This month's budget - yikes!

Share your tips and ideas on making the most of meals!
HeatherFeather

This month's budget - yikes!

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 am

Ugh, after expecting a nice fat refund this year (like last year) it looks like instead I owe a boatload and it will completely wipe out my month's funds (and then some, since the month isn't exactly over yet ><).

What this means is: I need to cut down any possible loose expenses I can.

So, I am going to try as hard as possible to scrounge whatever I can from my food budget by limiting all food purchases this month to bare essentials only. I do have a lot of ingredients in the house already, so no one is going to be starving. But I will have to be extra creative in order to come up with meals all month.

I am also going to try to be extra vigilant with coupon savings for the times I do go shopping for things. I already use coupons to save money - but I have to admit that sometimes I get lazy about it and don't plan before I hit the store. I will have to try to find money somehow, so hopefully I can get coupons to work a little harder for me this month.

I saved $40 on my bill last week, which was great (that was between my coupons and also store savings, lots of buy one get one free stuff last week from the normal sales). For the rest of this month (and possibly into next month as well), my usual food budget of $100/week will instead be "essentials only" - no special ingredients, no buying missing ingredients for a recipe, no organics/brand names unless they cost less with a coupon than the cheapest version. If I can't make a recipe with what I have at home, then I have to find something different to make. i.e my food budget will be as close to $0 as possible. Yeah, this is going to be tough.

My essentials are basically milk, eggs, fresh produce, and anything my dd needs for her school lunches. I have meat in the freezer, staples in my pantry, canned goods, plenty of spices & baking ingredients.

HeatherFeather

Re: This month's budget - yikes!

Post by HeatherFeather » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:24 am

Well, it is Friday and I haven't had to buy any groceries yet this week, so that is good. My fridge is looking pretty sparse, but the freezer still has plenty of food in it I can thaw out. I have decided to try not to buy anything until one of my essentials runs out, and I am getting pretty close to that point with milk and a couple of other things.

Every week that I don't spend anything on food means about 75-100 saved, so I am trying really hard to do that if I can.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 am

Just an idea for you.

http://www.supercook.com/

Its a recipe search, where you put in the ingredients you have on hand and it suggests recipes. Of course you don't have to use "their" recipes but it gives you ideas. ;)

invictus

Post by invictus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am

I can relate and it is definitely hard but it's amazing how creative you can get when you need to. :D

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear of your struggles this month. We got less back on our refund too. Lucky for us hubby was able to get a job, which helped out. We have been taking hits on our budget. First I went on medical leave for gallbladder surgery, but since the paper work put in by the Dr. said one week and I wasn't ready, medical insurance only paid out 1 1/2 weeks, but I was off 2. I lucked out I was able to get paid for Spring Break so I wasn't paid for 3 days, and because hubby had to miss 1 day of work to take me for my surgery we missed another day of pay. Then the kids are sick this week, hubby took off Tuesday and me Friday. So this past month we missed out on 6 days of pay.

Then on top of that we sold hubby's car in anticipation of buying a truck for towing our travel trailer this summer. Well we sold the car at a major loss, we originally paid $900 cash and a trade of our old car (we paid $1400 for the car but planned on selling it for $1000, because the hood was crushed in after it rolled into the older truck we own). We bought another truck, hubby didn't totally check out the truck before we bought it, aka didn't check out the 4x4, and bought it ($2000), turns out one hub is damaged, so we are going to sell it at a loss. We don't think we can bring the truck back for our money because it is a private third person sale, and they are considered "As Is" sales. No buyer protection.

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Sorry about your truck woes. My car gives me headaches too. I am due for an oil change and such and I can't really afford it right now.

Had to buy groceries today since I was really running out of most necessary items. Luckily I didn't need to buy any meat, since I have plenty in the freezer. I did need dairy and some lunch things for my dd, and I was almost all out of fresh produce.

Spent $48 at the regular grocery, $24 at the farmer's market for almost all of my produce (which was quite a bit actually). I wish I could have just not bought anything, but hopefully this will last me til the end of the month.

Oh and I just realized I forgot an important item and will have to go back >< ugh. So another few dollars, which should bring my full total to $75.

To clarify: this means I will be (hopefully) getting 2 weeks out of that $75 spent, and since I didn't buy any groceries at all last week, that is not too bad. Only $75 over 3 weeks on food is pretty good I guess.