My latest kitchen bargains from yard sales etc

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

My latest kitchen bargains from yard sales etc

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:43 am

I love when I can find cool kitchen items or cookbooks at yard sales or other "used" items stores like thrift shops or etsy, etc.

I recently found two Ina Garten cookbooks in great condition at a thrift shop for $1 each (Barefoot Contessa Family Style and Barefoot Contessa in Paris). I also picked up a real Tupperware microwave dish, the kind with the pop-top lid for steam venting. It is a rectangular shape and fits perfectly in my narrow fridge & freezer. I already have 2 more just like it that I use all the time to freeze half portions of casserole recipes. I paid $2.

I also just ordered some used community type cookbooks online (used) - someone was having a clearance sale on a large lot of them, so I got the books for a great price. It will be fun looking through them and hopefully finding some great vintage recipes. (total of 28 community cookbooks, paid $12 total, plus $10 shipping - less than $1 per book).

I also found some Pampered Chef bread tubes that appeared to be unused - even the recipe instructions were still inside. I paid $1 total for 2 bread tubes. I used to have a set I had bought new, but got rid of in a yard sale of my own. I regretted selling them ever since, so I am really happy to have them back. I got the heart shape and flower shape. They are one of those seldom used items - but once or twice a year I found myself wishing I still had them. Now I do!

What cool things have you picked up recently for your kitchen that you got for a great clearance/bargain price?

HeatherFeather

Re: My latest kitchen bargains from yard sales etc

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:56 pm

This weekend I grabbed a few more cookbooks - all were 25-50 cents each. I got a Pampered Chef book (the blue one they let charity groups sell) and three Strawberry Festival cookbooks (from different years). All looked brand new and have some good recipes in them.

I also got a Tupperware celery keeper for .50 - I always have a bag in my fridge and this will hopefully keep it crisp longer, not to mention allow me to stack something on top of it without bruising the celery.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

This weekend I hit gold at some great estate/yard sales:

1 set Oneida silverplate flatware - $12.50. I had already been in the market for a new set of flatware to use everyday, and had already been strongly considering Oneida brand anyway, sets were running about $25-30 new. This is a much nicer looking vintage set with a red cloth pouch to hold all of the pieces, service for 6. Just needs some cleaning :)

For $1 I found an electric yogurt maker, no instructions. I eat lots of yogurt and had already thought about making some at home - I figured for a dollar, it was worth a try.

A pile of cookbooklets, magazine clippings, cut out recipes - $1, quite a bunch of nice stuff in there

Several kitchen gadgets, all in great condition, from Pampered Chef and Tupperware - stuff I needed like new BBQ tongs from PC, etc - I got a whole pile of stuff, all .50 each, except the tongs which were $2

2 onion half keepers from Tupperware - these look brand new, $1

Nice big Williams Sonoma all seasons cookbook - $2

lovely Japanese stoneware tea set - 2 mugs, tray, and a pot - $4

kberry

Post by kberry » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:59 pm

Sounds like you really hit the jack pot when you shop!
I love going to thrifts and garage sales too.
Years ago I had a "roll-a-matic" gadget and I loved it so much.
You hold it in your hand and roll the blades across stuff like garlic, onions, peppers and so on.
My ex husband took it when we got divorced and I have missed it so much.
I never could find one after that.
Well 16 years later I did find one in the good will store here.
It's even better because this one is stainless.
I love it to death and want it buried with me!

I paid 3.00 for it.

Kuchenprofi Rolling 4-Blade Herb Cutter in 18/10 Stainless Steel

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:49 am

Hah! I used to have that metal one! I have another one I got as a gift that has a green handle that I kept, the metal one eventually got gunked up and I had gotten rid of it. Then a few years later, someone got me a similar one for Christmas.

I get a lot of neat things around here. I live in Florida and they have so many yard sales and huge grocery store sized thrift shops. I can often find really great things.

I should start taking pictures of some of my goodies :)

DianaCooks

Post by DianaCooks » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am

Heather you sure did find some great items at great prices, so many great things have been found at yard sales :)
Last edited by DianaCooks on Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

kberry

Post by kberry » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:15 am

Usually we have lots of sales around here too but this year is slim pick'ens.

I went by a house yesterday but didn't have time to stop and shop.
He yard sale sign :
Pickers sale! :lol:

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:17 am

I always check out the garage sales website - you can enter your zipcode and it will show allll of the sales for that weekend. It even has a trip planner so you can mark any sales you want to stop at and it will put it on a printable map for you.

Very handy! Here is the link to Garage Saler:
http://gsalr.com/