I paid $2.00 total. Ever since I discovered that they sell old magazines, I make a point of stopping in there to see what they have added. Usually the magazines are more recent - from the past few months or so. I never feel that urge to pick up a copy at the grocery store checkout now, since I know I will likely find at least some of those same issues in the library store in a few months.

Deepster

Re: Great finds at the library bookstore!

Post by Deepster » Wed May 29, 2013 6:29 pm

HF, that's a great way to save money, and I do essentially the same thing. We have a beautiful public library....state of the art in everything. In this little town, our library(the County Library), is awesome!! It has actually won several architectural awards and "best of the best" awards for all kinds of things :shock: . People actually come from around the country to gawk at this thing. So, here in town, we have a group called "Friends of the Library". It operates a used library bookstore, and takes cast-offs from the library as well as donations from the community. Last month, I bought all 12 issues of the 2012 Southern Living for $1. I would not in this lifetime buy a mag at the super market checkout when I can get deals like that.

I LOVE magazines, but when I take a look at the retail price, I hold my ground on such extravagance ;) . Sounds like you've found a steal in picking up some great mags at a terrific price, AND you are helping out the library, too ;) .

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

Deepster wrote:HF, that's a great way to save money, and I do essentially the same thing. We have a beautiful public library....state of the art in everything. In this little town, our library(the County Library), is awesome!! It has actually won several architectural awards and "best of the best" awards for all kinds of things :shock: . People actually come from around the country to gawk at this thing. So, here in town, we have a group called "Friends of the Library". It operates a used library bookstore, and takes cast-offs from the library as well as donations from the community. Last month, I bought all 12 issues of the 2012 Southern Living for $1. I would not in this lifetime buy a mag at the super market checkout when I can get deals like that.

I LOVE magazines, but when I take a look at the retail price, I hold my ground on such extravagance ;) . Sounds like you've found a steal in picking up some great mags at a terrific price, AND you are helping out the library, too ;) .
:) :) :)

Sue

Post by Sue » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Cincinnati has a Library friends group that takes care of their donations and cast offs. They have their main library sale downtown right now in a convention area. They have so many books they can't put them all out and have new ones each day during the sale. The branch libraries have annual sales too. But my favrotie is the warehouse sales they have now every Saturday in Hartwell which is like an entire library for sale. And they keep filling it up. You can get cookbooks from around 50 cents to 5 dollars.
It pays to find out when the library has its annual sell-off.
And I don't live in Cincinnati but it also pays to check into what the nearer big cities have to offer.