My $5 mini shopping trip

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

My $5 mini shopping trip

Post by HeatherFeather » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I am so happy - I went to the store today armed with a whopping 2 coupons - that is it! I wanted to grab a couple of buy one get one free offers at my local grocery store, plus the coupons I had were for things on my list.

I got:
2 Dove deodorants
1 box of Barilla fettucine
1 box of Barilla whole grain mini shell pasta
1 jar of imported red currant jelly (normally a $4.90/ jar)

My bill came to $5.23 - not bad!! I saved almost $8.

Just goes to show that you don't need to buy a bunch of junk food or bring in stacks of coupons to save a lot at your regular stores. I paid attention to when the items I planned to buy anyway went on sale. I am in the habit of checking any expensive items (like the jelly) and see if they drop to a price I am willing to pay. Almost every brand and every item will eventually go on sale - you just need to pay attention.

I didn't buy a lot of stuff this time because I didn't need anything else - and I stuck to just my list.

Kchurchill5

Re: My $5 mini shopping trip

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:09 am

Definitely a bargain!
I love red currant jelly. Smuckers used to make one; now I can only find an organic one which is yes, about $4+. But it is good.

Great Savings!

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:30 pm

I can't necessarily say these things were $5 bargains, or just bargains. It seems a lot of after Christmas sales are going on. I got 2 10.5 oz bags of Dove chocolates today for $6....10 bags of cookies..."Just the Basics" for 50 cents each....a large jar of Maxwell House instant coffee for $4.58......mixed, lightly salted nuts(no peanuts) for BOGO, about $3 each, bought 2...these were just a few buys from CVS.

From Ingles Market (grocery), 1lb. baby spinach, 1.99.....1lb. ground pork, 1.49....1lb. 93/7 ground beef, 2.48......2lb. fresh chicken tenders 4.17....the savings go on.

With all the savings, I treated myself to another bottle of "fish sauce", a bottle of sesame cooking oil, and a number of "I really don't" NEED this items.

This is only a partial list of food "finds". It seemed lik everywhere I turned there was another "bargain".

I must say that instant coffee is not regularly on my "food" list, I often buy such products in Winter due to sometimes severe storms. However, chocolate is its own food group :D , and don't deprive myself in any way. The meats were just simply great buys. I had a great day buying things I use regularly, yet "sprinkling" my grocery cart with "I just WANT that" items.

Wish I could list everything, but the mind gives....

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Deepster, I think you got some great deals. I look at deals as getting a bargain on stuff I normally use.

I got a pork butt today for $6. I didn't even pay attention to the weight, already in the freezer - but BIG. I know what I have paid before, so I know it was a deal. Make a great pulled pork; and at least 6 meals or more. I also got more whole chickens for 69 cents/lb. DEAL. I bought 3. Whole chickens, not big; but only 3.50-4 each. Heck that is a bargain as far as I am concerned.

I got one the other day, did it in the crock pot. I didn't want the skin, just the meat. It was one of the bet chickens ever, moist and tender. EASY TOO. Six hrs in the crock, just season, set on onions and turn on.

Anyways, I bagged 2 small bags for the freezer, had 2 sammies, then made cream of turkey (chicken) tonight for dinner; I had a big plate and have another plate for dinner. The 2 small bags; one would be perfect for chicken on a dinner salad; the other, great for a wrap sandwich, ravioli, or tacos. So I figure 4-6 dinners, 1 chicken for under 4 dollars.

They also had Barilla BOGO, which is always good and canned Delmonte tomatoes BOGO. Can't go wrong with those.

I think those were my only bargains for the week.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:29 pm

WOW, Kc! Those aren't just deals, they are steals. I was back in town today and went into one grocery store. No real deals or steals to be had....bummer. Some weeks are good, others just the regular. Unlike many people, I JUST LOVE to grocery shop. Many think I'm nuts, but I can easily spend 1 or more hours in a grocery store.....especially if bargains abound. And, I also am an avid label reader. I want to know the nutritional content of eveything I touch, as well as the contents. At least that part of shopping serves me well :D .

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:46 pm

You did very good Heather! I wish I could save money everytime I go to the store it's an easy 100.00 out of my pocket, and these days 100.00 bucks really doesn't buy you much, I remember the days way back when I could buy a week's worth of groceries for that money

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:48 pm

Deepster wrote:WOW, Kc! Those aren't just deals, they are steals. I was back in town today and went into one grocery store. No real deals or steals to be had....bummer. Some weeks are good, others just the regular. Unlike many people, I JUST LOVE to grocery shop. Many think I'm nuts, but I can easily spend 1 or more hours in a grocery store.....especially if bargains abound. And, I also am an avid label reader. I want to know the nutritional content of eveything I touch, as well as the contents. At least that part of shopping serves me well :D .
Deepster you will be happy with our phase two launch, we have nutritional facts on all recipes :)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm

I agree Deepster ... 1 week great, 1 week nothing. But this week they had fresh catfish for 3.99 lb. I got 4 fillets for the freezer for under $5. I love catfish now and then.

But, I try to be careful and not over buy. I just cleaned out my pantry.

A very important lesson to be learned ... DO NOT STORE a can of coffee, ON THE TOP shelf. I went to get it down to fill up my smaller container on the counter. I use 1 tablespoon of the ground reg, and 2 tablespoons of fresh ground decaf beans. Anyways ... a tupperware lid was underneath and it slipped. The top fell off and 2 lbs of coffee all through my pantry. What a mess. So the pantry got cleaned and organized.

Made a list of 10 small pantry items I like to keep on hand that I need to pick up.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 am

Groceries are so much more expensive here in MN, than they were in GA. I was so in sticker shock when I first got here. I think I am getting used to it. In the small town I live in, we only have 2 places to get groceries. Walmart and SuperOne. SuperOne sends weekly ads out and then also sends out monthly coupons. The monthly mailing has super cheap items, but limits you to like 2 items only BUT the price is only good for that particular week. Thing is, its hard to remember whats on sale that week. Hard to also go in for just those items too! :lol: So of course, they got you, go in for your great price on say 2 items and come out with much more. One thing though, one week I went in for canned tomatoes at 15 cents a can, limit 4 and found a one day special of sargento cheese on sale for 99 cents a bag! 8 ounces, I got all I could, budget wise, but mozzarella was out, so I got a raincheck and the raincheck said any sargento cheese, which was the deal, so my next payday, I went in and got like 30 bags of cheese, literally cleaned them out! all for 99 cents. Into the freezer they went! Still have like 15+ bags! :D

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:19 pm

I also have a hard time sticking to my list - although I have been trying really hard ever since money got so tight for me. I allow myself a few items extra, but I try not to go beyond that.

Yes, I agree - $100 doesn't seem to buy nearly as much as it did even a year ago. My budget got tighter and yet I feel like I often need to spend more than I had expected to ever since the end of summer. A lot of prices went way up and stayed up.