My $5 mini shopping trip

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
Deepster

Re: My $5 mini shopping trip

Post by Deepster » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:23 pm

My $5 mini shopping trip today netted me 8 S/L, B/L thighs today for 3.78. There was another package there that though marked down, it was 5.67. We're talking less than 50 cents per serving! There was no diff in the two packages, so I just figure a butcher's weighing mistake got me a super deal! I don't mind taking them. They did wonderful baked in the oven with thick BBq sauce. Served w/some rice and steamed okra. Nice meal for next to nothing.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 pm

I definitely call that a Bargain Deepster! I always check the entire meat counter. Sometimes, I find exactly that - something mismarked. Kudos to you.

A few weeks ago I was buying fresh mozz. One of the balls was marked 1.99. NOT 5.99. I couldn't believe it. I kept looking and found 3 more.
OK, I could of said something, but I buy a ton from the store and good stuff too. I said why NOT. I went up and bought all 3. I felt sort of bad, but heck, it makes up for the time when I got home and my ground beef was missing, or I left the case of soda in the cart. =)) =)) =))

Finding deals like that always make me feel good. :D

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:10 pm

I actually asked the butcher if he would call me before he marked down meat and he said sure! He called today and I got ground beef, 90% meat, 10% fat (they call it diet lean) for $2.99 a pound. I call that a great deal! It was marked down due to age, but froze it immediately, its still good meat. Used some for Kittencals Famous Parmesan Meatballstonight. ;) Just ask, they might do it! Actually, I got a text.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Dis, you are right.

I always ask my butcher at my local grocery store or the butcher at the local meat market what they have marked down. They aren't selling anything bad ... just what they NEED to sell,

Last time I was there I got Italian sausage (a pkg of 8) for 2.99. They pulled out too many for St Patties day, so the day after ... on sale. Fine by me, they have been frozen all this time.

Dis, right on with asking ... butcher or grocery store. Just ASK. Too many times, people think they have to buy what is in the MEAT CASE. Not true. There are many sales, deals; and the butcher can often sell you deals.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 pm

Yup Kim, he didn't put anything special "up" for me, just told me he was going to be putting things on "managers specials" which is just marked down meats for fast sells. Told me what time and I went. Got some great deals! I told him how much I appreciated it, and he just smiled. I think it made him happy to do it.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:52 pm

One thing I do know that MOST grocers will do is do you right if something is "on sale", and you ask for a full CASE of it....for instance Tilapia(though I no longer eat this fish). Once it was on sale at one of the four grocery stores nearby, at an unbelievable price. I asked the meat monger what I could get a case for, and he ordered it for me, AND knocked down the price by another 20 cents per pound. This was a steal! So, don't be shy about asking the meat dept. head if a "better deal" can be struck. After all, they really want you coming back week after week. And, most of all, they want you to be a happy customer. Four grocers in this small town brings an abundance of competition.