Cleaning out the Fridge and finding meals

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

Cleaning out the Fridge and finding meals

Post by HeatherFeather » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

What are some ways you clean out your fridge and make a no-recipe meal?

I often will make a quiche using up any leftover cooked/sauteed veggies & meats.

I also make a baked potato bar and use leftover sauces & veggies as toppers.

Sometimes I make a stir fry of stray veggies, adding in some freshly sauteed chicken or beef or pork strips, some Asian sauces, and either rice or noodles.

I also scrounge together all of my leftover veggies (and sometimes meat if it seems like it will be ok in the soup) and make a veggie soup... which is what I have cooking right now.

I chopped up the rest of a huge onion, a yellow bell pepper, 2 tiny zucchini that were about to die on me. Sauteed them all in a small amount of olive oil until the onion got soft, adding a ton of regular Mrs Dash table blend and a tiny bit of garlic salt. Then I threw in a box of chicken broth (low sodium), a small can of fire roasted tomatoes, and a can of canary beans, with a bit some Mrs Dash. It is all simmering now. Oh! And I chopped up the rest of my mustard baked ham leftovers (about 2 cups I think) and threw that in too, and a tiny tiny garlic clove, sliced thinly.

Dissie

Re: Cleaning out the Fridge and finding meals

Post by Dissie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:41 pm

Heather, I pretty much do the same as you. Make a soup or a casserole type of thing. Infact I just did that yesterday when I made a veggie soup. I used leftover green beans, and the makings for tacos, ( cut up bell peppers, onions and tomatoes.) All went into the pot, with a plethora of new veggies, but it was great to get it all used up, so nothing was wasted. I really think everyone needs to do this atleast once a week to use up the leftovers.

Christianna

Post by Christianna » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:39 pm

I don't usually have lots of leftovers and if I do it most always gets used up at midnight, I do love to read about what people do with there leftovers.

Beef ---- usually sandwiches or beef pot pie

chicken ---- a whole lot of things you can do with leftovers I love to make casseroles

fish -- you can make pattties then fry them

freezing leftovers is always a great idea you will always have something for a meal when you want it, although I find ham is not a good thing to feeze

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Christy I freeze ham all the time, but after thinking about it, I use it things such as casseroles or soups. Never just thaw and eat as a ham. Hmmmmm

JanieTeachGal

Post by JanieTeachGal » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:12 pm

I used to use leftover veg scraps in soups, but I have to admit I haven't been as vigilant as of late. I tend to use up leftover bits as potato bar or nacho bar items. Full meals' worth are converted into lunches or used toward leftover Thursday. After Canadian Thanksgiving last year (we celebrate both, as DH is Canadian), I managed to make eight leftover plates of Thanksgiving leftovers after a few days.