Been using and losing

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
crazyndncook

Been using and losing

Post by crazyndncook » Mon May 21, 2012 1:50 am

With all the challenges we have been having, I have been inspired to use or lose some of my food storage. I have emptied 7 containers of fruits and veggies, used up spices, gave away bags of fruits that I was never going to get around to using. I am also getting around to realizing that there are kitchen appliances that I am just not using and need to get rid of.

Then the other weekend I was making bread and realized that I was out of flour, ended up heading to the local store to pick up small bag. When checking for flour I realized that all my back-up buckets were empty. So the shopping trip this weekend was about stocking up on the staples, well most of them.

HeatherFeather

Re: Been using and losing

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm

I have been trying to use up a lot of stuff in my pantry too. I just keep getting smacked with huge expenses that have depleted my savings, so I have been really trying even harder to cut costs where I can. Even though I don't really have what I would consider to be a true stockpile, I do still have plenty of pantry items that I can eat off of if I really need to - and they can last me a while.

I am going to try to use only pantry items next week, with the possible exception of eggs and dairy items. My dd will be with her dad and it will be a week where I can just deal with eating up anything she normally might not want to eat, but I am willing to just to get it used up.

Pretty sure Omaha Steaks will be having their huge clearance this weekend too - I think it was Memorial Day weekend last year when I bought something like $275 worth of meat for $60. I still have some of that meat in my freezer! I will check out their sale and restock - can't miss that sale.

Kchurchill5

Re: Been using and losing

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon May 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Good for you guys! I really try hard to do that, and every few weeks do a major clean out. It really is to go through the kitchen, pantry, appliances, etc often and really think about what needs to be used.